The Season 2 update for Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War and Warzone is now live, updating the game to version 1.12, but Activision have warned that you’ll need a lot of space on your console in order to install it. In fact, the behemoth games are now so big that you probably won’t have enough space to fit Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War, and the combined Modern Warfare/Warzone onto a standard PS4’s 500GB hard drive with all modes and content installed.
Season 2 brings a boat load of new content for the paired first person shooters. There’s four new Operators, six new weapons, four more multiplayer maps, new modes, Tools of the Trade, and Prestige levels. The Zombies mode is getting bigger as well with the new Outbreak level promising a new experience for fans of the mode. However, all of this adds on top of what was already games that were bursting at the seams.
The updates are now live to download, weighing in at the following sizes:
Black Ops Cold War Update Sizes
- PlayStation 5: 18.0 GB
- PlayStation 4: 10.5 GB
- Xbox One Series X / Xbox One Series S: 26.5 GB
- Xbox One: 15.3 GB
- PC: 13.7 GB
Warzone Update Sizes
- PlayStation 5: 17.0 GB
- PlayStation 4: 17.0 GB
- Xbox One Series X / Xbox One Series S: 17.9 GB
- Xbox One: 17.9 GB
- PC: 16.9 GB (Warzone Only) / 20.8 GB (Warzone and Modern Warfare)
The warning is exclusive to the PlayStation and PC versions of the game, and comes from the way that these platforms handle game installations, first downloading the data and then having to copy the new files into the existing install. While the PlayStation 5’s new data structure has helped to reduce install times and sizes, it seems that certain games aren’t necessarily making the most of this – Eurogamer’s Wesley Yin-Poole reports that the 17GB update demanded 100GB of free space on PS5.
So, as part of Activision’s heads up, they note the ways that you can reduce the size of the game by uninstalling certain data. You can uninstall modes you aren’t interested in,
- Black Ops Cold War: At the main menu, press R3 to go to “File Management.” You will then be able to delete any content you may not have played in a while. The exact content to choose can be found in the Storage Management article linked below.
- Modern Warfare/Warzone: At the main menu, press Options, select the “General” tab, then scroll down to “Game Installs.” From here, you can delete any content you have not played in a while.
On PC, there is a new patching process introduced with Season One Reloaded for Black Ops Cold War. This reduces download sizes, but does mean there is a new copying phase that means you need to have between 26GB and 30.85GB of free space.