Kinect Star Wars For Christmas 2011

Kudo Tsunoda reveals date.

I’ve already seen a couple of pictures of fat blokes looking terribly out of breath posted to my Facebook feed so it can only mean one thing – Happy Kinect Day!

The PR machine is running at full power, and Kinect’s creative director, Kudo Tsunoda, has been speaking to Radio One’s Newsbeat show. Apart from revealing he’s a bit of a softy and his favourite Kinect game is Kinectimals he also says,

We have a Kinect Star Wars game coming out for next holiday [Christmas 2011].

The PlayStation Move is competing for gamers’ cash this Christmas I think you could just easily imagine being a Jedi and using Kinect to make you feel you’re part of a Star Wars experience, building yourself up into a Jedi. I’ve seen a bunch of the game and it’s super compelling.

And another one next year is Forza, which is the best racing game of this generation of consoles… Those are the two games I’m most excited about.

Tsunoda is also asked if he sees PlayStation Move as a rival to which he replies: ‘I’m not hung up on comparing and contrasting us to any other company’s experience,’ and enthuses that Kinect allows them to ‘take any subtle motion and translate it instantly into something a character does on screen.’

Call me a grumpy old codger but I’ve yet to see anything ‘subtle’ about people playing Kinect. It does involving flinging various body parts around, however. To me, subtle would be sitting down after dinner with a glass of brandy, a nice cigar and imperceptibly raising my eyebrow which Kinect would recognise as ‘quietly load up Halo: Reach.’

We’ll have our own thoughts on Kinect later today…

Source: Radio One Newsbeat

Read more: # #
  1. Bilbo_bobbins

The Star Wars addition would be good for Kinect I reckon. Forza though, well I’ve seen people playing that on Kinect and it looked terrible.

Comment posted on 10/11/2010 at 10:16.
  2. eirekun
    Since: Sep 2009

I think ‘super-compelling’ might be code for ‘propelling on rails’. Anyway, he lost me at Forza “the best racing game of this generation of consoles”.

Comment posted on 10/11/2010 at 10:24.
    • sesameseed
      Since: Mar 2009

That’s because he won’t “compare and contrast” it to you know which driving game

Comment posted on 10/11/2010 at 10:56.
  3. JesseDeya
    Since: Jan 2010

Let me get this straight because right now Kudosan’s comments seem pretty full of fail.

1. Kinect Star wars is coming out Christmas 2011 (13 months away).
    2. Move is competing for gamers cash this Christmas (1 month away).
    3. Imagine being a Jedi with Kinect, because let’s face it, it’s 13 months away from release so pretendyland is the best you’ll get for a while.

Say what?

He then goes on to make a claim about Forza which I can only assume could not have been made with a straight face *cough* GT5 *cough*. Perhaps he just consumed too much of Tuffcub’s brandy?

Comment posted on 10/11/2010 at 10:29.
  4. Soild_Nat
    Since: Apr 2009

Bet a Star Wars game comes out on the PS3 with a lightsaber attachment for the Move controller, i know which one i would rather play.

Comment posted on 10/11/2010 at 10:34.
    • DrNate86
      Since: Apr 2010

The Move controller is pretty much a stubby lightsabre anyway! I really hope the PS3 gets a decent Star Wars game for the Move, it is really all anyone has asked for since the Wii first came out.

Comment posted on 10/11/2010 at 10:50.
      • linkavich

i know after i was left with a bitter red steel taste all i wanted was a star wars game, i never did find it and i sold my wii

Comment posted on 10/11/2010 at 15:16.
    • GTRsannin
      Since: Nov 2010

Yeah cause the Move already looks like the handle part of a light saber and let me ques they are going to sell this game with a light saber for the kinect great more stuff to trip over in peoples homes

Comment posted on 10/11/2010 at 12:28.
    • Apnomis
      Since: Sep 2009

I agree, I’ve always struggled with why they think Star Wars on Kinect will be such a good fit when the Move looks virtually made for a Star Wars Light Sabre game! Presumably though Lucas Arts have been on the receiving end of the Microsoft cheque book to ensure that doesn’t happen until at least 2012…

I saw an ad in the paper today from PC World for Kinect with 3 games (1 being the one you get anyway) for £189.99 – I wondered how many people who saw that assumed that Kinect is actually a new console given that you can get a Red Wii and 3 games for around £150 at the moment!

Comment posted on 10/11/2010 at 18:24.
  5. Watchful
    Team TSA: Writer
    Since: Oct 2008

Forza Kinect Edition, accelerate for you it will. Wait for decent games you must.

Comment posted on 10/11/2010 at 10:40.
    • Foxhound_Solid
      Is a smart cookie.

ha ha ha – love it!

Comment posted on 10/11/2010 at 10:43.
    • Porcupine_I

bruahahahaa!

Comment posted on 10/11/2010 at 10:58.
      • Bilbo_bobbins

muahahahahaaaa! excellent.

Comment posted on 10/11/2010 at 11:30.
  6. Foxhound_Solid
    Is a smart cookie.

Move will be aweseom for Star Wars…Whhoomm Whoooomm

Kinect with a rolling pin wont…

I have turned Radio 1 off at work as its like a Microsoft Advertising Loop!

Comment posted on 10/11/2010 at 10:42.
  7. Charmed_Fanatic

Id rather have it for MOVE! Cant wait for when they release this game, maybe around the same time and see who wins ;)

Comment posted on 10/11/2010 at 10:51.
  8. kivi95
    Since: Oct 2009

saw the star wars game on E3 and it must be on of the worst looking Star Wars game i ever seen.

Comment posted on 10/11/2010 at 10:52.
  9. Squalje
    Since: Jan 2010

Love the last line Tuffcub “To me, subtle would be sitting down after dinner with a glass of brandy, a nice cigar and imperceptibly raising my eyebrow which Kinect would recognise as ‘quietly load up Halo: Reach.’”.

Comment posted on 10/11/2010 at 11:05.
    • linkavich

i totally love the idea of smoking jacketed man/woman saying this but replacing xbox play halo with, jeeves play halo

Comment posted on 10/11/2010 at 15:18.
  10. rainydays458
    Since: Aug 2010

Since star wars games are usually quite long, except for the latest edition. Will Kinect users have to walk for miles or just auto-walk everywhere. Also I can’t see how rpg style games like this will hit off due to this.

Comment posted on 10/11/2010 at 11:14.