Coding legend and yak fan Jeff Minter has had a rocky relationship with Atari recently. He wrote Tempest 2000 and other games for the Atari Jaguar in 2004 but recently the elderly Japanese publisher has been threatening Minter with legal action over TxK, which Atari said was a copy of Tempest 2000 which they owned. This meant the PS4 and PlayStation VR versions of TxK were shelved, and Minter went on to release Polybius for PlayStation VR. If you’ve not tried it then you should, it’s one of the most intense experiences to be found on the headset.
So after all that it’s surprising to hear that Atari and Minter have kissed and made up and will be teaming up to release Tempest 4000. “At the end of the day, video gamers always win,” said Jeff Minter. “I am very happy to work with Atari again to bring a long-awaited sequel of Tempest to our legion of fans and a new generation of gamers worldwide.”
We don’t know much about the game other that it’s coming to unspecified consoles, which probably include the new Ataribox, and PC, but I do hope we get a PSVR version. Here’s what has been promised:
- Arcade Style Shooter: Blast down hordes of enemies in this fast-paced arcade style shoot ‘em up.
- Unparalleled Graphics: Experience Tempest 4000’s mind-blowing graphics in beautiful 4K resolution.
- Multiple Game Modes: Pick from three different game modes including Standard, Pure and Endurance that will push your skills to the limit.
- Level Up: Progress and clear through 100 unique geometric levels by destroying enemies with various weapons and power-ups, and earn upgrades through bonus rounds.
- Climb to the Top of the Leaderboards: Post your high score in your quest to be recognized as number one on the leaderboards.
- Retro Techno Soundtrack: Enjoy the beats of a thumping soundtrack inspired by early 1990’s techno.
- Old School Gameplay: Feeling nostalgic? Relive the traditional gameplay of the original Tempest with enhanced graphics on current generation consoles.
Source: Press release