Edge Games Loses Court Case Against EA

One for the little guy!

Electronic Arts have emerged victorious from their court battle with Tim Langdell, founder of Edge Games, with a ruling that EA hopes “serves as a milestone in protecting independent developers from nuisance litigation.”

In this case, Langdell and Edge Games took exception to EA’s 2008 title Mirror’s Edge. Court documents from the case have been revealed to IndustryGamers.com, who have reported the following:

The court has denied Edge Games’ motion for injunction, citing that it believes that Langdell made fraudulent statements to the US Patent and Trademark Office and strongly believes that Langdell is “suspect,” and has been “trolling” the game industry for licensing opportunities. His actions could possibly warrant “criminal penalties.”

Langdell has earned himself something of a reputation in recent years for bringing independent developers to court for using the term ‘Edge’ in their titles as an infringement on his trademark. One such example was the case of Mobigame’s award-winning iPhone game Edge being removed from the AppStore following ‘legal issues’ with Langdell. We recommend taking a look at this for a rather excellent summary of events if you are unfamiliar with the story.

For an industry giant like EA this is a fairly small issue but it is a massive win for independent developers. On one hand, companies are certainly entitled to protect their copyright but on the other, nuisance cases can ruin smaller companies who simply don’t have the experience, representation or money to defend themselves and their IP.

It’s also pretty cool that a court used “trolling” in an official ruling.

Source: IndustryGamers, via: videogamer

1. Tuffcub
    On the naughty step.

Love it that a judge knows the correct use of “trolling”

Comment posted on 05/10/2010 at 12:47.
    • SonOfAPeeg
      Since: Nov 2008

“Trolling” has a fairly particular meaning in the context of intellectual property law – essentially it means the registration of some form of IP without any intention of actually exploiting it, and then sitting like a troll under a bridge waiting for the trip-trap-trip-trap of some poor billy-goat who might be construed as infringing your IP. Normally used in the context of “patent trolls”, although I guess in this instance I guess we have a “trademark troll”! Funny, that, because in the US (unlike in the UK or European Community) I seem to recall trade mark registrations are subject to revocation unless you actually, demonstrably are using them for the goods or services in respect of which they are registered. So I reckon Langdell has been making the requisite “I’ve been using the mark, honest” statements to the USPTO and telling porkies.

Comment posted on 05/10/2010 at 18:24.
  2. mcduff1979

mirrors edge is a much forgotten but very fun game… i still enjoy playing it now

Comment posted on 05/10/2010 at 12:49.
  3. DeathByNumbers

Reminds me of the time I took Noah and The Whale to court for using my name as the title of a song.

Comment posted on 05/10/2010 at 13:00.
    • BlackWidowShirt
      Banned
      Since: Apr 2010

This comment is hidden.

Comment posted on 06/10/2010 at 12:22.
  4. djdustb
    Since: Nov 2008

Wow this Langdell fella seems a bit of a dick.

Comment posted on 05/10/2010 at 13:00.
  5. bigdon23
    Since: Jul 2010

Wow its a strange world when people actually agree with EA

*Head Explodes*

Comment posted on 05/10/2010 at 13:02.
    • hazelam

yeah, what kind of douchebag do you have to be to see people happy when ea win a court case against you?

kinda reminds me of the time koticks own lawyers sued him.

Comment posted on 05/10/2010 at 17:08.
      • hazelam

sued kotick that is, not this other guy.

Comment posted on 05/10/2010 at 17:09.
  6. Apnomis
    Since: Sep 2009

Good, if there’s one thing I hate it’s companies that make a living from suing genuine companies for daft legal loopholes and infringements.

I can’t believe the term ‘trolling’ has been used in an official court ruling though! It always reminds me of Bill & Ted when I see internet terms and slang words used in an official context or by someone you would not expect to use such terms!

Comment posted on 05/10/2010 at 13:04.
  7. FluBBa

Langdell is certainly a dick, after EA didn’t want to pay him for using the Mirrors Edge name he promptly started to build a “game” called Mirrors by Edge.
    It’s because of him Soul Edge was renamed Soul Calibur in the West.
    I’m really glad EA took the guy on in court.

Comment posted on 05/10/2010 at 13:18.
  8. mcduff1979

it still amazes me the amount of hate towards EA… they are responsible for some crap ill agree but mostly their game out put has to be played in totality far more than any other studio/developer/publisher

Comment posted on 05/10/2010 at 13:29.
    • yogdog
      Since: Feb 2010

I used to hate EA but the quality of their recent titles (mostly) has changed my view of them.

Comment posted on 05/10/2010 at 14:42.
  9. TSBonyman

What a tool! These ‘patent-trollers’ are digusting leeches.

Comment posted on 05/10/2010 at 13:30.
  10. Thechunkymunky
    Since: Oct 2009

I don’t like it when people try and rip other people. They’re right idiots.
    Oh, unless you’ve already heard. Rockstar won damages against the Daily Star!

Comment posted on 05/10/2010 at 14:14.