Gamers Make Dangerous Motorists

More utter drivel from the UK press.

Today’s Metro reports that ‘Playing driving games on consoles makes people more dangerous in real life’, citing research carried out by Continental Tyres. Strangely, I can’t find any mention of this ‘news’ on the Metro web site or the Continental Tyres press site but it is in the print edition of Metro, page seven, top left corner.

According to Metro, ‘Fans of titles such as Gran Turismo and Grand Theft Auto are more likely to crash when they get behind the wheel. They also have a higher tendency to try risky overtaking moves, run red lights and suffer road rage.’

Oddly, Continental Tyres do not make any inference that playing Grand Theft Auto makes you want to beat prostitutes to death, surely if their research shows that driving in GTA influences you in real life then it is logical that every aspect of the game will determine how you behave?

“Gamers take more risks than non gamers, possibly due to the lack of real consequences in the game,” said Continental safety expert, Tim Bailey.

In other news, Continental Tyres seem to have forgotten the award picked up Chris Rado of WORLD Racing when his Scion tC was named Best Asian Import in the seventh annual Gran Turismo Awards ceremony. The Scion has Continental tyres, as proudly boasted by this press release.

Continental Tyres seem blissfully unaware that over half the UK population are regular gamers and that Grand Theft Auto IV is one of the best selling games of all time. So they, and/or Metro have just labeled an awful lot of their customers as bad drivers.

Source: Metro (Print Edition)

Read more:
  1. NotoriousGTT
    Since: Apr 2010

“So they, and/or Metro have just labelled an awful lot of their customers as bad drivers,”

And they would be absolutely correct

Comment posted on 31/01/2011 at 12:20.
    • shields_t
      Since: Oct 2008

I’ms ure a survey could be conducted to prove otherwise but I cannot see that there is likely to be a link between people playing driving games and driving like numpties, otherwise GT5 will have trumped Black Ops in sales because 95% of the people I see driving the M4 drive dangerously.

Comment posted on 31/01/2011 at 12:25.
      • Lordfloyd

oddly, I have never seen a game that involves lorries overtaking other lorries whenever they fancy, nor have I seen a game that forces you to drive in the middle lane of a motorway when the inside lane is completely empty…

Comment posted on 31/01/2011 at 15:37.
  2. Grey_Ghost13

What a complete waste of space the media is becomming. I wish they would try to back up these sensationalist headlines with some more proof! Come Continental give us this research in it’s entirety!

If true how can a non experienced driver compete in the GT championships in a nissan 350z with help from the GT Academy, due to his time spent on Gran Turismo???

sorry about the spelling mistakes, rage typing took over!!!!!

Comment posted on 31/01/2011 at 12:21.
  3. shields_t
    Since: Oct 2008

It was only this morning that I got a vertical takedown on the way into work.

Seriously, a real load of toss gets written in the Metro.

Comment posted on 31/01/2011 at 12:22.
  4. nofi
    One for all.

To be fair, I can see how this is true.

Comment posted on 31/01/2011 at 12:22.
    • bunimomike

I’m quietly concerned when, one day, we have dashboard mounted laser projectors beaming data onto the windscreen and our GPS linking us up with “races” on the likes of Google Maps. Imagine us driving around a chosen city with “Checkpoint reached” being flashed up on the windscreen and a timer being refreshed with added seconds. It could happen!

Comment posted on 31/01/2011 at 12:27.
      • iucidium
        Since: Jan 2011

Jesus, someone watched ‘Fast And Furious’ a little too much, this and weed and dubstep makes bad drivers.

Comment posted on 31/01/2011 at 12:34.
      • XisTG

Dub step never hurt no one.

Comment posted on 31/01/2011 at 18:41.
    • quinkill
      Since: Oct 2010

yeh, but for a majority or a tiny minority? I mean last week news in the US was reporting that the bomb attack in Moscows’ Airport was directly influenced by the ‘No Russian’ level from MW2. Now do you think the majority or a small minority of all those who played MW2 are plotting to take out a Russian airport.

Comment posted on 31/01/2011 at 12:27.
      • quinkill
        Since: Oct 2010

Sorry I get quite angry at articles like this. I can’t stand ‘Associated Newspapers’ and their Daily Mail coverage of games and gamers in past few years has been appalling. Why they treat games and gamers differently to any other piece of entertainment or consumer is beyond me.

Comment posted on 31/01/2011 at 12:38.
      • minerwilly

I thought that article was disgusting sensationalism and im surprised Eurogamer printed that article . Can you imagine how we would feel if journalists where writing that after something happened either in London or whichever capital city is yours .
        Just because it was Moscow and they used to be the big bad “enemy” it seems game to have a cruel jibe at their expense . I have no Russian heritage or whatever but that was bang out of line .

