Strands, sticks and ropes, bananas, Kojima has ‘explained’ Death Stranding to us before using metaphors and similes but now he has explained how the game works and what it is about using straight forward language.
Death Stranding is a completely new type of action game, where the players goal is to reconnect isolated cities and a fragmented society. All elements, including the story and gameplay, are bound together by the theme of “Strand”, or connection.
As Sam Porter Bridges, you will attempt to “Bridge” these divisions, and in doing so, create new bonds or “Strands” with other players around the globe. Through your experience of playing the game, I hope you’ll come to understand the true importance of forging connections with others.
That’s a little clearer and the new 45 minute gameplay trailer really explains how the game works, although with hindsight it’s blinding obvious. Porter Bridges? Sam is a delivery man (porter) and is reconnecting the country (bridges). Duh.
Our first video is the briefing trailer, this is the one that leaked out from the Game Stop conference a few days ago.
And now the lengthy gameplay
As many of you are trying to stay spoiler free I’m not going to huge amounts of detail but here are some key points from the video.
- You will come across items left behind by other players – this is the asynchronous multiplayer that was previously mentioned. If you find a piece of kit that really helps you, you can leave a “like” for your fellow delivery person. You can also find cargo dropped by other players.
- There’s a lot of customisation from arm attachments to different skeletons that allow faster movement.
- Being alone, taking in the view, and chilling out is part of the game, as is a nice dip in a hot spring.
- You can drive trucks, bikes, or use a hovering carrier to transport his deliveries. The carrier can also be transformed in to a hoverboard.
- You will need to drop your load in order to fight effectively. There are boss fights.
- Items, such as footwear, can wear out.
- You can have a poo as well as a wee, not sure if a number 2 makes mushrooms grow.
Death Stranding is out on PlayStation 4 on November 8th. Excited?