Apple Sells 3 Million New iPads In Just Three Days

Bu-bu-but no buttons!

Apple has announced that it has sold three million New iPads in just three days.

“The new iPad is a blockbuster with three million sold – the strongest iPad launch yet,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. “Customers are loving the incredible new features of iPad, including the stunning Retina display, and we can’t wait to get it into the hands of even more customers around the world this Friday.”

The industry, like it or not, is changing, and mobile, tablet and browser gaming is proving to be the turning point.  These are figures that the likes of Sony and Nintendo dream about, and whilst (naturally) the iPad isn’t all about gaming, that’s three million more devices capable of playing games out there.

For a publisher or developer, it’s clear that it’s a market worth investigating.

Sure, the tablet gaming field is a little different, but the gap between the likes of PS Vita and the iPad is getting smaller constantly – both in terms of tech (there’s little difference now between the two) and in terms of the games on offer.  Will there ever be an Uncharted or WipEout on iPad?  No.  Will there be something similar?

Yes, and there already is.

It’s that price difference argument again, Gameloft’s Uncharted ‘tribute’ might be scale the same heights, figuratively, but it’s available for 69p.  And regardless of those that scream “no buttons!!!” – even though there’s a valid point there it’s clear there’s a market for games that just use the touch screen to try to emulate a console control method.

It might not be for you, but it’s definitely something that’s happening.  Those sales figures are insane, especially given that the New iPad isn’t that big a step up from an iPad 2 aside from the screen and the RAM – but it’s what people want and it looks like it’s what people have been waiting for.

Here’s hoping PS Suite has the desired effect for Vita.

1. Deathbrin

I can honestly say i want one. Not for gaming obviously, that’s just ridiculous.

Comment posted on 20/03/2012 at 15:35.
  2. skibadee
    Since: Oct 2009

there are really cheap android ones out at the moment that are better.

Comment posted on 20/03/2012 at 16:05.
    • nofi
      One for all.

really? go on…

Comment posted on 20/03/2012 at 17:03.
      • skibadee
        Since: Oct 2009

motorola xoom 32GB £270 Sony tablet £290

Comment posted on 24/03/2012 at 21:03.
  3. Foxhound_Solid
    Is a smart cookie.

Great achievement in three days. I want one!

Comment posted on 20/03/2012 at 17:48.
  4. JesseDeya
    Since: Jan 2010

Interestingly Vita has made me NOT want to rush out and get the new iPad.

I love my iPad 2, it’s sitting right here next to me and for a whole raft of (non-gaming) apps it’s brilliant. I just can’t get the gaming experience I want though, and if I was on the fence before Vita, I’m now truly in the ‘ipads make shitty games platform’ camp.

Buttons. There, I said it. Thumbsticks. There, I said that too. They make a difference, as does a form factor designed for prolonged gaming.

Two observations if I may, on things people seem to be missing:

1) Whilst iPad 2 –> iPad 3 might not seem a large jump, ipad 1 –> iPad 3 is massive. I’d wager a good chunk of that 3 million are people who were holding on to their iPad 1s all this time.

2) Whilst newer games and apps will still run on the iPad 1 (and 2), there is a marked slow down on when running the latest games on the oldest hardware. That won’t happen with Vita, and that’s a nice thing to know.

Anyway, I’ll probably cave and get a new iPad eventually (gifting my old one of GF or family) – but it won’t be for gaming.

Comment posted on 20/03/2012 at 19:43.
  5. An-dz
    Since: Oct 2010

I dont know how they keep doing this, it seems when they bring out a new device its probally best to wait a while and get the much improved version a few years later for about the same price as buying the original at the time would have been

Comment posted on 20/03/2012 at 20:38.