Update 19/05: Housemarque has released the patch notes for Returnal update 1.3.7, which will be out tomorrow, Thursday 20th May, at 12PM UK Time. As a reminder, your PS5 will update the game automatically in Rest Mode, unless you disable the auto-update setting.
Here’s the Returnal update 1.3.7 patch notes:
- Fixed an issue with Deceased Scouts not appearing as often as intended.
- After having one of their Deceased Scout corpses scavenged, players will no longer receive a negative-effect parasite on startup.
- Fixed an issue where the Ophion boss might disappear after a player uses the Reconstructor during the fight.
- Fixed a rare audio bug causing loud noises during combat.
- Fixed a small number of issues where players might become stuck in various rooms.
- Fixed several issues where the player might encounter a black screen during the credits or whilst playing.
- Multiple fixes for rare crashes during gameplay.
The original article follows.
Returnal developer Housemarque have confirmed that a new update for the roguelike shooter will be going live later this week.
Taking to Twitter, the Resogun studio announced that the patch will be coming very soon – this Thursday, in fact. However, they did not disclose what new features and fixes will be coming in Returnal 1.3.7.
It’s likely that we’ll see a number of technical and stability issues ironed out when the new update drops. Since launch, a number of Returnal players have reported crashes, corrupted save data, and missing trophies.
Some Returnal players are no doubt hoping 1.3.7 will do more than remedy these issues. There’s a growing appetite for more content now that PS5 gamers are starting to wrap up the game’s story – including its mysterious third act.
One of the most requested features since Returnal launched is the implementation of a save system. If you close the game during the middle of a run, you will lose your progress. Many of us learned this the hard way, sinking hours into a playthrough only to switch off the PS5, come back later, and find Selene back at the game’s starting point.
It’s a pain, and a design choice that has split the fanbase. While it does help Returnal hold onto its hardcore status, there are plenty of player who simply don’t have three or so hours to commit to a single play session. Besides, desperate gamers have been resorting to pausing Returnal and putting their PS5 into standby.
When we reviewed Returnal, we gave the game a stellar 9 out of 10:
It feels immensely satisfying to be sat here in 2021, eons after playing Super Stardust HD on PS3, and see just how far Housemarque has come. Offering a visual bullet hell spectacle, a showcase for the DualSense controller and a rewarding sci-fi narrative woven around the roguelike loop, we can say with unflinching confidence that Returnal is the PS5’s best game to date.
Returnal guides & more from TheSixthAxis
- Returnal Review
- Getting started in Returnal – 10 essential tips for beginners
- Watch us play 45 minutes of Returnal from the start of the game
- Returnal Items Guide – Parasites, Artefacts & Consumables, what do they do?
- Returnal – Ixion boss battle guide
- Returnal – Nemesis boss battle guide
- How Returnal and Deathloop are evolving the roguelike genre
I have played Returnal while online for over 70 hours and have never seen a deceased scout of another player. Has anyone encountered one, or is this a bug where they are not showing up?
After the first patch, I ran into them often and early in every run.
They’d addressed a low spawn rate by making them way too common- especially as they often are on a similar level to malformed elites enemies. Running into them in the second room of your run wasn’t a nice experience.
Hopefully they’ve fine tuned the spawn rate with this lot.
Interesting. Thanks for the info!
They didn’t seem to work/turn up at launch but were briefly a lot more common in the patch that got rolled back. So if you didn’t play much during that period you wouldn’t have seen them.
Still no option to save your progress part way through a run I see… :( It’s the only thing that is keeping me from picking up a copy.