Housemarque has announced that Returnal patch 1.3.6 will be out tomorrow, Saturday 8th May, at 11AM GMT (12PM BST), hoping to fix a number of issues that were meant to be resolved in the ill-fated patch 1.3.3 that had to be pulled earlier this week after it triggered save corruption issues.
The Returnal version 1.3.6 patch notes are as follows:
- Multiple stability fixes addressing rare crashes.
- Fixed issue with pre-order suits occasionally blocking items and doors.
- Fixed incorrect healing behaviour.
- Fixed issues with custom controller mappings.
- Numerous minor fixes
- Fixed issue with corrupted save game
With the patch arriving tomorrow morning, Housemarque has again hazarded players that they will lose their current runs if the update is applied. This can happen automatically with the PS5 in rest mode if the console is set to auto-install downloaded updates.
The update does not address the common complaint that there is no way to suspend a run and resume it later, with the game taking a hardline approach to the roguelike and only having the ability to preserve a run to return to later by using the PS5’s rest mode.
On Wednesday night, Housemarque released the doomed patch 1.3.3 for Returnal, which introduced a save file corruption issue. The studio quickly pulled the patch and issued patch 1.3.4 to revert the game to the previous working version. Despite the common developer rule of never pushing an update on a Friday or a weekend, Housemarque has decided that they need to play with fire once more and release patch 1.3.6 on a Saturday. Risky business, but there are some significant progression issues that the team are trying to iron out as quickly as possible.
Before all of this kicked off, we handed out a stonking 9/10 in our Returnal review. here’s what Jim had to say.
It feels immensely satisfying to be sat here in 2021, eons after playing Super Stardust HD on PS3, and see just how far Housemarque has come. Offering a visual bullet hell spectacle, a showcase for the DualSense controller and a rewarding sci-fi narrative woven around the roguelike loop, we can say with unflinching confidence that Returnal is the PS5’s best game to date.
Returnal guides & more from TheSixthAxis
- Returnal Review
- Getting started in Returnal – 10 essential tips for beginners
- Watch us play 45 minutes of Returnal from the start of the game
- Returnal Items Guide – Parasites, Artefacts & Consumables, what do they do?
- Returnal – Ixion boss battle guide
- Returnal – Nemesis boss battle guide
- How Returnal and Deathloop are evolving the roguelike genre