Atari have released details and a video for Tempest 4000 which is being created by Llama fan and gaming legend, Jeff Minter. Jeff previously released TxK on PS Vita and it was heading to PSVR and PS4 before Atari stepped in with legal action, and to me it looks like that Tempest 4000 is really just an Atari sanctioned version of TxK.
Sure, it’s prettier and now features filled polygonal enemies rather than wire frame graphics and a new trippy background effect, but the gameplay looks almost identical. Now that’s not necessarily a bad thing, TxK was really good, I was just hoping for something new.
- Arcade Style Shooter: Blast down hordes of enemies in this fast-paced arcade style shoot ‘em up.
- Fantastical World: Experience Tempest 4000’s mind-blowing and colorful graphics in beautiful 4K resolution.
- Three Game Modes: Pick from three different game modes including Standard, Pure and Endurance that will push your skills to the limit.
- 100 Levels: Progress and clear through 100 unique geometric levels by destroying enemies with various weapons and power-ups, and earn upgrades through bonus rounds.
- Leaderboards: Achieve your high score and post to the leaderboards in your quest to be recognized as No.1.
- Pulse-Pounding Soundtrack: Immerse yourself to a thumping soundtrack inspired by early 1990’s techno and rhythmic beats.
- Old School Gameplay: Experience the traditional gameplay of the original Tempest with enhanced graphics on current-gen consoles.