After trying his hand at virtual reality and barking like a dog, the gift that just keeps on giving, a.k.a. Boris Johnson, has gone totally digital to become a character in a Minecraft version of London. The pixelated Mayor is here to announce the London Games Festival, and new £1.2 million event that will encompass EGX Rezzed and the Bafta Video Game Awards, along with new events:
- Now Play This (1 April – 3 April), a weekend festival of games and play at Somerset House, as part of Utopia 2016: A Year of Imagination and Possibility
- The brand-new Games Finance Market (5 April – 7 April), a first of its kind event that recreates the successful formula delivered by Film London in matching film finance to film projects during the London Film Festival. The Games Finance Market will connect interactive content talent with global investors and partners from across sectors
- A series of insightful ‘LGF @ BFI’ talks (4 April) programmed and presented by London Games Festival in partnership with BFI Southbank
- The inclusion of already influential global events: British Academy Games Awards (7 April) and EGX Rezzed (7 April – 9 April)
- An inspiring cultural programme that helps change perceptions of video games and champions the medium as a cutting-edge art form – plus a London Games Fringe of alternative and exciting smaller events
Boris is on a roll at the moment, one of his new festivals “Lumeire London” has just finished and was massive hit with record crowds out on the streets of London.