Comment posted on 31/01/2011 at 14:44.
    • tonycawley
      Pint! Pint!

Look at it logically. Which age group plays these games the most? 16-19 year olds. Which age group has the most driving accidents? 16-19 year olds. Definite and obvious correlation. However, as we all know, correlation does not prove causation. I don’t think this article explicit blames gaming for car accidents, it just highlights the correlation. Japan has a long life expectancy. Japan also has the highest rate of smoking ion the world. Therefore smoking makes you live a long time.

Comment posted on 31/01/2011 at 15:02.
    • The Guvnor

I can only agree with nofi. When i was deeply into GT5 I found myself driving a lot faster and really testing my car, I even slip streamed a few people!!
      Dont get me wrong, I’m not even an easily influenced person (usually) and have been gaming all my life. Im 26 and can easily see younger, more influential people doing the same as me.

Comment posted on 31/01/2011 at 18:27.
  5. bunimomike

Gaming has nothing to do with me driving dangerously. A mix of drink, drugs and trying to steer with my feet whilst I recline on the back seat and am simultaneously being fellated by a gender confused Filipino I feel is a far greater influence, but I’m no expert.

Comment posted on 31/01/2011 at 12:24.
    • toutski
      Legend
      Since: Oct 2008

Haha. Brilliant!

Comment posted on 31/01/2011 at 12:25.
    • Klart
      Since: Jun 2010

Pics or it didn’t happen.

Comment posted on 31/01/2011 at 12:33.
      • bunimomike

Like I could hold a camera steady!

Comment posted on 31/01/2011 at 12:48.
    • Kronik76

‘being fellated by a gender confused Filipino’

That’s just so wrong! Unless of course nobody saw it…

Comment posted on 31/01/2011 at 13:03.
  6. quinkill
    Since: Oct 2010

Sorry was that Metro or The Daily Mail? All those B.S. spewing rightwing “newspapers” all seem to blend into one…and the fact that they have no online material to back the article up on Metro website or Continental Tyres press site goes onto establish their reputations as the UKs leading source of fair, balanced and well researched JOURNALISM!

Comment posted on 31/01/2011 at 12:24.
    • BG123
      Banned
      Since: Apr 2010

This comment is hidden.

Comment posted on 31/01/2011 at 12:45.
      • quinkill
        Since: Oct 2010

Not like the UK media. When our papers are 90% rightwing you only get 10% leftwing BS. Where’s the balanced BS spewing?? I’m not trying to say leftwing doesn’t talk s**t too but the only places they can talk all this s**t is the BBC (and that’s rare), The Guardian and the Observer. That’s it!! Now list every other media outlet (except a few foreign news orgs like Al Jazeera etc) and 50% owned by Rupert-I need to control the whole world-Murdoch and the other 50% are trying to catch up with his insanity i.e. Associated Newspapers and News International.

Comment posted on 31/01/2011 at 12:55.
  7. ARUMIR Sympozium

Someone get Amy’s Piku Piku something hammer….

Comment posted on 31/01/2011 at 12:27.
  8. Peco
    Since: Oct 2010

“Gamers take more risks than non gamers, possibly due to the lack of real consequences…” – Are they trying to say I can’t just restart if I crash my car?

Comment posted on 31/01/2011 at 12:30.
    • Forrest_01

Reset to track/road = usually select. :)

Comment posted on 31/01/2011 at 12:45.
  9. simplebob
    Since: Mar 2009

Better switch your stereos off as well…http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1870853.stm
    Press pointing the finger again

Comment posted on 31/01/2011 at 12:34.
  10. TSBonyman

I was thinking this recently as i tried to hurl my car around a bend.. must.. slow .. down.. :S

Comment posted on 31/01/2011 at 12:37.
    • bunimomike

You’re not a real gamer! :-p

Real gamers drive whilst thinking “apex… off the throttle… gently… gently… power down… GO GO GO” then drive into KwitFit and shout obscenities until they’ve changed the tires.

Comment posted on 31/01/2011 at 12:49.
      • Grey_Ghost13

Or bang off the barriers round the fast corners, that always gets you where your going quicker!

Comment posted on 31/01/2011 at 15:15.
      • GTRsannin
        Since: Nov 2010

lol i haven’t had the need to drive like a maniac even though i’ve played GT and GTA games ever since the first ones came out

Comment posted on 31/01/2011 at 15:18.