PS4 FAQ Provides Answers And Limitations - No External Hard Drives Or Video Transferring

Oh, and no MP3s either.

A massive PS4 FAQ has just went live over on the PlayStation Blog, and a lot of it treads old ground. So, we’ve went through it and rounded up all of the new, but it’s well worth a read in case you’ve missed anything.

ps4faq1

Firstly, you won’t be able to connect an external hard drive in order to expand your storage on PS4, and along with that you won’t be able to play MP3 files or audio CDs on the system, either – you’ll have you use Sony’s Music Unlimited subscription service for background playing of music.

In terms of video settings, there’s a bit of good news, as you won’t have to reset (done on the PS3 by holding the power button down) these settings to change TVs or resolution. 3D will also be supported, “though no launch titles are currently 3D compatible”. So, does that mean Resogun won’t be 3D as previously hinted at?

They’ve confirmed that PS4 games will be cached to the hard drive, rather than installed fully “to ensure a smooth gaming experience” as we reported this morning. However, you won’t be able to install from a disc and then buy a download version to activate that data – a download will still be required.

ps4faq2

If you want to keep all of your trophies and friends – of which you can now have up to 2000 – you’ll have to keep the same ID, though you’re able to display your real name too, and can import your Facebook photo to be used as your PSN profile picture.

There won’t be any custom Dynamic Themes as there are currently on PS3, but the browser will be “faster and more compatible than the browser that comes with PS3″.

Sony are remaining vague on whether you can access and buy PS4 digital content through a different region of the PSN – for example the US store – by saying “We recommend that people buy from the PlayStation Store in the region in which they signed up in order to ensure the best experience and customer support.” but nowhere denying that you can.

ps4faq3

Unfortunately, editing video content will be strictly limited to the PS4 system, which currently only allows you to trim the video to your liking. And then you won’t even be able to upload it to YouTube, as the Share button will only support Facebook for distribution. It does sound as though they’re finalising plans for YouTube however, as they say to follow the PlayStation Blog for further news on services to come after launch.

And there’s also an interesting bit about the Vita – a forthcoming software update will allow for automatic downloads of subsequent software updates, as the PS3 and PS4 do.

You can read the full FAQ on the PS Blog.

Read more: # #
  1. Tuffcub
    On the naughty step.

No External hard drives and no mp3s? This needs fixing, and fixing fast.

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 18:27.
    • Bilbo_bobbins

This really is a bit shocking to be honest. No Mp3s is a pathetic move by Sony, especially as Sony Unlimited Music is shit, and expensive.

Comment posted on 31/10/2013 at 08:59.
      • 3shirts

Yeah. It’s always a sign of a poor service when you have to basically force people to use it. I use Google Music because it is good and people use Spotify for the same reason.
        If people aren’t using Music Unlimited, Sony, make it better, don’t just try and MAKE people use it

Comment posted on 31/10/2013 at 10:23.
      • Matthijs

I don’t ever remember playing a single MP3 on my ps3. What’s all the fuss about.

Comment posted on 31/10/2013 at 13:27.
      • anubis
        Since: Nov 2013

Hup. Discussion over guys. Matthijs here never used the feature so it’s not worth making a fuss over.

Thanks Matt. For a minute there we all made the mistake of thinking your needs weren’t the only needs that matter.

Comment posted on 01/11/2013 at 18:54.
  2. yd
    Since: Mar 2011

Can’t play MP3s? Or audio CDs? No DLNA support? No external hard drives?

It was all going so well for Sony lately. Now they’ve forgot to include features that the PS3 had.

Can they put all those things in with another update, without looking like they have as much of a clue as MS have been demonstrating they clearly haven’t got?

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 18:33.
    • Alex C
      One for all.

No DNLA sucks.

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 18:42.
      • Andrewww
        Since: Jan 2010

Agreed. I’m a bit surprised they forgot about basic functionality the PS3 has. At least the PS4 is flat, so that I can put the PS3 on top of it, not to lose these things.

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 19:56.
    • KeRaSh

The push for Unlimited is a little over the top. No MP3 playback? I’m sure fridges and microwaves do that nowdays. If your device is unable to play MP3s,you might as well not release it at all.
      Very, very stupid descission. I’ve rarely played music on my PS3 and I wouldn’t bother too much with it on the PS4 but this blatant omission just rubs me the wrong way.

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 20:17.
      • stueeeee

I keep my entire music collection on my ps3, along with photos and vids. May not get ps4 for a while if I can’t just have one system with it all on…..
        Here’s hoping they patch it in!

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 23:06.
      • DividSmythe
        Since: May 2012

All my music content was/is on my ps3(was meaning HDD failure lost my Mp3 history). Never mind.
        I’ve noticed recently that music unlimited has stopped its 12 month subs,which I didn’t mind buying at £60 per annum. I won’t pay £10 per month. Sorry for waffle but lack of mp3 is bad. I’m close to cancel of my Ps4 pre-order due too.

Comment posted on 31/10/2013 at 00:04.
  3. skibadee
    Since: Oct 2009

bit gimped we cant use mp3s? hardrive not bothered about can change the PS4 one.

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 18:35.
  4. Demibeard

Um, the media capabilities are very limited, no CDs, no DLNA. That’s poo.

My PS3 does all of this, why not the PS4?

I guess it really is 4 gamers. It’s a good job I’m keeping the PS3 for my backlog.

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 18:37.
  5. JR.
    Since: Apr 2013

Not bothered about the other stuff but no CD’s or mp3′s because they want you to subscribe to their crappy music unlimited. They better patch this shit out.

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 18:46.
  6. beeje13
    Since: Jan 2010

I’m thinking they hope to get loads of subscriptions to music unlimited. Last time I checked, their cheapest option only let you stream 1 minutes clips of songs.

REALISATION: You can upload some of your own songs to music unlimted (for free I think) and then stream those, awkward and unlikely to match the quality of locally stored high quality mp3 files or other formats for that matter.

I’m thinking that they could also patch this is in once they’ve got a new influx of subscribers who will inevitably sign up. Still disappointed by this though.

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 18:56.
    • beeje13
      Since: Jan 2010

Ok, so I checked MU today (via android app) and you can now stream the (80 second) clips for free, but you have to pay to stream your own music, something which Google play does for free.

Comment posted on 31/10/2013 at 18:37.
  7. DarkLord
    Since: Oct 2013

No DLNA no sale. Will hold off next gen purchase until ps4 has it.

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 18:56.
    • DarkLord
      Since: Oct 2013

Hopefully all will be clarified, and if it’s a licencing Cost thing, then a store purchase of an add on is all that’s needed.

The ps3 also didn’t ship with DLNA, it arrived 3 months or so later, but it was always promised. Right now Sony need to clarify not at launchpad never….

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 19:50.
    • DarkLord
      Since: Oct 2013

The ps3 also didn’t ship with DLNA, it arrived 3 months or so later, but it was always promised. Right now Sony need to clarify not at launch or never….

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 19:50.
  8. Kamokazi-UK
    Since: Sep 2009

Won’t take long for Major Nelson to use this…

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 18:57.
  9. Starman
    Since: Jul 2011

Did Sony sign up all the Microsoft guys that were fired/resigned? So very ms-like decisions.

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 18:57.
  10. stormy
    Since: Apr 2010

No mention of video (mp4, avi, mkv) playback. Judging by the lack of mp3 playback I assume these probably won’t be supported either?

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 18:58.
    • stormy
      Since: Apr 2010

And no DLNA support is just retarded. :(

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 19:04.
    • Spence1115

Well there’s no external hard drive support at all, and the PS3 didn’t support MKVs, so I doubt it.

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 19:16.