iOS 6 Announcement Due - 1st Generation iPad Left Out?

Does Apple's release cycle fit with gaming?

Apple’s WWDC kicks off at 6PM UK time this evening. We know that iOS 6 is going to be a large topic of discussion, banners were snapped during the stage set-up yesterday. What we don’t know for sure is what might be included in the new operating system.

There are the usual glut of rumours, this time based around updated maps applications, Siri’s iPad arrival and system-level facebook integration. What might be most interesting to us from a gaming perspective though, are the hints that iOS 6 might skip the first generation iPad. Just this morning, a Chinese website, weiPhone.com published links to Apple’s iOS 6 resources for developers.

The links don’t work yet – not until Apple makes those locations live – but the same site has been accurate in the past with similar early-linking. But there is no development kit listed for the original iPad. Strange, considering that the iPhone 3GS, an older device with a slower processor, is accounted for.

The mobile sector, and iOS in particular, is responsible for the most growth in today’s gaming market but traditional gamers have often struggled to embrace it.

The iPad offers genuine potential to act as a way for console gamers to ease themselves into touchscreen gaming and the gaming (and entertainment streaming) potential of iPad, Airplay and Apple TV has led many to chase a similar set up with second screens emerging as the big buzz from this year’s E3.

Source: MacRumors

1. bmg_123
    Since: Feb 2012

Well, if I have to pay at least £400 a year to get the latest games without performance issues, then yes, iPad gaming is unattractive to me, especially when a £300 investment in my PS3 has given me far more joy than my already dying £500 iPhone 4…

Comment posted on 11/06/2012 at 13:06.
  2. Alex C
    One for all.

“But if the iPad is only going to have a generational lifespan of around two and a half years, won’t that be enough to discourage most of us from making that first, expensive foray into Apple’s potential gaming solution?”

A new iOS dropping older hardware isn’t new – the iPhone suffered a similar fate. Mobile tech moves much quicker than console tech, so two and a bit years is about right IMO.

Comment posted on 11/06/2012 at 13:08.
    • damoxuk
      Since: May 2011

Well my ipad 1st gen is already sluggish in some regards. So an update with even more intensive features would crush it.

I don’t like the fact ofc but then I rarely play games on my ipad – it’s more a glorified trophy/walktrhough guide machine now :)

Comment posted on 11/06/2012 at 13:23.
      • stueeeee

Well I’m surprised if the 3GS is updated with ios6 as mine is noticeably sluggish since 5.1. I’m guessing it’s the new features making it overload.

Comment posted on 11/06/2012 at 15:46.
    • Peter Chapman
      Team TSA: Editor

I know, I was just pointing out the implications for the system’s (iPad, Airplay, Apple TV) appeal to traditional gamers who are used to buying a new console every 6 years or so.

Comment posted on 11/06/2012 at 13:34.
      • Alex C
        One for all.

Do you think that’s a legitimate comparison though? Not having a go, just genuinely curious as to whether people see iPads as more of a mobile thing or a console thing?

Android phones, in particular, seem to update their hardware every 2 weeks.

Comment posted on 11/06/2012 at 13:39.
      • Peter Chapman
        Team TSA: Editor

Currently, iPad gaming is very much a mobile thing but there are loads of rumours – which may or may not bear fruit, of course – that the Apple TV link will evolve into a living-room gaming experience, so I thought it worth asking the question, at least.

I think it’s a legitimate comparison given the overtures Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony are making to try to combat it. Whether it currently competes in that area is irrelevant if the assumption that it does is driving so much existing development from the companies that do hold that area, isn’t it?

Comment posted on 11/06/2012 at 14:07.
  3. Workshed
    Since: Jan 2010

“Strange, considering that the iPhone 3GS, an older device with a slower processor, is accounted for.”

It’s really not strange, the original iPad has the least memory for the screen size and that’s the problem. It likely just doesn’t have enough memory to cope with iOS6.

Comment posted on 11/06/2012 at 13:24.
    • anyjungleinguy
      Since: Nov 2008

This. The 3GS doesn’t have to cope with a retina display either. It could be posible for some features to be cut from the 3GS version though, like they did…that other time…with the 3G? I think?

Anyway, 3GS is still sold be Apple and I bet it still plays a part in emerging markets

Comment posted on 11/06/2012 at 16:26.
  4. Spence1115

Dropping the iPad 1, expected, as they seem to stick with only the current device and the previous device supported for updates, with iOS 5 being an exception by supporting iPhone 3GS as well, since the 4 was the previous device when it actually came out. Far more surprising that it’s still being supported with iOS 6, considering people complain enough about the 3GS running slow on iOS 5 as it is.

Comment posted on 11/06/2012 at 13:59.
    • Sympozium

Surprisingly its also slow on a 4th gen iPod Touch, (which I believe is the latest?) its mainly Memory issues it seems. I’m dreading iOS 6 hopefully it doesn’t get worst.

Comment posted on 11/06/2012 at 14:23.
  5. TSBonyman

The last few updates haven’t been kind to my 1st gen iPad but i mainly use it for email/web searches/tv guide/making notes etc and as long as it continues to serve those functions i don’t mind missing out on iOs6.

Comment posted on 11/06/2012 at 14:28.
  6. XisTG

Thank god for that, my 1st generation iPad get’s slower everytime a new update comes so I’ll count this as a blessing.
    The iPad is a great gadget, but this was the first and last one I’ll buy; as soon as the iPad2 came up every single app started to get more and more sluggish to the point my wife (who used to love that thing) prefers to use her phone/laptop over the iPad. But hey, it’s still a nice tablet to enjoy some youtube videos, read mail and read some news on TSA.
    As far as gaming, I did try to give it a shot a couple of times but it never really connected. We both had lots of fun with PvsZ back when it was released (and the on the PS3, and then on the Vita), and I spent maybe an hour or so landing planes and conducting trains with a finger, but that’s really it. Anything more complex than that turned out to be an unpleasant experience for me. Have you ever tried a driving game on the iPad? Don’t.

Comment posted on 11/06/2012 at 14:33.
    • damoxuk
      Since: May 2011

You know Apple may deliberately make there updates so that older devices run slower so people will want to update :)

Comment posted on 11/06/2012 at 17:09.
      • XisTG

They might. Doesn’t work on me though :)

Comment posted on 11/06/2012 at 17:12.
  7. mrfodder

I got an android tablet last summer and with my PSP ageing terribly at that stage I tried touchscreen gaming. The only 2 games that held my attention were Where’s My Water and Zenonia. And even with Zenonia I eventually got fed up with the horrible controls. Once I got my Vita all tablet gaming has come to a grinding halt.

Comment posted on 11/06/2012 at 15:08.
  8. parryman
    Since: Apr 2012

I keep threatening to buy the wife an iPad, worrying if they are going to withdraw support after a couple of years.

Comment posted on 11/06/2012 at 15:21.
    • XisTG

Me and the wife bought the first one. Had it been now and I would have gone towards a cheaper tablet.

Comment posted on 11/06/2012 at 17:14.
  9. job
    Since: Jun 2010

my vita killed my ipad enthusiasm the first day i got it. my grandson now plays with my ipad once a week and he loves it, so its getting some use but it will never take back its place of number one gadget from my vita especially now youtube app is nearly here for vita, with facebook, skype, fits in my pocket and proper controls/buttons it never leaves my side now.

Comment posted on 11/06/2012 at 16:23.