Insomniac Games have released Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart update 1.002 for PS5. The new patch serves up a long list of game fixes while also adding a great new photo mode feature, and a very unusual 40 frames per second option. Yes, 40.
The 40FPS option is enabled for Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart through new support for 120Hz displays. Where running at 40FPS would be horrible on a lower spec TV with a 60Hz input, high-end TVs with 120Hz support mean that 40FPS is a viable frame rate, refreshing the screen 33% faster and reducing input latency for a smoother feel. It’s a fascinating option, especially as it works in the game’s Fidelity graphics mode.
Ratchet & Clank fans will now be able to use colour backgrounds when snapping portraits of characters. Virtual game photographers usually need to find dark environments with optimal lighting to capture these kinds of shots. Insomniac have also pimped out Rift Apart’s photo mode with new stickers, poses, and weapon visibility options.
We added a few things to Photo Mode today! My favorite is the ability to isolate your favorite lombax by adding a solid color background for awesome hero shots!#RatchetPS5 pic.twitter.com/Xe60WIAhVD
— Gil Doron (@GilFromUI) June 30, 2021
Insomniacs PhotoModes are guarenteed legendary at this point ?
They just don’t miss ? (the new Update made things even smoother)
— Peter Dennis Reilly (@PeteyReilly) June 30, 2021
Read below for the latest Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart patch notes.
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart Update 1.002 Patch Notes
- Added new stickers
- Added the ability to disable the Phantom Dash VFX
- Added the ability to disable the Phantom Dash VFX in Photo Mode
- Added the ability to toggle armor on or off while in Photo Mode
- Added color backgrounds to Photo Mode
- Added 120 Hz Display Mode, which reduces input latency when using a compatible display. In this mode, the frame rate target for the Fidelity graphics mode increases to 40 frames per second
- Added “Skip Cutscenes” as bindable option for the D-pad
- Added the option to disable the level up message and slowdown
General Fixes & Polish
- Addressed an issue where a Glitch challenge could be played twice resulting in players being unable to complete one later
- Addressed an issue where white cubes could appear in the opening cinematic
- Addressed an issue where POIs could disappear.
- Addressed an issue where characters could appear blurry in Photo Mode when the camera is very close.
- Addressed an issue where the game could freeze during the grind rail tutorial.
- Addressed an issue where killing Grunthors with Trudi would not count towards the Extinction Event Trophy
- Addressed an issue where some Grunthors would not count towards the Extinction Event Trophy
- Addressed an issue where the weapon wheel UI could become stuck on the screen
- Addressed an issue where deployable weapons would stop attack pixelized enemies.
- Addressed an issue where the RYNO would appear to not damage enemies.
- Addressed an issue where the Weapon Vendor text was illegible in Retro Mode.
- Addressed an issue where the camera could become stuck on Blizar
- Addressed an issue where multiple environmental objects would not load on Cordelion
- Addressed an issue where the player could become stuck after completing the Clank puzzle on Sargasso
- Addressed an issue where some Zurpstones would not longer appear on the map if the player leaves the planet.
- Addressed an issue where Rivet would fall forever after respawning on Blizon
- Addressed an issue where Clank lines would play incorrectly while at Zurkies
- Addressed an issue where Goons could T-pose while dying
- Addressed an issue where a section of rail would not spawn after respawning on Blizar
- Addressed an issue where the game would appear very dark if Photo Mode was activated very quickly
- Addressed an issue where some jumps would not be possible if the Glide Toggle was enabled
- Addressed an issue where the player could fall endlessly during the Nefarious fight
- Addressed an issue where changing the Graphics Mode setting while starting a Challenge Mode game would start a normal game instead
- Addressed an issue where glove weapons would appear incorrectly in Photo Mode
- Addressed an issue where certain Photo Mode filters could remove anti-aliasing in the main game
- Improved stability
- Various additional fixes and improvements
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart launched on June 11th and has already been received well among gamers and reviewers. It is currently sitting on an OpenCritic score of 89, positioning it in joint first for the best-scoring video game of 2021 right next to Chicory: A Colorful Tale.
In our review of Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, we scored the sequel a mighty 9 out of 10:
“Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart is the PlayStation 5 showcase you have been waiting for. Instantaneous travel to worlds thanks to the SSD, thumping 3D audio, ray tracing through the gorgeous levels, and clever use of the DualSense bring the many locations to life. Paired with classic Ratchet & Clank gameplay, this game is a riotous feast of explosions, platforming, and fast paced action.”
Source: Insomniac Games