Ellen Page Isn't Happy With The Last of Us' Ellie

"I guess I should be flattered that they ripped off my likeness."

The fictional fourteen year old, Ellie, from Naughty Dog’s latest game The Last of Us looks a little bit like Ellen Page, since she’s a brown-haired teenage girl. She used to look even more like Page when The Last of Us was initially announced but the developers did the best they could to change her appearance after Beyond: Two Souls – starring Page – was announced.

And right now, Page is doing an Ask Me Anything over on Reddit, with one of the questions making her aware of the similarities between Ashley Johnson’s brilliantly acted Ellie and Page’s own face.

I guess I should be flattered that they ripped off my likeness, but I am actually acting in a video game called Beyond Two Souls, so it was not appreciated.

Seeming quite oblivious that they’re both Sony published games and quite arrogant in thinking Ellie was actually based on her, while simultaneously ignoring the actual questions about whether she enjoyed filming Beyond and if she would have taken the role of Ellie if offered, Page delivered the above misguided, misjudged and altogether confused response.

What do you think? Does she have any right to be annoyed, or should she just accept that maybe, just maybe, the 14 year old girl archetype looks a bit like her anyway?

1. teflon
    Community Team

I don’t think it’s a big deal. I’m more surprised that so many people think it’s actually her, though I can certainly see some of the similarities.

Comment posted on 24/06/2013 at 00:20.
    • samiro05

I asked if it was Ellen Page on day 1. Then even when Beyond broke, I still thought it was her. I don’t think so now I have played the game.

Comment posted on 24/06/2013 at 03:52.
      • pdannysan13
        Since: Mar 2013

They did copy her face sort of. I thought that Ellie and the girl from Beyond Two Souls were the same person. Only when I started reading the news more thoroughly did I notice the difference.
        At a glance, yes, they are the same. Sony should have done something.

Comment posted on 24/06/2013 at 10:46.
    • Fartinabag
      Since: Feb 2013

Jumped up Prima donna.

There are several billion people on this planet, what makes her assume they copied HER…

It’s a cheap publicity stunt for her “career” that seems to have fallen on a quiet spell looking at IMDB. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0680983/

Comment posted on 29/06/2013 at 16:05.
  2. bunimomike

Likeness? That’s stretching it a bit! Wow. After playing through the entire game, Ellie’s mannerisms, personality and likeness are nothing like Ellen Page. Her voice actor did a cracking job too.

Comment posted on 24/06/2013 at 00:25.
    • NazzyQ
      Since: Nov 2011

Agreed. Ashley Johnson gave a phenomenal performance as Ellie, so Page’s dismissive comments about the game and the character of Ellie are rather ignorant. It makes me angry to be honest.

Comment posted on 24/06/2013 at 00:58.
      • bunimomike

Same here, fella. It feels like a “I’m sorry but how important do you think you are?” sort of comment. For anyone who’s finished the game (this shot is taken from the latter part of the campaign), how does this girl look like Ellen Page? She has dark hair but the eyes are so very different.

Weird but there we go.

Comment posted on 24/06/2013 at 02:09.
    • Foxhound_Solid
      Is a smart cookie.

You hit the nail on the head.

Comment posted on 24/06/2013 at 08:01.
  3. Crazy_Del

I immediately see Ellie as Page just like that. B_Cambo and I were discussing about that today and I just found out about Ashley Johnson had a very small part in Avengers Assemble. I just couldn’t believe it xD

Comment posted on 24/06/2013 at 00:31.
  4. Jakster123x
    Since: Aug 2011

I dunno, it irritates me a little that she seems to react to that question with a little arrogance but i’m not entirely sure how the question was phrased and Ellen Page doesn’t seem like the arrogant type to me.

Mainly, I also think this overshadows Ashley Johnson’s amazing performance in the game, and that’s the main problem, and the reason that ND changed Ellie’s face in the first place.

Comment posted on 24/06/2013 at 00:42.
  5. The Von Braun
    Since: Oct 2012

Well, as a balding Male, i’ve bloody reet p*ssed off that Evil types in video games are usually always bald, but does Ellen care? no…it’s all me me ME with her.

:-)

Basically Ellen, deal with it love-Someone throw her a chocolate bar or something, pronto.

Comment posted on 24/06/2013 at 01:09.
    • blast71
      Since: May 2012

Do what I do – say “I’m not bald, I’m shaved” ;)

Comment posted on 24/06/2013 at 19:04.
  6. tonycawley
    Pint! Pint!

I know the name but didn’t know who she was or what she looked like. I just did a Google image search and there is a striking resemblance beyond just being a young brunette girl. I really don’t see any reason to be annoyed by it though.

Comment posted on 24/06/2013 at 01:42.
    • theberzerka

I’d see it as a compliment.

Comment posted on 24/06/2013 at 07:37.
      • 3shirts

Exactly. Ellie is a strong, smart and caring character. Even if it was based exactly on her, it’s hardly insulting.

Comment posted on 24/06/2013 at 10:25.
    • double-o-dave
      Since: Nov 2008

Same here. Although in the pic Bunimo pointed out she looks nothing like her. Who knows? It’s probably coincidence, don’t they design the characters from the concept art?

Comment posted on 24/06/2013 at 10:10.
      • Origami Killer

After taking a look in the art book I have it seems like a coincidence. There’s a few other concepts of Ellie which are completely different to the one used.

Comment posted on 24/06/2013 at 15:46.
  7. TSBonyman

All i can say is that i haven’t once thought about Beyond : Two Souls whilst playing TLoU – but i’m still looking forward to B:TS :)

Comment posted on 24/06/2013 at 01:47.
  8. colmshan1990
    Since: Apr 2009

At first it seems an overreaction, but it’s not like she’s suing Naughty Dog. And to be fair, she has a point.

Go back to the original reveal trailers…

It’s definitely Ellen Page’s likeness. Which, to be fair, is quite a big deal to most celebrities. Especially those who rely on being recognised when acting. And they don’t tend to enjoy being mistaken and mixed up with someone else either.

Pretty sure many of us DID think it could be Ellen Page herself voicing Ellie back then too. I know I did.

Naughty Dog changed Ellie’s appearance a little after Beyond was revealed, I don’t think that’s a coincidence. They couldn’t change her appearance too much though- by that point, quite a lot of work had gone in to making Ellie look like Ellie.

Comment posted on 24/06/2013 at 02:48.
    • colmshan1990
      Since: Apr 2009

If you read the comments after we saw the reveal trailer, you can count five people mentioning Ellen Page.

She stated in the AMA that’s she not much of a gamer lately- she beat the new Tomb Raider, but that it was her first in a while. So she probably wasn’t following news on The Last of Us. I’ve no doubt somebody showed her the early trailer though, Ellie was very similar to her.

She was responsding to

Comment posted on 24/06/2013 at 11:56.
    • colmshan1990
      Since: Apr 2009

She was responding to a question on the topic and gave an honest opinion- one I’m sure many of us would share in her position.

Comment posted on 24/06/2013 at 11:57.
  9. Awayze
    Since: Jul 2010

I did think when TLOU was announced and Beyond was aswell with the Ellen Page name flying about, I thought Ellie was Ellen. Even the names are similar lol.

Comment posted on 24/06/2013 at 03:58.
  10. Flash

With 7 billion+ people on earth, any character is going to look like someone else.

Comment posted on 24/06/2013 at 04:25.
    • RudeAwakening
      Since: Jan 2011

That is so true. I bet you there is someone on this planet that has some kind of resemblence to myself.

Comment posted on 24/06/2013 at 21:56.