If you’ve yet to catch up on all the latest Final Fantasy XIV news from the 2019 Paris Fan Festival, we’ve put together a handy rundown of all the announcements made during the opening keynote speech.
Here are 18 things you need to know about the upcoming Shadowbringers expansion and how the game will be changing in the coming months.
The release date
- Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers has a worldwide release date of July 2nd, 2019.
New roles & characters
- Shadowbringers will introduce two new job classes, the first being the Gunbreaker. This tank role fighter as a gunblade as their primary weapon, which closely resemble the weapons used by characters from Final Fantasy VIII, and uses magicked ammunition to power its lethal slash attacks.
- In order to unlock the Gunbreaker, you’ll require the Shadowbringers expansion and a level 60 character, the job quest will appear in Gridania.
- There’s also a new playable race: the Viera. Bunny-eared and scantily clad, you may already be familiar with these new arrivals, which made their debut in Final Fantasy XII.
- Pixies will appear in Shadowbringers as the newest beast tribe, a renowned faction of arcane tricksters led by their Primal, Titania.
New locations, dungeons & raids
- Shadowbringers will introduce new areas such as the Rak-tika Greatwoods and Il Mheg, home to the pixies.
- Shadowbringers will add 9 new dungeons as well as a new high-end raid series.
- The expansion will bump the game’s level cap up to 80. The original level cap for XIV was 50.
- The team are continuing to roll out battle system maintenance. Yoshida-san didn’t give any exact details though hinted at certain class powers being merged together, probably to make room for the new ones being introduced in Shadowbringers. A producer’s letter in may will go into further detail regarding these changes.
New Game + & NPC trust
- An NPC trust system will allow you to team up with characters from the main story, adding some cinematic flair to encounters while also being great aid to those wanting to run the game solo.
- A New Game+ feature is also coming to Final Fantasy XIV, letting you replay key quests using your current equipment loadout.
YoRHa: Dark Apocalypse
- New Alliance raids will see guest creators Yoko Taro and Yosuke Saito release NieR: Automata themed content for Final Fantasy XIV dubbed “YoRHa: Dark Apocalypse”. You can read more about that here.
Special editions & pre-orders
- Preorders for the expansion will open next week on February 6th, 2019.
- Standard and collector’s editions are both available. The latter comes in a big shiny box that includes a Warrior of Light statue, an art book, a full deck of playing cards, a cling vinyl, and – of course – a copy of the game itself. There are some in-game goodies too: a wind-up Fran minion, Grani mount, and “Revolver” style gunblade based on Squall’s signature weapon in Final Fantasy VIII.
- Preordering either version of the game will unlock a Baby Gremlin minion and a pair of Aetheryte Earrings.
Early access for Shadowbringers starts on June 28th, exclusively to those who preorder the expansion.
- Square Enix has partnered with Twitch for a limited time promotion, offering Prime members a free starter edition of Final Fantasy XIV that includes 30 days of game time.
Yoshida-san, cosplayer extraordinaire
- Finally, you have to hand it to Yoshida-san, the man knows how to give a keynote speech, even when decked out in full Gunbreaker regalia!