Deep Silver Apologise Over "Zombie Torso"

We're sorry that everyone knows our game is coming soon. And - oh yeah - that zombie torso bust thing. Sorry about that too.

It’s easy to be cynical, but that zombie torso thing from today has, if nothing else, let gamers know that there’s a game coming out soon involving zombies. However, many saw the trinket as being in rather bad taste, if not sexist and exploitational.

TheSixthAxis described the collector’s edition ‘bonus’ as “gross” and went to considerable lengths to mask the game in question, but plenty of other sites lapped up the press release and this afternoon it was one of the most talked about items in the industry.

Deep Silver’s PR company has, either way, apologised.

“We deeply apologize for any offense caused,” it said on Twitter. “Like many gaming companies, Deep Silver has many offices in different countries, which is why sometimes different versions of Collector’s Editions come into being for North America, Europe, Australia, and Asia.”

“For the limited run of the Zombie Bait Edition for Europe and Australia, a decision was made to include a gruesome statue of a zombie torso, which was cut up like many of our fans had done to the undead enemies in the original [game]. We sincerely regret this choice.”

One could speculate that the torso never actually existed, and all this was a carefully structured PR campaign to gain column inches – which worked. After all, it seemed to have more of an effect than this from the end of last year.

1. Carl
    Since: Jan 2009

Nothing to apologise for. Boobs exist.

Comment posted on 15/01/2013 at 22:16.
    • Paranoimia

Yeah, but zombies don’t, I think that’s what people were complaining about. ;-p

Comment posted on 15/01/2013 at 22:31.
  2. Death_In_Flamez
    Since: Feb 2011

Precisely. Nothing to apologise for in my books. People take stuff way too seriously.

Comment posted on 15/01/2013 at 22:35.
  3. SH Number 7/Mini-Lipscombe
    Since: May 2011

Am I a bad person to have thought this wasn’t that bad, I assume the boobs were showing? I wouldn’t want a statue like that my but I wouldn’t of minded it myself if it was covered up.

Comment posted on 15/01/2013 at 22:42.
    • Starman
      Since: Jul 2011

It was covered up, wearing a bikini top. The hacked off arms & head were the disturbing and distasteful aspect.

Comment posted on 15/01/2013 at 22:49.
      • SH Number 7/Mini-Lipscombe
        Since: May 2011

@Starman Thanks, but yeah I looked it up myself now to show my girlfriend, I don’t see how it was disrespectful or distasteful, the legs weren’t chopped off, it was a bust not a full scale statue, also the arms aren’t usually on a bust either so they just “zombied” that up, so there for the only thing was that the head was missing, and in which case it’s a bust about a zombie game, is it disrespectful and distasteful that we kill female zombies by chopping their heads off?

Comment posted on 15/01/2013 at 22:56.
    • SH Number 7/Mini-Lipscombe
      Since: May 2011

Just spoke to my girlfriend about it and she doesn’t see it as sexist, she thinks it’s stupid and that Dead Island was a franchise that was above that (what with the artsy original video).

Comment posted on 15/01/2013 at 22:49.
      • KeRaSh

These days it’s the guys that freak out about stuff like this, while girls just shrug it off.
        To me this statue looks more like a display for boob jobs that went horribly wrong.

Comment posted on 16/01/2013 at 07:38.
      • 3shirts

My objection to it, as I said on that article, is precisely this. I’m not offended by it, I am just annoyed that developers keep undermining gaming like this for cheap publicity. It means that people who don’t play games see this in the mainstream media and it continues their view that gaming is for sexually repressed violence loving social pariahs.
        Genuinely great games that don’t do this rarely enter the mainstream media so us gamers are constantly having to defend our hobby

Comment posted on 16/01/2013 at 12:15.
  4. Starman
    Since: Jul 2011

Its definitely a rare collectors edition now.

Comment posted on 15/01/2013 at 22:47.
  5. bmg_123
    Since: Feb 2012

Did we all fall for their trickery? Should we have even reacted? Perhaps instead left this subjectively ‘tacky’ bust to those who thought it to be harmless, and kept our opinion to ourselves? Did we as a community blow this mole hill into a mountain? I’m not sure what my point is here…

Comment posted on 15/01/2013 at 22:48.
  6. xdarkmagician

I couldn’t care less, or more about the statue, but if you’re going to have the balls to put it out there at least have the balls to see it through
    Secondly, I got the impression that the author masked the identity as a joke or humor, but if TSA “went to considerable lengths to mask the game in question” that’s not right. if you intentionally censored the games name because you didn’t wanted to advertise the game you should have never of ran the story in the first place.

Comment posted on 15/01/2013 at 23:29.
    • KeRaSh

Yeah, it’s a half assed way to show protest while still baiting clicks.

Comment posted on 16/01/2013 at 07:39.
  7. bunimomike

Worst sex doll ever!

Comment posted on 15/01/2013 at 23:33.
  8. gazzagb
    Master of speling mitakse

I just think people need to lighten up about it. It wasn’t offensive in any way (since when were boobs offensive) and it’s at 18+ game, so does it matter that it’s gory?

Comment posted on 15/01/2013 at 23:36.
  9. LethalX08
    Since: Nov 2011

Really starting to F’ing detest people in general. This is on the same level as FHM/Nuts, they aren’t a problem, neither is this.

If this is still the CE of EU i may buy it & play the LOZ chest music while raising it above my head in my local Game :).

Comment posted on 16/01/2013 at 01:41.
  10. DirtyHabit

Storm in a tea cup TBH. Don’t really know why people got so het up about it.

What is interesting is that this will be forgotten about by this time next week, but everyone is aware of the game now. Sex sells, like it or not its a fact of life.

Just on here yesterday, the Metal Gear, (one of the biggest franchises in gaming) article got 2 comments, Yet this got 61, Some were negative, some positive, most took it for what it was. Regardless of whether we like or agree with it we are all now fully aware of this game. Job done, the PR department will be getting a pat on the back this morning.

Comment posted on 16/01/2013 at 08:13.