One of the disappointing things about Prey at launch was that it featured no support for the PlayStation 4 Pro at launch. No higher resolution, no improved anti-aliasing, no higher resolution effects, no improvements whatsoever. What made it worse was that PS4 Pro support was actually on the back of the retail box, making you wonder firstly what Bethesda were up to and why Sony were letting them get away with this.
Thankfully, it hasn’t taken too long for Arkane Studios and Bethesda to rectify the situation, though if you’re already finished the game you’ll miss out on these improvements. A PS4 patch is out now, with PC and Xbox One patches are due for release later this week.
While it doesn’t seem to add a higher resolution mode, PS4 Pro support adds:
- Enable Screen-Space Reflections
- Higher quality shadows
- Improved texture appearance
- More texture memory (stable streaming)
- Anisotropy 16x (from 4x)
- Improved visual fidelity
- Less LOD usage
- Dynamic lights show up further
- Particles are allowed to draw more pixels per effect
- Particle refraction enabled
Beyond that, 1.04 makes a number of fixes and continues to try and combat the input lag issues the beset the game on PS4 at launch.
- Additional fixes for PS4 input drift
- Glooing Cook between objectives no longer breaks mission
- ‘Nightmare is Hunting You’ no longer plays after completing ‘Copy Protection’ without Typhon Neuromods installed
- Disgruntled Employee mission now properly completes if player finds Grant Lockwood prior to getting mission.
- Sarah Elazar will now give the code for Cargo Bay B if player has hostility from Phantoms
- Aaron Ingram will no longer flee and cower when released in Psychotronics
- Player can no longer lock themselves in the security pharmaceuticals office in Trauma
- Superfruit no longer appears shrunken and flat when fully grown.
- Adjusted timing on several cutscenes.
- Blank objective markers no longer persist above reticle
- Using key actions while controller prompts are shown will no longer cause a freeze.
- Tracking bracelets are now sent to Recycler with “Transfer all Junk”