iPhone Game Of The Week: Pocket HalfPipe

Heaven.

NaffRobot’s love letter to California Games came as something of a surprise; a pleasant one, but slightly out of the blue. Indeed, in an increasingly crowded market of iPhone games on the App Store the true gems are becoming evermore tricky to uncover, but by chance Pocket HalfPipe reared its head this week and I’m glad it did: it’s brilliant.

The simple skateboarding game presents you with the eponymous collection of plywood and tasks you with the job of pushing, spinning, grabbing and flipping with just two on-screen buttons and an intuitive, friendly tilt mechanic. The whole thing couldn’t be simpler, really – there’s a button for your feet and one for your hand – the former button handles flips (hold the button and swipe outwards) and the latter does grabs, which work the same way.

Likewise, the tilt controls handle your character’s twists and spins, and is automatically calibrated when you tap the ‘foot’ button to start your run – a clever idea that really should be used in all such games and it’s baffling to think that, personally at least, this is the first time I’ve seen this happen.

Progress through the game’s modes is handled with points, and there’s a free skate, a 30 second mode, an initially locked ‘big air’ mode and a survival mode to keep things fresh, plus there’s the option to unlock new boards and other goodies, all coupled with GameCenter compatibility and Retina visuals for iPhone 4 users.

I’m impressed. Pocket HalfPipe is a great deal of fun for skating fans, and it’s a nicely produced, competent game that offers a nice diversion. There’s a learning curve, sure, but the game lets you play at your own pace and seems to constantly reward you along the way. Sometimes it’s the simplest ideas that prove to be the best, and thus Pocket HalfPipe marks our first iPhone game of the week.

The game’s just 59p at the moment and is available by clicking the icon below.

Pocket HalfPipe - NaffRobot

Read more:
  1. kevatron400
    Drake, baby.

Nice visual style, reminds me a little of Grim Fandango.

Comment posted on 14/01/2011 at 13:16.
    • kevatron400
      Drake, baby.

Also, love the OPM reference in the tagline.

Comment posted on 14/01/2011 at 16:38.
  2. Foxhound_Solid
    Is a smart cookie.

Looks Wicked – urt – Wicked – JUNGLE IS MASSIVE.

Shame I lost my effing iPhone 4 this week. No effing shizzle :-(

Comment posted on 14/01/2011 at 13:56.
  3. Jimster71

Whatever happened to AppTilt? I used to base a lot of my iPhone game purchases on the AppTilt reviews.

Comment posted on 14/01/2011 at 14:20.
    • ico
      Since: Aug 2010

Jimster – isn’t this effectively all under the ‘idevice’ menu at top left of TSA homepage menu? Hope this helps (apologies if it doesn’t and you were after something else).

Comment posted on 14/01/2011 at 15:13.
      • Pemberton_
        Since: Nov 2008

Yup, AppTilt reviews now appear directly on TSA. I think.

Comment posted on 14/01/2011 at 16:01.
  4. red_H

I just love the Skateboard culture !! Glad I had a few years on my board back in the day . Love the moves , clothes and music that goes along the the whole SK8 culture. Who here remembers Hocus,Pokus from H-street. Then days I miss

Comment posted on 14/01/2011 at 15:15.
  5. gordon_strange

I was a skater red. H street, Powell peralta, bones brigade, etc etc. Im even bidding on a DVD conversion of useless wooden toys at the moment!

Comment posted on 14/01/2011 at 15:17.
    • red_H

Gordon , can you remember the name of the video which had the bones brigade in the beginning of the movie. I remember Ray Barbee in there , and the start was in black and white.

Love them days Gordon, but my bones are to old now….

Comment posted on 14/01/2011 at 15:53.
      • gordon_strange

public domain ? had some slalom, and freestyle guys in it as well, or future primative? or animal chin? or ban this?
        lol i really want to go out now and shred the streets! oooh just thought, was it propaganda?

Comment posted on 14/01/2011 at 16:45.
  6. gordon_strange

Any chance a direct link could be put up so I can just buy it now via my iPhone? You usually do, and I’m being very very lazy today. So lazy I can’t even be bothered to finis….

Comment posted on 14/01/2011 at 15:18.
    • kevatron400
      Drake, baby.

I take it you didn’t read the “The game’s just 59p at the moment and is available by clicking the icon below.” bit?

Comment posted on 14/01/2011 at 16:39.
      • gordon_strange

that part isn’t available on the iphone version of the site,hence my comment, but thanks for the sarcasm

Comment posted on 14/01/2011 at 16:49.
  7. tactical20

The old ‘spin 180 kickflip’. My favourite of all the skateboarding maneuvers.

:-(

Comment posted on 14/01/2011 at 18:12.
  8. l C0D3 M0NK3Y l
    Since: Dec 2010

Looks like fun… might have to check it out later tonight. :)

Comment posted on 14/01/2011 at 18:28.