Scarecrow May Not Feature in Batman: Arkham City

Is Rocksteady playing tricks on our minds?

Rocksteady’s Paul Crocker has cast doubt on the inclusion of Scarecrow in Batman Arkham City.

Scarecrow featured prominently in Batman: Arkham Asylum, trying to break Batman down psychologically. His encounters were some of the most memorable and twisted parts of the Arkham Asylum experience. However, Paul Crocker has said:

“In Batman: Arkham Asylum we had the whole Scarecrow thing, and we didn’t want to do that again we wanted something different.”

This could mean that Scarecrow won’t feature at all in the upcoming Arkham City or, if he does feature, the encounters with him will be vastly different from those of the first game. With the list of villains announced including Joker, Riddler, Penguin, Dr Hugo Strange and Two Face, maybe there just isn’t enough room for Scarecrow to make his mark.

Batman: Arkham City releases on October 21st in the UK.

Source: ArkhamCity.co.uk

1. R4U Eldave0
    andUandU

Still in two minds about getting this. On the one hand AA was awesome and I had high hopes for this one, but places like IGN, etc have completely tainted this one by giving away endless spoilers without any sort of warning.

Comment posted on 20/09/2011 at 10:39.
    • SpikeyMikey23

I’ve stayed away from any story spoilers and videos. All I’ve seen is a combat video or 2. Cannot wait for this either. Thank god im not working christmas this year. I may have time to play the mountains of games ill be getting

Comment posted on 20/09/2011 at 10:47.
      • R4U Eldave0
        andUandU

Lol, I know the feeling. The number of great looking games between now and December is absolutely insane.For the sake of my bank balance I’m going to try and keep it down to MW3, BF3, Fifa12 and Uncharted3 but I know I’ll cave and end up with about 10 more lol

Comment posted on 20/09/2011 at 11:26.
    • E8_BALL_
      Since: Jul 2010

After watching the first two trailers, I resisted from watching anymore, for this very reason. Unfortunately i broke where skyrim is concerned, too much definitely takes a little of the shine away.

Comment posted on 20/09/2011 at 22:32.
  2. Kevatron400
    Drake, baby.

That’s OK I think. The build up to the scarecrow sections in AA were probably better than the actual sections themselves, which were a little arcady, compared to the rest of the game; when it starts to rain in the corridor and then turns into a street, you’re like “whaaaat?”

Comment posted on 20/09/2011 at 10:40.
    • bacon_nuts
      Since: Mar 2011

I’d have to agree with you there, the setups were probably better. Really liked the morgue bit too, so creepy the first time. Hopefully they can do some other cool things in this game if scarecrow isn’t there. Should be good..

Comment posted on 20/09/2011 at 10:44.
  3. Forrest_01

I agree – The scarcrow bits were in AA & they risk the concept getting stale if they just repeat the same things in AC. A cameo might be nice, but i don’t think it needs to be anything more than that IMO.

They can still do some wonderful things with the other characters in the game. I have faith in you Rocksteady. :)

Comment posted on 20/09/2011 at 10:55.
  4. halbpro
    Team TSA: Writer
    Since: Mar 2009

Makes sense to me, I don’t think Scarecrow would survive as a strong character in the Arkham City environment.

Comment posted on 20/09/2011 at 10:57.
  5. Mr-Flame-Head
    Since: Mar 2009

btw the character Deadshot was also recently announced as being in arkham city

Comment posted on 20/09/2011 at 11:27.
  6. shields_t
    Since: Oct 2008

I thought the one that really sufferred by lack of airtime in Arkham Asylum was Killer Croc, especially after his introduction at the beginning.

Comment posted on 20/09/2011 at 12:30.
    • R4U Eldave0
      andUandU

Still stands as the biggest ‘let-down moment’ in my 15 years of gaming :(

Comment posted on 20/09/2011 at 13:22.
  7. StevenHibs
    Since: Oct 2009

Im guessing Hugo Strange will take over from the Scarecrow, to give Batman those kinds of moments

Comment posted on 20/09/2011 at 13:04.
  8. Scythegpd
    Since: Jul 2010

Good. I was already worried about the number of villians they seemed to be shoe-horning into AA. Unless the game is immensley long (unlikely considering the length of AA) it’s unlikely they’ll be able to properly do all the major villians involved justice. Adding even more would make me even more concerned. Even in the first game some villians were depressingly under-utilised (e.g. Bane, Killer Croc).

And as said by others, a repetition of the scarecrow scenes from the first game would not have the same impact, it would be more “been there, done that”

Comment posted on 20/09/2011 at 21:29.
  9. The Lone Steven
    Never heard of him.

Well he was you know by thingy. Plus i would imagine that he would get his butt handed to him by the other villains. I generally thought that my copy of Batman AA was broke when it made that noise and plays the intro. The scarecrow was interesting but i would have liked more scarecrow battles that were different. :)

Comment posted on 20/09/2011 at 21:43.
  10. Origami Killer

That’s understandable. Thought the Scarecrow parts were great at first but after 3 they were just repetitive. I know B:AC revolves round comics but even in Batman Begins the Scarecrow was really quite crap and was beat easily by the Batman :P

Comment posted on 20/09/2011 at 22:40.