PlayStation Network Users Reach 60 Million

Oh my, that's a big number.

Microsoft wasn’t the only one flexing their network muscle on stage during CES; Sony announced that the PlayStation Network now has 60 million accounts created. I personally try not to get too caught up in the whole ‘which network has more users’ debate because I don’t think we can ever be 100% sure how they’re measured.

If I were to venture a guess, I would say that this figure probably also includes those on PSP and the official PlayStation website.  Even if that were true, 60 million is still a mighty large figure and I doubt you’ll have issues finding people to play with on-line.

Source: Joystiq

1. besidavi

What percentage are dummy accounts that have been used for exploiting game loopholes? I’ll bet it’s surprisingly big. GT5 for example will have produced many thousands of fake accounts in the past few weeks alone (duping cars, glitching).

Comment posted on 06/01/2011 at 06:23.
    • rainydays458
      Since: Aug 2010

same here I have 3 PSN accounts, I like to so whats happening on the japanese and amarican store. Mostly to see what the EU store isn’t getting.

Comment posted on 06/01/2011 at 08:19.
      • Tzares

I do the same :p
        but in my defence i actually use my american account aswell (some games you just cant wait for…)

Comment posted on 06/01/2011 at 10:09.
      • beeje13
        Since: Jan 2010

Don’t forget people who create new Live accounts for a month of free Gold (people actually do that btw)

Comment posted on 06/01/2011 at 16:06.
      • AJ
        Since: Oct 2008

I’ve got a UK, Japanese, HK, and multiple US accounts..
        Bah, but They come in handy when I play LBP with my little sisters who love to make their own costumes.

Comment posted on 06/01/2011 at 23:10.
  2. Aquastyle
    Since: Jul 2010

The real number is probably waaaay lower, I myself have 3-4 secondary accounts…just becayse I can, I swear, I haven’t exploited the Birthday “glitch” in GT5. ;)

Comment posted on 06/01/2011 at 06:55.
    • Dan Lee
      Common like the rest of us.
      Since: Jun 2010

Even so, it’s a far cry from the early days when bugger all people were online with the PS3 :o) The service has come on leaps and bounds.

Comment posted on 06/01/2011 at 07:28.
      • Aquastyle
        Since: Jul 2010

It certainly has, I’d imagine that it still has quite alot more active users than Xbox Live seeing as thats a payment service.

Oh, and becayse – because

Comment posted on 06/01/2011 at 07:39.
      • ARUMIR Sympozium

becayse

Comment posted on 06/01/2011 at 08:53.
      • ARUMIR Sympozium

What the? anyways

bycayse is okay in my opinion baha!

Comment posted on 06/01/2011 at 08:54.
    • jayjay119
      Since: Apr 2010

The real number has to be way lower I think, I know they may be factoring in PSP and online numbers here but I have a PS3 and a PSP and use the same account for both. There are only 40 (odd) million PS3s sold in the world, and not all of those will be connected to the net, I doubt the number of PSP and online subs can boost that number to 60 million in all honesty. I’d still imagine the actual number is highter than MS’s 30 million though.

Comment posted on 06/01/2011 at 09:08.
  3. Foxhound_Solid
    Is a smart cookie.

Pretty swish

Comment posted on 06/01/2011 at 07:48.
  4. Jim H [Teabags]

Though I only use 2 main PSN accounts, during my consoles lifespan, it has probably played host to around 15 or so of them.

Comment posted on 06/01/2011 at 08:27.
  5. nofi
    One for all.

Wonder if this counts all the ‘quick sign up’ accounts on test PS3s?

Comment posted on 06/01/2011 at 08:33.
  6. jayjay119
    Since: Apr 2010

That’a mighty fine number, and in my opinion a swift kick to MS’s family jewels considering that Live has been going a lot longer, and to give it its due, offers a much better service, although considering you have to pay for anything decent, it should do. Well done PSN, finally coming into your own at last.

Comment posted on 06/01/2011 at 09:05.
  7. Grey_Ghost13

Nice to see everyone here is taking the figures for both consoles with a pinch of salt!

Comment posted on 06/01/2011 at 09:22.
  8. Charmed_Fanatic

Even thought it includes some fakes, its still a big number!

Comment posted on 06/01/2011 at 11:29.
  9. cc_star
    Team TSA: Writer

I’m not sure what the number tells us

Most keen gamers have EU/US/JP accounts, in addition plenty of people have an alt account and then there are family members etc and accounts people set up to gameshare with friends, and that’s just PS3 nevermind the other PSN connected devices which are trickling on to the market

Telling us how many accounts there are without context is a completely pointless headline grabbing attempt

Comment posted on 06/01/2011 at 11:39.
    • djhsecondnature

It’s hardly pointless. I’d say we’re in the minority of people with multiple accounts and it’s still the number of accounts.

If there are 50 million Gmail accounts, it doesn’t matter that I am three of those, there is still 50 mil.

Comment posted on 06/01/2011 at 12:53.
      • cc_star
        Team TSA: Writer

It does matter when you’re trying to sell that figure as a user base to content holders showing you’re the best route to distribution, or merely to create headlines.

Comment posted on 06/01/2011 at 23:33.
  10. solidsteven
    Never heard of him.

I have two accounts as Sony does not allow you to change a subaccount to a master account. 60Million that is impressive. Maybe Sony could give us a free game to celebrate? :=)

Comment posted on 06/01/2011 at 12:44.
    • Aquastyle
      Since: Jul 2010

Wait a second…they already have! Buzz!

Comment posted on 06/01/2011 at 14:22.