Massive EA Server Shut-Down Incoming

Pulling the plug.

We’ve just caught word that EA is planning another massive server shut-down, which will affect many titles across most platforms. While it’s very easy to assume that this is screwing a lot of gamers out of on-line play, EA swears this is not the case.  Here’s what they had to say about it:

Our licensing deal with Middle-earth Enterprises has expired, forcing us to shutdown the online services for The Lord of the Rings™ games. We hope you have enjoyed playing these games online and appreciate your patronage. There’s still time for one last epic tower rush!

As background information, the EA SPORTS™ games scheduled for shutdown in February and March 2011 represent roughly 1% of all peak online players across all EA titles. Despite some people’s perception, there is a lot of behind-the-scenes work involved with keeping these older games up and running. We would rather our hard-working engineering and IT staff focus on keeping a positive experience for the other 99% of customers playing our more popular games. These decisions to retire games is never easy. The development teams and operational staff pour their hearts into these games almost as much as the customers playing them and it is hard to see one retired. We hope you have gotten many hours of enjoyment out of the games and we appreciate your ongoing patronage.

This movement starts on January 11 and continues through March 1.  You can find the full list of games affected, below.

Mar 1, 2011 Online Service Shutdown

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 09 for Wii

Feb 8, 2011 Online Service Shutdown

FIFA 07 for Xbox 360
FIFA 08 for PlayStation Portable, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii
FIFA 09 for PC, PlayStation Portable, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii
FIFA 09 Ultimate Team for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
FIFA Street 3 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
EA SPORTS™ FIFA Manager 10 for PC
EA SPORTS™ Fight Night Round 3 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
Madden 09 for PlayStation Portable (all regions), PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii
Madden 10 for PlayStation Portable (all regions), PlayStation 2 and Wii
2010 FIFA World Cup™ for PlayStation Portable and Wii
2010 FIFA World Cup™ Demo for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

Jan 17, 2011 Online Service Shutdown

The Sims Carnival

Jan 11, 2011 Online Service Shutdown

The Lord of the Rings™, The Battle for Middle-earth™ II for Xbox 360
The Lord of the Rings™, The Battle for Middle-earth™ II, The Rise of the Witch-king™ for Xbox 360

Source: Official EA Website

1. cc_star
    Team TSA: Writer

RIP FIFA ’09
    Sept ’08 – Jan ’10

You were a generational leap above every football that had gone before.

Comment posted on 05/01/2011 at 10:33.
    • ARUMIR

It wasn’t the best football game but is was the right path Fifa 09 changed things.. (then 10, then 11… (I think?))

R.I.P Fifa 08

Comment posted on 05/01/2011 at 11:20.
  2. SpikeyMikey23

I only own 2 of those, Fight Night 3 and Fifa 09. dont play either of em anymore. should really sell them, but im a hoarder

Comment posted on 05/01/2011 at 10:35.
    • Echo

If you’ve waited this long, you might as well keep them. You likely won’t be able to fetch anything for them. Nothing depreciates faster than sports games.

Comment posted on 05/01/2011 at 10:38.
    • SpikeyMikey23

aye, i have no intention of selling them. i should have sold 9 when i bought 10

Comment posted on 05/01/2011 at 10:55.
      • Origami Killer

ive got fight night round 3, came with my ps3 in 2007, its a good game, not to bothered about servers shutting down as i dont play it now, always a gd game to kepp though

Comment posted on 05/01/2011 at 13:33.
  3. gazzagb
    Master of speling mitakse

Luckily none of those affect me, but I’m surprised that there’s some recent games being pulled like FIFA Manager and Madden 10 for PSP, PS2 Wii.

Comment posted on 05/01/2011 at 10:39.
    • mrfodder

Even more so the 2010 Fifa World Cup games for PSP and Wii. These games are less than a year old. Don’t care if no many are using them, the people who bought them are entitled to longer support than that.

Comment posted on 05/01/2011 at 11:07.
  4. DrNate86
    Since: Apr 2010

I think its fair enough, they can’t support a game forever and those titles are going to have a tiny following now.

Comment posted on 05/01/2011 at 11:01.
    • cc_star
      Team TSA: Writer

True, but as pointed out above 2010 FIFA World Cup on PSP & Wii are less year old… If I owned them I’d flip my lid.

Servers should be active for a min of 2 years (unless no one is playing them)… Although you can still probably buy these new in shops

Comment posted on 05/01/2011 at 11:20.
      • DrNate86
        Since: Apr 2010

Yeah that’s fair enough, those are a bit new! They must not have a large following though to be within the 1% of total players.

Comment posted on 05/01/2011 at 11:33.
      • TheLig
        Causing trouble is my business and business is good

TBH this doesn’t surprise me. The game itself is a bit of a one shot deal to play during/around the tournament. Any FIFA fans will have dropped it the second 10 came out. I think its worth about 50p trade in. Add to that the fact that the Wii and psp versions will have sold far fewer and have a tiny online community, I can’t knock EA for that decision.

Comment posted on 05/01/2011 at 12:51.
  5. Zephyre

PS2 online play? Really? I did play a few games online with my PS2, but it was such a faff I’m suprised anyone had the patience to play games regularly with it. Did the later models ship with ethernet ports built in?

Comment posted on 05/01/2011 at 11:42.
    • SpikeyMikey23

pretty sure the slims had it built in… didnt they? I never went online with my ps2

Comment posted on 05/01/2011 at 11:44.
      • ARUMIR Sympozium

They did, I using my cousins but wasn’t connected shame because I was excited about updating Action Replay Max haha

Comment posted on 05/01/2011 at 11:47.
      • Grey_Ghost13

Slims had them, first taster online with a console was Burnout online with my PS2! Good times….

Comment posted on 05/01/2011 at 11:55.
      • tonycawley
        Pint! Pint!

I used to play a lot of ps2 online. Battlefield modern combat and tiger woods were the main ones. Many many hour spent on those.

Comment posted on 05/01/2011 at 13:03.
    • Charmed_Fanatic

Same, really want too, just never bothered with what you had to do, thank god the PS3 is very simple

Comment posted on 05/01/2011 at 11:55.
  6. Topov81
    Since: Sep 2008

I don’t mind losing the ability to play others online, but it’s a shame to lose the Ultimate Team feature completely from FIFA 09 (and presumably 10 next year).

People have spent a lot of money buying card packs to build up their team… they should issue a patch to allow them to continue to use the offline mode.

Comment posted on 05/01/2011 at 12:28.
  7. hol
    Since: Oct 2009

Oh well, as long as the burnout paradise servers stay up. ;) guess no online game can live forever?

Comment posted on 05/01/2011 at 12:36.
    • BrendanCalls
      Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc - YOHIMBÉ!!!

They will be up for years to come I reckon, at least a couple of years after the release of the next Burnout

Comment posted on 05/01/2011 at 12:51.
  8. hol
    Since: Oct 2009

Comment posted on 05/01/2011 at 12:36.
    • icuyesido
      Since: Jan 2010

When EA want to take the Burnout servers down, I’ll pay, I have to have that games online.

Comment posted on 05/01/2011 at 13:35.
  9. JoshHood
    Small briefcase w*nker

I’m glad Need for Speed Undercover is still running; I only have one trophy left, and it’s an online one, there just never seems to be anyone online!

Comment posted on 05/01/2011 at 12:52.
  10. Peter Rushton
    Since: Aug 2010

I want to get battle for middle earth, guess i cant get it on xbox, pc is well… :\

Comment posted on 05/01/2011 at 16:14.