Vita Hardware Sales Tracking At Less Than A Third Of PSP's

Not great news in the UK.

According to Chart-Track data, the PS Vita – in the UK at least – is tracking at just under a third of what the PSP achieved after the first ten weeks.

Sony’s fancy new ‘console in your pocket’ system has moved just 100,000 units, although that’s not official, with Pocket Gamer citing a ‘well-placed industry source’.

Regardless, the official figures aren’t hard to approximate, with Chart-Track’s business group direction Dorian Bloch saying that the PSP had sold three and a half times as many as the Vita in the same launch period.

Despite a fantastic launch line-up, the Vita has always struggled a little, but high hardware costs and some silly game prices have put people off. Sony will be hoping that first party titles like Resistance and Gravity Rush bring some stimulus to sales.

The price of mobile gaming – regardless of the perception of console-esque titles – has changed considerably since the PSP first released, with most iPhone and iPad games releasing at around 10% the price of Vita titles.

We’d be tempted to think it’s third party games that are key – Activision’s Call of Duty should hopefully push some interest.

1. hiab-x

It all seems like a wasted opportunity to me. I surfed the hype wave with the original PSP, it was my Christmas ‘Must have’ 12 months later all the cool and interesting titles seemed to trail off and I was left with a sense of owning a pretty electronic brick. As a consequence of this, although the Vita initially looked impressive , the same enthusiasm I had for the PSP just wasn’t there, I haven’t wanted to be burnt twice. I suspect many potential customers have felt the same. Keeping up with game titles on sites such as TSA, it’s hard not to notice that there’s hardly much of a Vita buzz, there isn’t a console selling title like a must have Killzone portable game (I bought my PS3 because the Killzone 2 trailer just tipped me over the edge with excitement. Everything Vita just seems so muted. It’s disappointing, as it feels like the potential for a great handheld is there, the effort to push it and generate consumer buzz seems equal to Sony putting out a new Marmite coated waffle.

Comment posted on 15/05/2012 at 13:25.
    • skibadee
      Since: Oct 2009

never got a PSP but had to have a Vita glad I got one as well.

Comment posted on 15/05/2012 at 14:10.
  2. Kennykazey
    Since: Mar 2010

Sony needs to bring on solid bundles (they really need some good ones for Christmas), reduce RRP for games by a fiver (shops sell them for less than RRP anyway) and fit a 4GB or 8GB card in every Vita sold with no increase in price.

Then let games like Gravity Rush, Resistance, Little Big Planet, Call of Duty, Gran Turismo, Killzone and hopefully Monster Hunter, Final Fantasy and GTA do the rest.

I love my Vita and it gets lots of use, I feel like it’s reasonably priced, it’s just the damn memorycards that hold it back pricewise in my opinion.

Comment posted on 15/05/2012 at 14:05.
    • Pillsy
      Since: May 2012

I’d probably say the memory cards are a big problem, it’s a shame Sony couldn’t have used an already established format out there and that would have drove costs down but on the flip side I guess they want something of their own out there.

I also feel like they could have lined up the releases a little closer together as it seems like after the initial release there wasn’t many games to get excited about. This may just be me but I feel the lack of Vita games is keeping the price of the games currently out there higher than they could be.

Comment posted on 15/05/2012 at 18:26.
  3. element666
    Since: Mar 2012

I love my vita, i play it loads.
    Still can’t wait for the big games to appear. Resistance etc

Comment posted on 15/05/2012 at 15:09.
  4. Omac_brother
    Since: Nov 2011

Since I bought my Vita, apart from a few hours on Skyrim, I have hjardly touched my PS3. The games have been fantasticly addictive and have kept me entertained. I think the lack of sales doesnt have much of a reflection on the quality of the Vita. I just think that the global economy is like it is and people just dont have the disposable income to spend on a Vita, which is pricey.

Comment posted on 15/05/2012 at 15:13.
  5. DixNeuf
    Since: Apr 2010

I think Sony have made an effort by reducing a ton of PSP games to nice low prices (there’s loads of great stuff for around£8 now), but they forgot one small point – when you spend £200 quid on a console, you want some shiny new stuff to play on it, not the classics of yesteryear.

Comment posted on 15/05/2012 at 15:43.
  6. davidtcawley
    Since: May 2012

My first post!!

Personally I do like my shiny new Vita but reckon there’s loads could be done to improve it:

Cheap impulse buy games- I have bought Motorstorm RC and Plants vs Zombies on impulse. At less than a tenner I don’t mind losing if it’s a bit crap (which motorstorm is IMO). Loads more download games at <£10 would be great for me, even if they are PSN ports – pixeljunk etc.

"Apps" like Lovefilm, iPlayer etc.

Remote Play sorted. Can't do much off it at the mo. Would be great if could play any game.

Hopefully these things will happen over time…..

Comment posted on 15/05/2012 at 19:26.
    • tonycawley
      Pint! Pint!

céad mile fáilte

Comment posted on 15/05/2012 at 20:33.
      • TSBonyman

Maith an fear tony!

Comment posted on 15/05/2012 at 21:07.
    • TSBonyman

As tony said, a hundred thousand welcomes!

Comment posted on 15/05/2012 at 21:03.
  7. Cadabena

I think the reason is that 10 weeks after the PSP was launched in the UK, it had been out around a year in Japan and nearly at least 7 months in the US. That, and GTA LCS had already hit. If the Vita had a GTA by now, I imagine sales would be a lot lot more.

Comment posted on 15/05/2012 at 22:23.