If the name 9 Monkeys Of Shaolin rings a bell then well done for having a good memory. We first heard about the game back in March 2018 with a release date of winter than year, but then in August 2018 it was delayed all the way until winter 2019. The more observant of you will have noticed that we are heading in to winter of 2020 right now but better late than never I guess.
9 Monkeys of Shaolin is an old-school beat ‘em up from Buka Entertainment and Sobaka Studios with a single player story and local and online co-op. You play as Wei Cheng, a Chinese fisherman who is on a mission to avenge the deaths of your friends and family who were all killed when your home village was attached in a pirate raid. In between catching fish Wei Cheng has also trained in ancient martial arts so you will be able to kick and punch people rather than slap them with a freshly caught salmon.
And now, those all important features:
- 3 unique fighting styles: fight on earth, in the air or use mysterious magic seals. Combine these elements to defeat every enemy on your way.
- Captivating narrative: discover the fascinating story of Wei Cheng and follow him as he rises from a simple fisherman to the master of Shaolin martial arts.
- Stunning visual style: unlikely combination of historical and mystical elements gives you an exciting experience from every scene appears on screen.
- Extensive character development system: you learn a great deal of ways to victory as you discover various unlockable perks, items and fighting styles.
- More than 25 different levels: Chinese villages, pirate ship, Buddhist monasteries, Japanese mansions, ancient ruins and many more.
- 10 types of Chinese and Japanese polearms, each with its unique traits. Discover the landscapes to find new items!
- Co-op play: invite your friend to help you fight through growing waves of enemies and complete the game together.
The game is available now on PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch from £24.99 / €29.99 / $29.99.
Source: Press release