I wasn’t that taken with Resident Evil Revelations when I wrote about it last week. Despite it being the closest thing to a proper Resident Evil game we’ve seen in years, I think it feels very dated and too familiar to really supply the scares.
But the buying public is voting with their wallets to disagree with me.
Revelations has made it to the top of this week’s retail charts. The previous version of the game, on 3DS, only managed to make it to number six when it was released back at the start of 2012 so it’s clear that this HD re-issue, with added features, is a popular strategy.
FIFA 13 saw some discounting this week and manages to climb back up the chart to second place, ahead of the bleak nuclear winter depicted in Metro Last Light and the similarly apocalyptic zombie-slapping of Dead Island’s standalone expansion, Riptide.
Thankfully, after all that depressing fall of humanity type stuff, Nintendo fires a barrel full of colour in our direction with Donkey Kong Country Returns.
That’s the first of three Nintendo 3DS exclusives inside the top ten, with Luigi’s Mansion 2 and Lego City Undercover: The Chase Begins just squeezing in at ninth and tenth spot respectively.
Oh, in case you’re wondering, Skyrim has dropped out of the top twenty for the first time in what seems like forever but it’s only at number 21 so it hasn’t gone too far.
Here’s the top twenty, you can get the full top forty over at UKIE:
- RESIDENT EVIL: REVELATIONS – CAPCOM
- FIFA 13 – ELECTRONIC ARTS
- METRO LAST LIGHT – KOCH MEDIA
- DEAD ISLAND: RIPTIDE – KOCH MEDIA
- DONKEY KONG COUNTRY RETURNS – NINTENDO
- ASSASSIN’S CREED III – UBISOFT
- TOMB RAIDER – SQUARE ENIX EUROPE
- FAR CRY 3 – UBISOFT
- LUIGI’S MANSION 2 – NINTENDO
- LEGO CITY UNDERCOVER: THE CHASE BEGINS – NINTENDO
- INJUSTICE: GODS AMONG US – WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE
- LEGO BATMAN 2: DC SUPER HEROES – WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE
- POKEMON MYSTERY DUNGEON: INFINITY – NINTENDO
- FAST & FURIOUS: SHOWDOWN – ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
- NEED FOR SPEED MOST WANTED – ELECTRONIC ARTS
- GOD OF WAR: ASCENSION – SONY COMPUTER ENT.
- THE WALKING DEAD – TELLTALE GAMES
- BIOSHOCK INFINITE – TAKE 2
- CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS II – ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
- SKYLANDERS GIANTS – ACTIVISION BLIZZARD