Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II Unveiled

The return of Metal Sonic and Tails.

Finally. Sega has officially unveiled Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II. Not much has been revealed yet, but a few juicy details have been announced.

Sonic 4: Episode II features the rebirth of Metal Sonic and the return of Tails. Most importantly, the game has an all new graphics and physics engine. According to Ken Balough from Sega, you don’t have to worry about Sonic sticking to walls anymore and he’ll stay in a ball after rolling up a hill. It sounds promising so far.

It’s unknown which engine Sega is using for Episode II. The latest version of Sonic CD was powered by Christian Whitehead’s Retro Engine and that was easily the best port of any Sonic game ever released. It would be great if Sega opted to use it again, but we’ll just have to wait and see.

You can expect Sonic 4: Episode II to release sometime in 2012 for the Xbox 360, PS3, Android, Windows 7 Phone, and iOS. It doesn’t seem like Wii owners are getting any love this time.

Source: Gamespot

1. Crocadillian
    Since: Feb 2011

Sonic to me seems like trying to maintain a long-distance relationship. After several years, a part of you still loves it, and you remember the good times, but you have to move on :c.

Comment posted on 29/12/2011 at 19:55.
  2. jonny_bolton
    Chooses The Impossible
    Since: Oct 2008

Why didn’t you mention his beard/moustache!? That’s the best thing!

Also, I’m wondering if Sonic stops dead in the air when you jump like he does in 4. He always continued to move in the old ones if you let go of the direction.

Comment posted on 29/12/2011 at 20:07.
    • Yahavage
      Since: Apr 2010

I’m hoping when they say they have a new engine, this will be fixed. I found it really, really, really annoying, and couldn’t get into the game. It just didn’t have any of the fluidity of the older games :/

Comment posted on 31/12/2011 at 10:36.
  3. BigCheese

I couldn’t stand the first part, so I won’t be making another mistake with this. That beard is epic, however.

Comment posted on 29/12/2011 at 20:13.
  4. Jakster123x
    Since: Aug 2011

Ah, bout time

Comment posted on 29/12/2011 at 20:25.
  5. hunterstryfe

I can’t wait!!!! I don’t care how bad ep 1 was. If they stick to what tails beardy man says in the vid I’ll be happy.

Comment posted on 29/12/2011 at 21:24.
    • bajere

ep 1 was okay, not ground breaking, but then its a game that is very old… i still have my Mega Drive version, and the two are basically the same. I think Sonic games are what they are, simple quick action games. No matter what skin they put on it, the game will always be the same IMO. (which is not a bad thing)

Comment posted on 30/12/2011 at 12:03.
  6. colmshan1990
    Since: Apr 2009

YAY!
    Loved the first one. Mightn’t be as good as the original games, but still a fine game.

Comment posted on 29/12/2011 at 22:52.
  7. Sympozium

Yes! so far there a glimmer of hope….

Comment posted on 29/12/2011 at 23:01.
  8. sparkyscrum
    Since: May 2011

Hopefully they will improve on a half decent Episode I. Looking forward to a proper trailer tho.

I’m glad that they have stopped supporting the Wii as the fixed limit on Wiiware titles meant E1 wasn’t as good as it could have been. Now free to be a bigger and hopefully better file size.

Still like to see the game put on the Vita too. Not like it isn’t capable of playing games like this.

Comment posted on 29/12/2011 at 23:05.
  9. hazelam

how long ago was the first one?

they share Valve’s idea of episodic gaming or something? ^_^

anyway, i didn’t like the way Sonic handled in episode 1, so unless they’ve fixed that i can’t see my buying this.
    and if what i played in the sonic generations demo is an example of how sega think a Sonic game should handle then i don’t think i’ll enjoy it.

but i’ll give the demo a try anyway.

Comment posted on 29/12/2011 at 23:17.
  10. cc_star
    Team TSA: Writer

Liked Sonic4 Ep1
    But I found the swinging from vines ruined the game & the some spots of the level where it featured impassable

Not sure why SEGA don’t get nobody wants the bells & whistles they just want Sonic, they want him mute & they want him in new locations & new levels, all the fluff ruins Sonic.

Comment posted on 30/12/2011 at 00:06.