When Death Stranding launches in November there will be a special edition console to play it on. The white console has the Death Stranding hand prints across the top and the new Dualshock is transparent yellow to make it look like the container which holds Sam’s BB. It’s a 1TB PlayStation Pro and you also get a copy of the game.
Strands, sticks and ropes, bananas, Kojima has ‘explained’ Death Stranding to us before using metaphors and similes but now he has explained how the game works and what it is about using straight forward language.
Death Stranding is a completely new type of action game, where the players goal is to reconnect isolated cities and a fragmented society. All elements, including the story and gameplay, are bound together by the theme of “Strand”, or connection.
As Sam Porter Bridges, you will attempt to “Bridge” these divisions, and in doing so, create new bonds or “Strands” with other players around the globe. Through your experience of playing the game, I hope you’ll come to understand the true importance of forging connections with others.
Here are some of the key features in the game, harvested from the recent TGS demo.
- You will come across items left behind by other players – this is the asynchronous multiplayer that was previously mentioned. If you find a piece of kit that really helps you, you can leave a “like” for your fellow delivery person. You can also find cargo dropped by other players.
- There’s a lot of customisation from arm attachments to different skeletons that allow faster movement.
- Being alone, taking in the view, and chilling out is part of the game, as is a nice dip in a hot spring.
- You can drive trucks, bikes, or use a hovering carrier to transport his deliveries. The carrier can also be transformed in to a hoverboard.
- You will need to drop your load in order to fight effectively. There are boss fights.
- Items, such as footwear, can wear out.
- You can have a poo as well as a wee, not sure if a number 2 makes mushrooms grow.
Death Stranding is out on PlayStation 4 on November 8th. Excited?