The Nintendo Switch has got a healthy list games coming out for it, but if you’ve been paying attention, you might have spotted that some games and demos are only coming out in Japan. Back near the release of the console, that included Puyo Puyo Tetris, but right now it’s the Monster Hunter XX demo that fans are eager to get their hands on.
Thankfully, the console is region free and you can have multiple accounts, meaning you can quite easily get onto the Japanese eShop and download these games to your Switch. It’s as simple as following these five steps:
1. Go to accounts.nintendo.com on your computer or smart device.
2. Create a new account with a different email from your original default account. Complete each field as you would except for your country/region of residence. Set this to Japan instead.
3. Next, create a new user profile on your Nintendo Switch console by going to System Settings > User > Add New User. Once you’ve named it, log in and link your newly created Nintendo Account to this profile.
4. After doing the previous step, you’ll get an email from Nintendo to the account you used to sign up with. It includes a four digit verification code to input into your Switch, and then you’re all set.
5. Finally, log into the eShop using your newly created Japanese profile and password and you should be free to browse and download whatever takes your fancy from the eShop.
It is worth noting the the Japanese eShop disregards system preferences and displays in Japanese, but if you’re familiar with the eShop layout, you’ll have no problem navigating and purchasing games.
Another factor to consider is that DLC purchased on the account won’t work when logged into the original user profile, games themselves have no such restrictions and will work on any user profile on the system.