Peter Molyneux Unimpressed By GTA V Sales Figures

Molyneux prefers mobile.

Grand Theft Auto 5 has beaten all global sales records to become the biggest entertainment launch ever, generating $800million revenue in its first 24 hours. Whilst most of us were simply astonished by these figures, Peter Molyneux is unimpressed.

Speaking at Mobile Entertainment’s Top 50 Mobile Innovators party last night, the 22 Cans founder discussed Grand Theft Auto V.

“You can hardly avoid it.,” he said. “It will achieve around $1 billion in revenue on consoles in just one month. Sounds impressive, doesn’t it? No. That’s not impressive.”

It’s not? Care to enlighten us Mr Molyneux?

“What is outstandingly impressive is the success of mobile companies like Supercell, who has released games including Hay Day and Clash of Clans. Those games, which were released 18 months ago, are achieving revenue between $3 million and $5 million each day. That is impressive.”

Well yes, yes it is, but that does not take anything away Grand Theft Auto’s numbers. I wonder if Peter knows many downloads the iFruit GTA companion app has racked up over the last 24 hours?

Outspoken Molyneux famously left Microsoft and AAA development  last year to form indie studio 22 Cans.

“That bastard Steve Jobs stood up on stage and changed my life forever with a flick of a screen. I realised then that the most innovational thing that you can do is change the way people interact with entertainment,” he said.

Source: Mobile-Entertainment

1. webby_15-0

I really do dislike Peter Molyneux.

Comment posted on 19/09/2013 at 16:45.
  2. Bilbo_bobbins

god this man is a fuckwit and a half.

Comment posted on 19/09/2013 at 16:45.
    • duke
      Since: Apr 2011

I couldn’t have put it better myself.

Comment posted on 20/09/2013 at 11:19.
  3. Jimster71

He is speaking at a Mobile Innovators conference that we would never of heard of if he hadn’t made a quote like that.

Comment posted on 19/09/2013 at 16:47.
    • 3shirts

Exactly right. He had to say something a bit controversial and it makes sence to comment on the biggest gaming news of the moment. Very contrived and cheap Mr Molyneux.

You used to be cool

Comment posted on 20/09/2013 at 10:15.
  4. 2ofclubs
    Since: Sep 2008

What an idiot. So he’s comparing two completely separate platforms i.e. microtransactions and a retail release. No they might not make the same amount but they aren’t designed on the same business model so of course they won’t. I was never a fan of him but he seems to make things worse all the time.

Comment posted on 19/09/2013 at 16:53.
  5. Amphlett

I can see what Grandpa means about the new new game types changing the industry but honestly, I think nurse needs to offer some medication if he’s not impressed with GTA V sales figures.

Comment posted on 19/09/2013 at 16:54.
  6. yiddo
    Since: Jun 2010

You jealous Peter because R* promised things and DELIVERED them?

Go back to making false promises on games and not achieving them.

Comment posted on 19/09/2013 at 17:11.
  7. skibadee
    Since: Oct 2009

what a tool

Comment posted on 19/09/2013 at 17:13.
  8. Youles
    Since: Feb 2011

If I was on Twitter, I’d definitely send him abuse.

Comment posted on 19/09/2013 at 17:18.
  9. Alex C
    One for all.

You’re all missing the point. Will GTA V be making $3 million a day in 18 months…?

Comment posted on 19/09/2013 at 17:20.
    • Adam Guest
      Since: Apr 2010

Of course not, and his point’s a valid one; As a long term business model mobile & “freemium” will undoubtedly make more money than consoles.

I suggest people are just a little peeved at his turn of phrase. To call an $800m launch within the industry “not impressive” is somewhat disingenous, especially given his time working on AAAs.

Comment posted on 19/09/2013 at 17:38.
    • bunimomike

You’re missing the point, I feel, Alex. What’s impressive is both sets of data. He’s being a tool and trying to shift the limelight onto the world he operates in at present. Classic ploy.

Comment posted on 19/09/2013 at 18:57.
      • Alex C
        One for all.

“He’s being a tool”

Ugh.

Comment posted on 19/09/2013 at 21:32.
      • KeRaSh

Like it or not but that is the way he comes across. His comment is simply ignorant and it’s not the first time he said something as stupid and childish as that.

Comment posted on 20/09/2013 at 12:22.
    • cc_star
      Team TSA: Writer

Yep. That, along with the audience he was addressing.

Comment posted on 19/09/2013 at 19:02.
    • KeRaSh

Definitely not, but with 1bn within the first month, they don’t need to. They will make most of their money within the first 3 to 6 months and when the PC and next gen versions hit + Steam sales.
      Those mobile numbers are also hard to judge. These games need a huge amount of players to make that much money and unless you are Rovio, Pop Cap or Zepto Labs you will have trouble reaching such numbers and even if you do, it could be that your game struggled for months before suddenly taking off so you can’t just multiply the number of days the game has been out with the current revenue numbers.

Two things are for sure, though.
      1: Mollyneux’s games will never reach these revenue numbers.
      2: Mollyneux is an idiot. Whenever he makes a public statement you think he couldn’t say something more stupid the next time and yet here we are.

Comment posted on 19/09/2013 at 19:13.
      • bunimomike

I want to hug your second point.

Comment posted on 19/09/2013 at 20:57.
      • ron_mcphatty
        Since: Sep 2008

He does have a talent for making points in the least endearing way. Alex is right, those mobile figures are ridiculously impressive, but I just don’t like his tone. I’m impressed, to him I must seem an idiot.

Comment posted on 20/09/2013 at 11:40.
      • ron_mcphatty
        Since: Sep 2008

Sorry, meant to type I’m impressed by the GTA figures.

Comment posted on 20/09/2013 at 11:41.
      • ron_mcphatty
        Since: Sep 2008

Buggerit, I also meant I don’t like Molyneux’s tone. Sod this, I obviously can’t write what I’m thinking properly anymore.

Comment posted on 20/09/2013 at 11:43.
  10. TSBonyman

And yet i’ve never heard of either of those games.. :/

Comment posted on 19/09/2013 at 17:24.
    • Yahavage
      Since: Apr 2010

My thoughts exactly, and that’s what counts.

Comment posted on 19/09/2013 at 18:29.