E3 is over, the news has been reported and the considered analysis is well underway. After a very busy week we have time to catch our breath. Way back at the start of May, to get things started before the rumours and leaks got into full stride, we launched our TSA E3 Bingo competition.
We have reviewed all the news that came out of E3 and compared it against our bingo picks. Despite some near misses, we only managed to get six hits on the full list of fifty six. The near misses included the Rock Band Unplugged demo going up on the PSN the week before E3 and news of the black Wii coming out of Nintendo Japan during the conference rather than being announced at E3 itself.
The gamble didn’t pay off if you picked that either, as despite a number of developers and publishers pulling staff out of E3 because of swine flu, E3 still went ahead.
While we go through and work out which of you have won the 500 TSA points and a Valkyria Chronicles art book, here is your chance to see how well the staff did.
1= Chris (8, 26, 28, 16, 17, 20, 27, 29, 32, 39, 50, 55)
1= Peter (8, 28, 31, 5, 17, 20, 23, 27, 37, 40, 41, 54)
1= David (1, 8, 28, 2, 5, 9, 12, 18, 20, 33, 35, 54)
1= Nick (1, 28, 31, 14, 20, 22, 27, 33, 39, 45, 48, 54)
5 Alex (8, 28, 4, 5, 6, 12, 17, 20, 23, 32, 36, 40)
6 Greg (28, 4, 5, 6, 20, 22, 23, 27, 32, 36, 54, 56)
7 Liam (2, 4, 9, 10, 12, 16, 20, 23, 27, 37, 54, 55)
And here is the list showing just how badly we did with our fifty six predictions:
Sony’s E3 Keynote – This first 20 have to specifically be mentioned/appear in Sony’s E3 keynote presentation.
- 1. New UMD-less PSP announced.
- 2. New PSP will launch in a LittleBigPlanet bundle.
- 3. New PSP and Gran Turismo Portable demonstrated on-stage.
- 4. Kazunori Yamauchi appears on-stage to talk about Gran Turismo 5.
- 5. David Cage appears on-stage to talk about Heavy Rain.
- 6. Dylan Cuthbert appears on-stage to talk about PixelJunk 1-4.
- 7. Jack Tretton and Kazuo Hirai duet on stage with the new SingStar wireless mics.
- 8. Zipper Interactive play MAG on-stage.
- 9. Naughty Dog’s Evan Wells plays Uncharted 2’s multi-player on-stage.
- 10. David Jaffe plays God of War III on-stage. Does not swear. Not even once.
- 11. PS3 price to be cut by $100.
- 12. PS3 price to be cut by $50.
- 13. PS Cloud announced. MAG will be it’s first server-hosted, pay-as-you-play game.
- 14. New PS3 firmware announced. Finally the clock/battery meter conflict will be resolved.
- 15. New PS3 firmware announced. Includes slimmed-down, in-game XMB.
- 16. New PS3 firmware coming later in the year that will deliver backwards-compatibility with PS2 via software.
- 17. PS2 games coming to the PSN Store later in the year.
- 18. Deal announced with MTV to bring original programming onto the PSN Video Store.
- 19. Deal announced with Disney to bring original programming onto the PSN Video Store.
- 20. SCEA gloat about the success of the PSN Video Store. Reassure Europe it’s on the way for them.
PS3 – Announcements/demos any time during E3.
- 21. Team ICO revealed to be the developers behind Xi on PlayStation Home. Compare their teaser picture with the Home manhole.
- 22. Heavy Rain demo goes up on the PSN Store during E3 (2nd-4th June).
- 23. EyePet launch dated.
- 24. God of War III demo goes up on the PSN Store during E3 (2nd-4th June).
- 25. Blu-ray 3D movies coming to PS3 this calendar year. Time to buy a new TV.
- 26. The first 3D game (in the same sense as 3D movies) will be released this calendar year.
- 27. Gran Turismo 5 launching worldwide in time for Christmas.
- 28. Team ICO’s new game named and a trailer shown.
- 29. Team ICO’s new game playable at E3.
- 30. Q Games announce the first of their second series of PixelJunk games (i.e., PixelJunk 2-1).
- 31. New PS3 peripheral announced. A motion-sensing, “wand” controller.
- 32. Starhawk demonstrated on the show floor.
- 33. Starhawk revealed to support up to 64 players; different modes allow combat at all altitudes from the planet’s surface to orbit; persistent warfare across solar systems, similar to Tom Clancy’s EndWar’s online Global View.
- 34. With Gran Turismo 5 running on your PS3 and Gran Turismo Portable on your PSP, you can use your PSP as a wing mirror.
- 35. A 250GB PS3 will be launched before Christmas.
PSP – Announcements/demos any time during E3.
- 36. No new PSP announced. So this is more of a non-announcement.
- 37. Jade Raymond promotes the PSP version of Assassin’s Creed.
- 38. Hannah Montana appears promoting the Lilac PSP bundle.
- 39. New Killzone PSP title announced.
- 40. New WipEout PSP title announced.
- 41. LittleBigPlanet PSP demo goes up on the PSN Store during E3 (2nd-4th June).
- 42. Rock Band Unplugged demo goes up on the PSN Store during E3 (2nd-4th June).
- 43. LittleBigPlanet PSP will allow you to create objects for uploading to your PS3 LBP level.
- 44. Team ICO’s new game is a PSP sequel to Shadow of the Colossus. Features wireless multi-player so you can team up against the Colossi.
- 45. A PSP version of Home is announced. Not 3D, but “space” and “avatar” based.
PS2 – Announcements/demos any time during E3.
- 46. “Decade of Games” range announced, featuring the best game from each year of the PS2’s release.
- 47. “Decade of Games” bundle announced. $179 buys you a PS2 and the whole Decade of Games range of titles.
- 48. “PS2 Essentials” God of War I & II double game pack announced.
- 49. “PS2 Essentials” ICO and Shadow of the Colossus double game pack announced.
- 50. New range of casual games released accompanying a new controller. It looks remarkably like a black Wiimote.
Microsoft and Nintendo – Announcements any time during E3.
- 51. Microsoft apologise for making recent 360’s report an E74 error instead of the RRoD, when it’s the same fault causing both.
- 52. Microsoft announce their Xbox handheld console incorporating Zune functionality. Plays original Xbox games.
- 53. Microsoft announce the Xbox 360’s successor will launch before Christmas.
- 54. Nintendo launch the Wii in a range of colours to get people buying it again.
- 55. Nintendo restate that third-party titles do well on the Wii. Madworld gets mentioned. Nintendo change the subject.
The Gamble – Picking this one will mean that you cannot get a full house. But it may mean you score 1 while lots of other people score 0…
- 56. E3 cancelled due to the Swine Flu pandemic.