Sony: No PS4 At The Moment, Analysts Disagree

Someone is wrong.

Sony Computer Entertainment CEO Jim Ryan has dismissed rumours that the console giant is about to unleash the PlayStation 4.

CVG spoke to the new boss about the mythical console;

All I’m focused on right now is making the most of PS3,” he said. “We’ve over 50 million PS2’s installed across our PAL territory, and as you’ve heard yesterday we’re up to 22 [million] on PS3, so there is a long way to go. That’s all we need to focus on for now.

However, some market analysts have noted that Sony always drop the price of their current console before launching a new one. The PS2 had a huge price drop just before the launch of the PlayStation 3 and the ‘fat’ PS3s received a discount just before the launch of the PS3 Slim.

The analysts have speculated that as Sony shipped 25% less consoles in Q2 2011 compared to 2010, the company have decided to ‘cut its losses’ and move on to the PS4.

Source: CVG / IB Times

Read more: # #
  1. Mike
    Since: Oct 2008

I’ll hedge my bets on next year (possibly late on in the year)

Comment posted on 17/08/2011 at 20:21.
  2. MrSpeedyGonzales
    Since: Jun 2010

Even if it is released I’m going to wait till they release the “slim” version. I would never be able to afford it until then anyway.

Comment posted on 17/08/2011 at 20:24.
    • cc_star
      Team TSA: Writer

Me too

2nd SKU’s all the way for me, more reliable, cheaper & a back catalogue of games

Comment posted on 17/08/2011 at 20:27.
      • KeRaSh

Problem with the PS3 Slim is, that it looks like a cheap toy compared to the shiny black model. It’s the only reason why I’m hoping that my 80 GB PS3 survives until the PS4 arrives. Worst design choice ever (matte skin), in my opinion.

Comment posted on 17/08/2011 at 21:46.
  3. Flash

Next year is the PS3’s 6th anniversary. There were 6 years between the PS1 and PS2, and then the PS2 and the PS3. Next year is also GTA’s 15th anniversary, and with the ever-growing speculation about GTA V, I wonder what the odds are on an October release for the PS4, with GTA V being a launch title.

Comment posted on 17/08/2011 at 20:26.
    • fattyuk
      Since: Apr 2010

10000/1

The lifespans between each console is different on quality and of what the product can achieve compared to the ps3 because This is still our 1st gen of online gaming at the end of the day, they need to milk this while they can and IMO the past 12 months have only just started to show what we can gain out of our ps3 and there’s still more to come!. Why ruin that and start with the ps4, when the ps3 starts to dip in sales and products then well hear about the ps4.

Comment posted on 17/08/2011 at 20:53.
      • cam the man

I agree. I hope the PS4 is at least 2 years away, I’m quite happy sticking with the PS3 for a good while yet.

Comment posted on 17/08/2011 at 22:09.
  4. Mason_Mk
    Since: Feb 2010

It’s just another price cut, nothing fishy to see here. The fat PS3 cut was to clear stock for the new model. Same thing with the PS1.

Comment posted on 17/08/2011 at 20:27.
    • Flash

You just challenged your own point lol?

Comment posted on 17/08/2011 at 20:29.
      • Mason_Mk
        Since: Feb 2010

*of the same model, not a brand new console

Comment posted on 17/08/2011 at 20:47.
  5. gideon1451

What happened to the PS3 being a ten year plan then?

Comment posted on 17/08/2011 at 20:28.
    • cc_star
      Team TSA: Writer

Same as the PS2, half it’s life (could) be with a successor on the shelves

Comment posted on 17/08/2011 at 20:38.
      • fattyuk
        Since: Apr 2010

Could be longer as people can gain more due to the online aspect of the ps3.

Comment posted on 17/08/2011 at 20:55.
  6. aerobes

I’ll be genuinely surprised if it surfaces next year.

Having just bought my 5th unit, I’m content with PS3 for a while yet. Graphics are for the most part excellent and a world away from what I played as a child and I don’t for-see any radical changes into the way we play. They should just concentrate on what they’ve got – PSN, Move, Vita and focus on bringing the consumer top-notch titles, new IP and great exclusives. I really don’t feel like a new machine is needed for at least 3 – 4 years.

Comment posted on 17/08/2011 at 20:29.
    • TSBonyman

I also expect to be using mine for another few years at least… so long as i don’t suffer ylod the day before PS4 launches *touch wood* ;)
      I think the price drop will allow Sony to expand their PS3 user-base and also their Move user-base as bundle prices will also drop – and a larger PS3 user-base surely means more potential Vita adopters.

Comment posted on 17/08/2011 at 22:24.
      • xdarkmagician

The day before the PS4 ships we’ll get a firmware update for the PS3. I can see the headlines already… millions of PS3s brick- Sony denies that firmware update is to blame, but wants to remind PS3 owners PS4 on sale today. lol

Comment posted on 18/08/2011 at 03:37.
  7. colmshan1990
    Since: Apr 2009

As great as a PS4 would (presumably) be, there’s no way any mere mortal could afford it, I reckon.
    Next year will be all about the Vita, but we might see a reveal late next year I suppose.

Comment posted on 17/08/2011 at 20:30.
  8. Peter Rushton
    Since: Aug 2010

Think Sony will be prepared to announce the PS4 next year depending on the other market sharers, probably will wait a year for the PS vita to gain sells!

Comment posted on 17/08/2011 at 20:35.
  9. The Lone Steven
    Never heard of him.

Seeing as the PS3 is nearly 6 or 7 years old. I can see Sony annoucing the PS4 in the next few years. But the PS3 is at it’s prime atm so it would be a bit foolish to focus on the PS4 as that would distract a majority of gamers from the PS3 and a lot of devs as well.

I think 2014-15 is when we see the release of the PS4.

Comment posted on 17/08/2011 at 20:40.
    • fattyuk
      Since: Apr 2010

3+ years sounds a good guesstimate as you say the ps3 is just getting into it’s prime and personally who would actually look at a ps4 today when the ps3 is stronger than ever!? With still alot more to come IMO.

Comment posted on 17/08/2011 at 20:58.
  10. Lymmusic
    Since: Mar 2010

Ten year life cycle includes the last 3 years where there has historically been next gen cross over… I’d expect all three players to have next gen consoles out by 2012/2013, wii u, next ms console, then ps4… At the minute the market isn’t clear enough to justify a large shift away from optical storage, sony aren’t likely to want to kill off bluray but ms aren’t likely to adopt it as it woukd look like they have arrived a generation behind ps3…

Comment posted on 17/08/2011 at 20:46.