Tomb Raider has, unsurprisingly, taken the top spot on today’s charts. It’s the biggest launch of the year too, selling almost double the first week units of previous biggest launch, Aliens: Colonial Marines. Perhaps being a decent game can account for more than a lucrative movie licence?
Lara’s return is a fantastic character-driven take on the classic Tomb Raider formula that takes beats from Assassin’s Creed, Arkham City and Uncharted and combines them into one of the best games I’ve played in ages.
SimCity is in second, and that’s without including digital sales that aren’t counted in this chart. Surely a large chunk of sales for Maxis’ simulation mayor-em-up will have been through Origin, indicating that the game – beset with server issues as it is – has sold exceptionally well. While server problems remain – and there are serious questions to be answered by the developer and the publisher on that score – SimCity is incredibly enjoyable and becoming more reliable as days go on.
EA’s gibberish-speaking automatons lay claim to another spot in the top five, too. Sitting in fourth, just below Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3, is The Sims 3: University Life. EA also takes fifth and sixth spot with FIFA and Crysis 3 respectively.
At the risk of labouring a point, the top 40 sees no Vita or Wii U exclusives and only one PlayStation 3 exclusive with Gran Turismo reappearing at number 40. The Xbox 360 fares a little better with Halo 4 and Forza Horizon both just inside the top 20.
Here’s the top twenty, for more visit UKIE.
- TOMB RAIDER – SQUARE ENIX EUROPE
- SIMCITY – ELECTRONIC ARTS
- NARUTO SHIPPUDEN: ULTIMATE NINJA STORM 3 – NAMCO BANDAI GAMES
- THE SIMS 3: UNIVERSITY LIFE – ELECTRONIC ARTS
- FIFA 13 – ELECTRONIC ARTS
- CRYSIS 3 – ELECTRONIC ARTS
- CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS II – ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
- FAR CRY 3 – UBISOFT
- METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE – KONAMI
- THE ELDER SCROLLS V: SKYRIM – BETHESDA
- ASSASSIN’S CREED III – UBISOFT
- NEED FOR SPEED MOST WANTED – ELECTRONIC ARTS
- SKYLANDERS GIANTS – ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
- HITMAN ABSOLUTION – SQUARE ENIX EUROPE
- ALIENS: COLONIAL MARINES – SEGA
- LEGO BATMAN 2: DC SUPER HEROES – WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE
- HALO 4 – MICROSOFT
- GRAND THEFT AUTO IV – TAKE 2
- DEAD SPACE 3 – ELECTRONIC ARTS
- FORZA HORIZON – MICROSOFT