A new update for Valheim is now available to download and install, patching the Viking survival game up to version 0.147.3.
Headlining this latest update from Swedish developer Iron Gate Studios are improvements to how Valheim handles its dedicated servers. There are other changes too, including a fix for Valheim’s Bonemass boss.
The team posted the following message on Valheim’s Steam page, talking through the new dedicated server changes:
Good day Valheimers!
Todays patch has some huge changes to dedicated servers. Dedicated servers now always use direct connections instead of using Steam Datagram Relay (SDR). This should result in much lower latency for most players. Private dedicated servers are enabled by adding “-public 0” to the server command line (See server manual PDF). You can only connect to private dedicated servers using the “Join IP”-button. I really hope this patch solves a lot of connection issues introduced in last weeks patches ( due to switching socket backend ). In addition to these dedicated-server fixes valve are also working on fixes to the SDR system (used when connecting to non-dedicated servers) and i believe there is already a beta-steam-client available that fixes some of these issues.
You can catch the rest of the Valheim update 0.147.3 patch notes below:
- Localization updates
- Made Haldor head-turn smoother
- Object network interpolation is skipped if object was far away, solved issue with network players flying through the air when entering dungeons & exiting portals etc
- Added -public 1/0 flag to dedicated server again, Allows players to host local lan only servers
- Join IP-button updated to allow for lan-connections (dedicated servers only) & added DNS support
- Dedicated servers use directIP connection instead of SDR, solves issues with slow steam relays in some areas of the world
- Bonemass puke-effect network fix
- Updated Dedicated-server PDF manual
- Prevent pickup items when entering portals
- Lowered wolf procreation slightly
- Lowered chance of boss trophy talking
Read more: Is Valheim coming to PS4 and Xbox?
Valheim recently smashed another milestone with 4 million copies of the game having been sold since its Steam early access launch in February. Iron Gate have big plans for their breakout survival game – for more information you should check out their Valheim development roadmap.