Monza Debuts In Tomorrow's GT Sport 1.11 Patch

Monza time eight.

There’s not one, not two, but eight versions of the classic Autodromo Nazionale Monza circuit coming to Gran Turismo Sport tomorrow, as the game receives its first major update of 2018. This is alongside ten new cars and four new GT League events.

But let’s come back to Monza for a second. A notable omission from the game at launch – Monza’s always a popular track online amongst those who don’t have a sodding clue that you need to actually brake for the first chicane – the eight variations of Monza include three non-GP versions of Autodrome Lago Maggiore, simply dubbed Centre, East and West. I’m sure this is bound to feature heavily in the custom online lobbies over the next few weeks.

Polyphony’s generosity with free content extends to the cars as well, which will see the addition of such classics as:

• Dodge Viper GTS
  • Ferrari 512 BB
  • Ferrari 330 P4
  • Ford GT
  • Jaguar XJ13
  • Lamborghini Diablo GT
  • McLaren F1
  • Toyota 2000GT
  • Toyota FT-1
  • Toyota Supra RZ

Meanwhile, the single player GT League gave a slice of the classic middle-of-the-road Gran Turismo single player when it was added in December, and it’s getting just a tiny bit bigger with four new events:

• F150 Raptor Survival
  • J-Sport Meeting
  • La Festa Cavallino
  • Gr.3 Endurance Series

All told, it’s a solid looking update to the game, and shows Polyphony’s intent on filling in many of the gaps that the original release left.

Can we get Spa next, please?

Source: EU PS Blog

1. Avenger
    Since: Oct 2012

You had me excited at eight variations, but seriously, what has Maggiore got to do with Monza? I’m seeing a whopping 6 variations for Maggiore, 3 of them likely reverse ribbons, so that’s just two for Monza, GP and no chicane I’m guessing.

Still it’s welcome, but they really need to start adding them at a quicker rate if they’re going to be common tracks. Same kind of goes with the cars, I’d rather see newer cars less often than older cars on a regular basis.

Comment posted on 25/01/2018 at 18:37.
  2. RFC2007
    Since: Sep 2009

I’m just glad there’s new content and especially a new track to race on. Any cars added are most welcome, I’m not too fussy if they happen to be new or classic.

I do wish they’d have implemented some sort of incentive to play the GT League though other than just a little gold trophy and a few credits. More Playstation Trophies, and making the new cars winnable from playing seems an obvious idea, but never mind.

Still happy with this update :)

Comment posted on 25/01/2018 at 19:10.
    • MrYd
      Since: Mar 2011

I’ve been enjoying the GT League mode, along with the other single player bits. Just wish they’d implement some sort of AI for the cars you’re racing against. Because what they’ve got is terrible, really. Especially after the game makes you watch a stupidly patronising video before you can race online, showing you what you shouldn’t do. And then the AI does exactly that. All the time.

And that whole SR thing needs to go too. It just seems to be a way to cheat, since it’s linked to the other ranking. Get good at the game, deliberately drive like an arse and get knocked down to a lower ranking so you can race against new players and win?

Don’t get me started on the VR mode either. It’s fun, although Nurburgring in a campervan was not a good choice, but it needs more.

But yeah, I guess some more cars (because they haven’t got more than you’ll ever own already) and another track is good.

Don’t get me wrong. I like the game. Just unlocked the end movie (or “unskipable credits”) today. But for everything good about it, there’s something you can’t help wondering WTF they were thinking.

Comment posted on 25/01/2018 at 19:44.
      • BossHog
        Since: Sep 2017

Someone that doesn’t understand diversity and foreign culture.

Comment posted on 25/01/2018 at 23:29.
      • MrYd
        Since: Mar 2011

What?? I’m not allowed to criticise the many stupid decisions they made because I’m not Japanese? Racist :P

Comment posted on 26/01/2018 at 10:54.
  3. camdaz

All new content is welcome but I was hoping that one of the Monza varients was the old banked circuit, especially as they’ve included some of the old cars in the update.

I agree with MrYd that the VR mode needs expanding, a multi/unlimited lap time trail would be great.

Comment posted on 25/01/2018 at 22:34.
    • MrYd
      Since: Mar 2011

Yes! Unlimited laps would be good. 24 hour campervan Nurburgring VR races. Slowly driving alone up that hill where it struggles to beat 20mph. In VR. Looking around to see all those empty seats behind you.

Actually, that’d be a bit too silly, even for me.

Comment posted on 26/01/2018 at 11:04.