Bizarre Were Working On "Blur 2" - Look

Footage emerges from cancelled project.

Back in 2010, Bizarre were working on a follow up to Blur, using assets and tech from the original game to show off what the studio were testing in terms of new visual effects.

Tragically, the studio was closed down, but today two videos have emerged that show off just what the guys were up to.

“This is part of a prototype from 2010 of an unannounced, unfinished project we were working on at Bizarre Creations when the company was shut down,” said Chris Davie, art director. “This video shows us trying out some new visual effects, partly just because we thought it would be cool, and partly to see how more intense effects would effect the player’s experience.”

blur 2

The videos are embedded into Tumblr sadly, but they’re here: one, two.

We have to say, it looks insanely good, even for an early tech demo.

“We were using a whole new engine at this point that had been developed internally, it was really nice tech that we sadly never got to ship a game with,” says Davie of the second video, which is much more impressive.

“When we were told the project was being canned and that the studio was facing closer, I bloody mindedly decided to keep working on the art on this track, so much work had gone into the game already, it seemed a shame that nobody would get to play a finished track, even the dev team, so my goal was to get this Dubai track as close to final as I could before the lights went out for good.”

Bizarre were highly talented, such a shame they were closed.

Read more:
  1. parryman
    Since: Apr 2012

I really enjoyed Blur, a sort of Burnout meets MarioKart mashup.
    Shame, this could’ve been awesome.

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 10:09.
    • BrendanCalls
      Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc - YOHIMBÉ!!!

I really enjoyed Blur as well, was just good fun all the way through.
      The online was brilliant

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 10:26.
    • damoxuk
      Since: May 2011

Indeed I rarely play online but Blur well was BRILLIANT online with 20 racers going at it. So much fun. Real shame Blur 2 won’t see light of day.

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 10:41.
    • 3shirts

Same here. The single player was great, local multiplayer was mario-kart esque fun and online had a great and very rare mature community that made for some good racing and great laughs.
      A very underrated game which suffered from launching at a time busy with bigger names, especially Split Second which I think was a lot less fun than this.
      I would loved to have seen a sequel

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 10:54.
      • BrendanCalls
        Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc - YOHIMBÉ!!!

I’m with you there, I much preferred Blur to Split/Second.

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 12:13.
  2. Tarak Ford
    Since: Aug 2012

I was gutted when Bizzare shutdown, and this makes me even more upset that such a great studio had to close its doors.

Chris is now apart of Lucid Games, a new studio formed by some of the Bizz staff a few years back.

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 10:20.
  3. teflon
    Community Team

Lovely looking engine. Really nice stuff in there.

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 11:42.
    • wonkey-willy
      Since: Jan 2010

how did you see the engine the cars had bonnets on??

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 13:43.
      • wonkey-willy
        Since: Jan 2010

or for any Americans “hood tops”

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 13:44.
      • blast71
        Since: May 2012

Think he means game engine

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 16:37.
  4. OnlineAssassin77
    Since: Jun 2012

Recently re-bought an started playing BLUR again one of my favourite racers ever many a good hour played with mates on my old account still as great as ever and still quite lively online for an old game around 200 people at a time racing and easy to get a race shame about BIZARRE would have loved a BLUR2.

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 11:58.
    • 3shirts

I’m surprised to hear the online is still lively. I might pick up another copy then.

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 13:15.
      • OnlineAssassin77
        Since: Jun 2012

Well after asking Forrest01 if there where still people playing BLUR online he loaded it up and checked and indeed there was me and R1MJAW repurchased it just before christmas as i say you can easily get a race theres always people on it depends on time of day how many but ive just loaded it up and there are 298 (most ive seen so far) people having a blast on blur ;)

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 21:47.
  5. avengerrr
    Since: Oct 2012

Blur was extreme fun Single o multi-player. Such a shame the devs got shut down – down to crappy activision I would have really loved a second game especially with that kind of tech.

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 13:24.
  6. The Von Braun
    Since: Oct 2012

Stories like this make me want to grow a greatly manly beard and openly cry into it, banging my fist on the table in rage.

Blur was bloody amazing online, just utter carnage and just THE most fun i’ve had gaming this generation.It’s a once in a blue moon thing i game online over the SP campain, but here..just wonderous.

What the blue blazes is wrong with this industry when talent like Bizzare, Psygnosis, Ensemble etc are closed, surely someone with deep pockets like MS would want to step in, get them cracking on exclusives for current and future platforms?.

Only ever tried demo’s of Split Second on PS3+360 (there was also a PSP version?), but from what i’ve played, game feels too scripted, and cars handle like a sack of muddy spuds!.

Comment posted on 07/01/2013 at 14:22.
  7. Sympozium

I didn’t get to play Blur online, but sp wasn’t exciting at all. Shame about Bizzares’s demise. Sadness.

Comment posted on 08/01/2013 at 00:48.
  8. Tuffcub
    On the naughty step.

Liked Blur, paper thin but great for half an hour now and then

Comment posted on 08/01/2013 at 12:21.
    • daddy dre day
      Since: Dec 2013

let me tell u one thing blur is a classic racing game nothn compares 20 people fightn too the finish awesome wish there were updates mapacks back than for cars my only gripe i have 225 ps3 games n blur still n top 10 online games after 3-4 years bizzare/activision made a great game it came at a bad time people didnt know what blur racing was or what it was about racing games today are repetitive n borong blur was mario kart unleashed with real cars n racing with powerup n mods full of excitement i have 1 real thing too say whoever makes blur 2 n keeps it the same with new graphics cars mods n powerups n tracks well double there profit today garanteed the 20 man race for me online was what made blur so special please let bizzare creations work on this or at least guys who wont ruin this game in improve on it this is most underrated game ever i cant believe they aint allowing them too build off it such a waiste of time n talent n the fans know how unique it was i could rave about this game all day i find myself still pulln out from time too time wishn there was a second make of the game i garantee double profits if they dont mess it up 1 of a kind someone jump on this n make some money bizzare creations would be the best too make 2 like the NFL N SPORTSCENTER put it why has this been canceled C’MON MAN!

Comment posted on 21/12/2013 at 01:53.