Rumour: New Xbox Delayed Into 2014 Due To 10 Year Sony Exclusive On Blu-ray Playback

Does Sony have the exclusive rights to console-based Blu-ray functionality, preventing Microsoft from releasing this year?

Whilst most expect (or hope) the PlayStation 4 to land (somewhere) this year, a new rumour surfacing this morning suggests that the new Xbox, due to revealed soon, might not be so lucky.

The rumour claims that there’s a ten year exclusivity window on console-based Blu-ray movie playback, and Sony have that exclusivity. It’ll expire in 2014, so if this is true, and Microsoft want the new Xbox to play Blu-ray movies, they’ll have to wait.

It’s not clear whether this only applies to Italy (where the rumour stems from) or wider Europe (or wider still) but it’s an interesting one.

The rumour (translated here) comes via high level staff at an Italian entertainment distributor, who is apparently saying the company is only counting on one console launching this year – the PS4. Whether or not Microsoft would delay the console launch because of this is anyone’s guess.

1. Joshua Hood
    Small briefcase w*nker

How could this be a ‘delay’? Surely MS would’ve known about this from day one?

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 08:51.
  2. Nismo400R84
    Since: Aug 2012

Wouldn’t MS take this into account and just use HDDVD format .

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 08:57.
    • Joshua Hood
      Small briefcase w*nker

HD-DVD doesn’t exist any more :)

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 09:03.
    • The Avenger
      Since: Oct 2012

HD DVD tech is gone after the little tiff to win out over blu-ray. Blu-Ray won and it was probably for the best. Who wants two different formats (of equal quality) to choose from when buying a film; a bit awkward.

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 09:05.
      • monkeyspoon

HD DVD and blu ray were not equal. Hddvd had major storage issues. Films like transformers couldn’t even fit HD audio. I dread to think how bad 3d would be on Hddvd. At the end of the day the best format won.

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 09:20.
      • The Avenger
        Since: Oct 2012

I did say equal quality: HD in other words.

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 09:56.
  3. leeroye
    Since: May 2012

If this is true then its a very clever move by Sony. Better to get exclusive rights to something like this than timed exclusivity on DLC and games.

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 08:57.
  4. Taylor Made
    Since: Oct 2011

Doesn’t timed exclusive suck lol

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 08:58.
    • matthangzhou
      Since: Sep 2010

Haha. For once the other way round!

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 15:42.
  5. Amphlett

Sorry, you’ll have to excuse me for 5 minutes, I’ve just pissed myself laughing.

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 09:05.
    • Kevatron400
      Drake, baby.

You should probably see a doctor. There are things they can do about that sort of thing these days.

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 09:17.
      • Amphlett

I was wearing a Ten Men but I laughed so hard the thing leaked.

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 09:48.
      • Nate
        Since: Apr 2010

As a doctor, I can recommend a series of invasive and painful tests.

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 13:33.
  6. three_leg_jake
    Since: Aug 2011

If that is true, Microsoft will disable movie playing in firmware (probably in an easily hackable way ;-) ) and then enable it via update when the exclusivity expires.

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 09:17.
    • KeRaSh

That’s what I thought. Why delay the console for one single feature that can be enabled by a firmware update later.
      If it comes out in 2014 it will not be because of this. They’d rather have you pay for Netflix access through their Xbox Live membership anyways.

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 10:05.
      • ron_mcphatty
        Since: Sep 2008

Yeah, plus if it is true and everyone knows about it then there’s no reason to be ashamed about it. Just plug it as a big thing when it’s finally enabled. It’s not as if Xbox owners aren’t used to Blu ray playback on their consoles, nowts been taken away.

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 10:34.
  7. quinkill
    Since: Oct 2010

HaHa! Brilliant!

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 09:27.
  8. cc_star
    Team TSA: Writer

Can’t see it at all.

Microsoft won’t have Blu-ray playback, they make too much from Xbox movies & other services, of which they’re going to be adding at an ever faster pace.

They’ll just use Blu-ray tech to benefit from the capacity, but make it incompatible so they don’t need to license

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 09:27.
    • Boiler
      Since: Mar 2010

I can see it.
      Microsoft is a business they aren’t going to be petty about blocking blu ray playback.
      A lot of people have blu ray movie collections. When it comes time to make your next gen console purchase are you going to buy the console that allows downloads, streaming and blu ray playback? Or the console that makes your blu ray collection obsolete and enforces its own download format?
      Look at the backlash Microsoft are getting just for the “always on” debacle.
      Microsoft will want to win over Sony customers. They aren’t going to encourage blu ray as a format, but they aren’t going to block it … unless they have to initially before the copyright expires. They’d be silly to.
      Imagine if the PS3 had only allowed blu ray and blocked DVD playback. It would’ve tanked.

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 09:57.
      • cc_star
        Team TSA: Writer

PS3 would have yes, the launch period was a shambles & a Blu-ray player ‘included’ in every console helped them through difficult times.

But Microsoft have an extremely popular store, whose importance will be eroded if Blu-ray playback was a feature of the next console.

Why do you think Apple for so long dragged their heels on proper Blu-ray support… It’s because iTunes movie & TV. services their needs better. That’s the same with Xbox, where Xbox Movies & other streaming services that require a Live sub is Microsoft’s only focus, addition of Blu-ray playback will risk their existing earnings and they have nothing financially to gain.

Blu-ray players have never been cheaper, so it won’t be a hurdle to many people’s adoption of the next Xbox & many, many people bypassed Blu-ray altogether going straight for digital (which was Microsoft’s policy with HD-DVD, to add confusion to the marketplace until digital took off).

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 10:41.
      • Boiler
        Since: Mar 2010

Fair points. It all comes down to a range of factors that are hard to judge.
        How many people have the bandwidth to download/stream 1080p / 4K movies?
        Or even have the internet infrastructure for it?
        Do they want to discourage the “Sony Massive” from shifting console by blocking all their movies?
        I think everyone knows that the PS4 won’t be backwards compatible for games, but people want to continue to watch their movie collections.
        I personally prefer my movies in blu ray format. Currently still the top quality format (although Apple downloads are close)
        I’m going to be replacing my PS3 downstairs with a next gen console/ media centre and I’ll be putting the PS3 in one my top bedrooms.
        I already have a sky box, a surround sound amp, I don’t really want to have an XBox 8 AND a separate blu ray player in the main room. Too cluttered and why buy both?
        I can’t speak for any other PS3 owners and I can claim to know anything about other people’s cash flow and financial circumstances, but I’m not planning on buying several consoles, blu ray players to meet my needs. So if the new XBox blocks blu ray playback that could be a deal breaker for me.
        The only thing that could win it back is if the new XBox comes with a new innovative game experience. Maybe something like illumiroom. As specs wise it looks like PS4 is going to be the strongest (I’m basing that on a chat I’ve had with a Game Director buddy I know that has both the PS4 and Durango dev kits)

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 11:00.
      • Boiler
        Since: Mar 2010

Although if the XBox 8 had enough TV channels to successfully replace Sky (Cartoon Network, Disney etc for the kids) then I could see myself swapping a sky subscription for a Microsoft subscription.

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 11:18.
  9. Spence1115

Wii U uses bluray tech for its drives but can’t play the movies, Microsoft would just do that. Then maybe patch it in later. Either way, I call bullshit.

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 09:38.
  10. Bilbo_bobbins

They will just pay for the privilege, therefore a bit of money going Sonys way for a change. This will not stop the console coming out this year.

Comment posted on 03/05/2013 at 10:00.
2 hours ago