Square Enix have revealed Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker, the next major expansion to their long-running MMORPG. It will be coming to PlayStation 5 – with an early upgrade to the new gen console – PlayStation 4 and PC in Fall 2021.
Here’s the first teaser trailer for the new narrative expansion:
Alisaie and Alphinaud take the spotlight here, while The Warrior of Light has seemingly returned from the darkness that consumed him in Shadowbringers… and ended up on the Moon in the process? I’m sure there’s some reasonable explanation for that!
The expansion will take players back to Source after the adventures in the First, and there’s a brand new threat to the world building that will keep you occupied. For long-term players, the expansion promises the conclusion to the Hydaelyn and Zodiark story arc.
Producer and Director Naoki Yoshida also reeled off a number new features coming to the game, including:
- Journey to Thavnair, the imperial capital of Garlemald, and even the Moon!
- New Jobs: Sage and more
- Level Cap Increase from 80 to 90
- Expansive new areas, including Garlemald, Thavnair, and the city of Radz-at-Han.
- A New Tribe: the Arkasodara
- New threats, including Anima.
- New Dungeons
- Secrets Revealed in a New Alliance Raid Series
- New Small-scale PvP Mode
- An Additional “Trust” ally: Estinien Wyrmblood
- A New Residential District: Ishgard
- Updates to the Gold Saucer
- Relaxing Fun in Island Sanctuary
- New Gear and Crafting Recipes
- Expanded Horizons via the Data Center Travel System
But that’s not all… because a PlayStation 5 upgrade is coming well before we get to play Endwalker. The upgrade for Final Fantasy XIV will be made available with a PS5 open beta on 13th April free for all PS4 subscribers, and also with an upgraded version of the free trial. The full PS5 upgrade will coming soon after.
The game will obviously be enhanced to take advantage of the new console’s increased power, offering improved frame rates, faster loading times, 4K resolution support and more.
No news of the long-rumoured Xbox port, though…
Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker will be out this autumn for PS5, PS4 and PC, but expect plenty more details to be revealed at the Final Fantasy XIV Digital Fan Festival 2021, which will be held 15-16th May. Will we see an Xbox announcement at that time? Who knows!
Source: PS Blog