It has been revealed that Destiny is the second best selling first person shooter franchise in the United States, Call of Duty obviously being the top game. This fact was revealed US Video Games Industry Analyst and NPD Group member Mat Piscatella.
He also revealed the franchise is the seventh best selling series since it launched in September 2014.
Destiny 2: Shadowkeep launches tomorrow. Since its debut in Sept '14, Destiny is the #2 best-selling FPS franchise in U.S. dollar sales, trailing only Call of Duty. Destiny is also the 7th overall best-selling franchise in tracked sales in that period. Source: The NPD Group pic.twitter.com/z66MccNp0G
— Mat Piscatella (@MatPiscatella) September 30, 2019
Which begs the question, if it was making a shed load of money why on earth did Activision let it go? Activision are all about making money, they have no pretence of making games as art of anything like that, it’s all about the dollars so why get rid of something making them lots of lovely cash?
Destiny is currently offline as Bungie prepare for the launch of Shadowkeep and Destiny 2: New Light, which is the free to play version of the game. Both of these are now available to download so you can be ready for when the game comes online again around 6pm tonight.
If you are new to the game then there’s a lot of catch up and YouTuber ‘My name is Byf’ has put together a huge four hour long video explaining the entire lore of the game, including major events the backstories of the universe.
Bungie have also posted a list of known issues for the game when it relaunches tonight.
Destiny 2: Shadowkeep/New Light key information
- Season Passes will be applied to the first set of characters that signs in. If you plan to Cross Save but will use other characters later, it’s recommended to set up Cross Save before logging in.
- Pre-order and bonus items can be found on Eris Morn after completing the first Moon mission.
- Forsaken subclasses are only available with a Forsaken or Shadowkeep game license.
- Pulling Legendary armor from Collections will always give Armor 1.0.
- Certain achievements/trophies can only be unlocked by owning Forsaken.
- The Premonition Legendary Pulse Rifle incorrectly states that it’s “Found by exploring the Moon” but the source is actually from the new dungeon, which will become available soon.
Destiny 2: Shadowkeep/New Light known issues
- Players have to wait a week if the “Firewall” quest step is dismantled after completing Eris’ weekly bounty. If the “Luna’s Calling” weekly quest is deleted before collecting rewards, and the bounty is reclaimed, player have to wait a week.
- Some players who started Destiny 2 for the first time right before maintenance on 9/30 will be at 0 Power when logging in. To resolve this, players will need to delete that character.
- The “Show Me What You Got” achievement/trophy can’t be unlocked by veteran players with three characters.
- Only Crucible daily bounties will count towards the Redrix’s Broadsword quest step, “The Constant.”
- Strike Playlist completions will count toward certain exotic quests, but Strikes selected on Destinations won’t.
- The “Enhance!” EDZ quest is no longer available to veteran characters.
- The Exodus Black Nessus quest can’t be reclaimed if abandoned.
- Previewing Crucible Engrams will incorrectly state that Forsaken is required to earn them.
- Certain warnings will appear for Nightfalls that require players to have certain mods equipped, but won’t account for teammate loadouts.
- The Scan Patrol Triumph won’t gain progress if scans are completed in the Moon’s Chasm area.
- Lunafaction Boots incorrectly state that using them in Rifts will automatically reload weapons, but they will actually increase weapon reload speed.