Respawn have taken it slow and steady with Apex Legends, putting the working conditions of their employees ahead of making the most of their early success. It’s made season 1 of its battle pass a bit of a drag, but it’s also left a bunch of bugs and issues lying unaddressed. This week’s update basically targets every single audio bug and quirk in the game and tries to fix them, in addition to improving hit detection further and the ‘thicc boi’ tweaks for Gibraltar and Caustic.
For audio, they’ve dropped the master volume for the load in screens, meaning it will no longer deafen every living creature within a five mile radius of your TV, they’ve improved performance so that sounds should no longer drop, go missing or distort, and tweaked the balance for nearby enemy sounds.
There’s also tweaks to behind the scenes hit detection tracking, so they can continue to diagnose issues there, the bug they accidentally introduced with the “Pick Me Up” banner on PS4 has been resolved, and you won’t see health damage to Gibraltar and Caustic before their shields have been depleted.
The update will be coming out early this week. Here’s the patch notes:
- Improved audio engine to be around 30% more CPU efficient, lessening the chance of distortion or dropouts.
- Lowered impact on data loading through code and content changes to improve potential dropout issues.
QUALITY OF LIFE
- Lowered the master volume of all sounds during the character select screen through the end of the drop sequence.
- Lowered the volume of Wraith’s ambient kunai knife sound for those who are sensitive to the sound. If it is still bothersome we will remove it in a later patch.
- Increased the volume of close proximity enemy footsteps for all Legends.
- Increased the priority of enemy footsteps to ensure the sounds play even in heavy combat situations.
- Slightly lowered the volume of Pathfinder footstep sounds heard from the first person view.
- Fixed missing or quiet dryfire (out of ammo trigger click sound) and low ammo (the progressive change in sound that the gun makes as the magazine approaches empty) sounds for the R301, Hemlok, Flatline and RE45.
- Increased the volume of the music that plays when winning a match.
- Added more detailed audio to the Training mission.
- Fixed occlusion bug for the “wind down” sound for the Havoc.
- Fixed issue with automatic weapon fire sounds occasionally getting stuck on, usually after a Legend respawns.
- Fixed bug with RE45 missing tail sounds (the echo in the environment after the shot) when in close proximity.
FIX FOR LIFELINE “PICK ME UP” BANNER BUG ON PS4
- The issue has been resolved and we will be re-enabling the banner after the patch is live.
- NOTE: We made changes to client and backend to address this and it’ll take a little time to take full effect. We’re expecting the error to resolve within a few hours after the patch is live.
[PC ONLY] CRASHES SPECIFIC TO INTEL CPUs
We investigated the crash reports from many people who were crashing frequently and found that Intel CPUs sometimes were not executing the instructions properly in one particular function. […] This has been by far the most commonly reported PC crash over the last month or so and we’ve notified Intel about the issue. In the meantime, we’ve put a workaround in this patch to avoid the crashing at your original clock speeds just by changing the instructions used by that one function.
ADDITIONAL BUG FIXES AND CHANGES
- Fixed issue with the Fortified Passive ability for Gibraltar and Caustic where they would take damage through shields.
- Fixed the bug that allowed players to stick objects to Gibraltar’s Gun Shield.
- Admittedly it’s been fun to see the results of this but the behavior is not intended by design and could get out of control. Items will no longer stick to Gibraltar’s Gun Shield, however, it will now deflect Arc Stars.
- We have identified some issues with -novid, and will be disabling the flag until we can address the issues. Thank you for your patience