Opinion

Steve Jobs Passes Away

RIP.

Steve Jobs, 1955 - 2011.
The term ‘hero’ in photography is commonly used to highlight the main image on a canvas – the hero image.  The single shot of Steve Jobs on the Apple website is named t_hero.png – I like to think there’s another reason for that filename.

This evening Apple confirmed that the visionary man behind the company has passed away.  I don’t normally do sentiment, I’m normally too wrapped up in my own concerns and worries to really spend time on others, but something hit me when I heard the news.

I’ve used a Mac since leaving school, introduced to one at my first design agency, but remember an old colleague running a Mac emulator through an Amiga years before that, in black and white.  That’s how important they were back then, and that notion hasn’t changed a bit – I still use one for my job today.

Now, of course, the legacy that Steve Jobs leaves behind stretches much further than anyone but him ever imagined.  He made computing accessible, friendly, intuitive, and he brought the world the iPod, quite probably one of man’s greatest ever feats of engineering and design.

And – as the figures clearly show – he changed the shape of mobile gaming forever with the iPhone.

There’s a strange, empty feeling inside me.  I didn’t know the man personally, but I’ve used his ideas, projections and – yes – products for most of my adult life.  Some scoff at Apple, the brand, the devices, but they’ve only ever had a positive impact on my life.

If that was Jobs’ only desire, as with everything else he did, he succeeded.

1. Deathbrin

R.I.P. Steve.

Comment posted on 06/10/2011 at 01:23.
  2. Mikiyaru

Hero. Legend. Idol. He changed the world, and he will never be forgotten.

Comment posted on 06/10/2011 at 01:25.
  3. HoboCastro
    Since: Mar 2010

As much as I never got the Apple hype. Steve Jobs at its helm truly changed to way we interact with technology. Will be missed, RIP.

Comment posted on 06/10/2011 at 01:25.
  4. nemesisND1derboy
    Since: Apr 2010

It’s hard to even equate through words what he has achieved. The man is a legend, he changed the world for the better. A true visionary, a genius and a legend.

I’m not the type to get choked up when someone famous has passed away, but fuck I’m in bits now. You don’t need to know the man to look at what he has done in awe and feel completely humbled.

The world has lost a fantastic human being today, the likes of whom we may never see again.

RIP Steve.

Comment posted on 06/10/2011 at 01:27.
  5. skibadee
    Since: Oct 2009

R.I.P. Steve Jobs made Apple in to a major company again.

Comment posted on 06/10/2011 at 01:28.
  6. C_S15

The world has lost a true great. So long, Steve.

Comment posted on 06/10/2011 at 01:33.
  7. GameBoss01
    Since: Sep 2009

This man was a true visionary and a world changer. He pushed the likes of giants and made it to the top. RIP

Comment posted on 06/10/2011 at 01:38.
  8. quinkill
    Since: Oct 2010

Rest in Peace, Steve. You’ve changed the world for the better.

Comment posted on 06/10/2011 at 01:39.
  9. aerobes

Agree with all sentiments here and nofi’s impactful words. Rest in peace, Steve. The technological world has been altered for the better by your existence and your legacy will last forever.

Comment posted on 06/10/2011 at 01:44.
  10. Gamoc

This is a man who only stepped down from running his own company less than two months ago.

Says a lot about what a great man he was, if you ask me.

Comment posted on 06/10/2011 at 01:46.