You

WeView Verdict: Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Charting your opinions.

I was hardly surprised when I start picking through the comments on this week’s WeView, it hardly seemed likely that Uncharted 3 was going to get ripped to shreds by the community. I mean even I’m happy to admit that whilst I didn’t think Uncharted 3 was all that brilliant, it’s hardly a bad game.

I suppose the issue I really had with it came from playing all three games in the trilogy in very quick succession, probably completing all three within a month. To me it just didn’t really feel like it built all that significantly on the first two games, and that was something that was picked up by a very significant chunk of those who took part.

“The leap between uncharted 1 & 2 was vast,” began Omac_brother, before narrowing in on specifics. “The set pieces and combat were greatly improved, the story still enthralling and the characters developed further.” A fair point, it’s hard to argue that Uncharted 2 wasn’t a huge step up on the first game. However, it’s then that he turns his attention to the third game.

Uncharted 3 may not have lived up to its big brothers, but moments like this were still impressive.
“When this same leap forward wasnt prominent between 2 & 3, the series started to feel a bit repetitive.” That pretty much nails down one of the problems with playing all of the Uncharted titles close together, there just didn’t feel like there was the same leap when moving on to the third title.

Jacko went much further than Omac_brother, seemingly really disliking the game. He called it “Easily the worst of the series,” before moving on to state that “The story was rubbish, and nothing “wowed” me like the other games.” That does perhaps seem a little harsh on the game, but I can’t help but agree with the general sentiment.

However, even many of you who felt the game didn’t quite live up to the promise of its older brothers had something positive to say about it. Unterred thought it was a lot less open than Uncharted 2 had been, but still said it was “Well worth the money for the set piece filled forward masterpiece single player that it is.” JohnnyBoy kept things a bit simpler, saying “It’s not the best in the series but you’d be daft not to get it.” Easy advice to follow.

Ultimately blackredyellow summed it all up rather nicely this week, saying “A fantastic game that will always live in the shadow of it’s bigger, more impressionable [sic] brothers.” That really does seem to sum it up nicely.

Now it’s time to turn to the community’s verdict of the game. There was a pretty good turn out this week, with twenty-four of you marking down your verdicts. A single vote went to Avoid It, whilst Rent It picked up three. However, despite peoples reservations about the game when compared to the other Uncharted titles, the winner this week is Buy It with the remaining twenty votes.

Realistically I probably agree. No, it wasn’t my favourite game in the Uncharted series, but it’s certainly worth splashing some cash on.

1. cc_star
    Team TSA: Writer

“it wasn’t my favourite game in the Uncharted series, but it’s certainly worth splashing some cash on.”

I concur.

Comment posted on 19/03/2012 at 14:02.
  2. ashw92
    Since: Aug 2010

I went back and played this again the other day. While it may not be quite as good as 2 it is still an amazing game. And Christ is it pretty. I had forgotten just how amazing the graphics and the animation are.

Comment posted on 19/03/2012 at 14:08.
  3. colmshan1990
    Since: Apr 2009

One thing I have to say on reflection- while it may not have had the wow factor of Uncharted 2, it is probably the best game of the series.
    The gameplay and graphics are certainly better anyways. So is the storytelling, if not the story.
    The story IS a strong one, probably in the top 10 of this generation’s games.

But as Uncharted 2 is regarded as a better game? I think it’s because it had the newness feel that U3 didn’t. If people played Uncharted 3 before Uncharted 2, I reckon we’d all agree on 3 being the best.

All of them are fantastic, in any case.

Comment posted on 19/03/2012 at 14:20.
    • Dr_mohannad

where’s the like button?

Comment posted on 19/03/2012 at 14:46.
      • stonyk

yeah I agree. Its one of the only games where the graphics amaze me with the ability to get me to sit my dad down and say ‘watch this – you’ll be impressed’. I rented this and can’t wait to buy it when it comes down in price to pay it again…and again…and again…

Comment posted on 19/03/2012 at 17:00.
    • Cutter.T

I think we all set our expectations to high, this is also the game that made me realise how much expectations make a difference. Therefore I found Uncharted Golden Abyss more enjoyable than this. However, replaying the game having since played others (like Skyrim), when it comes to graphics, polish and facial animation. I’m still wowed due to the fact I forget how good it looks!

Comment posted on 19/03/2012 at 19:50.
  4. Roynaldo
    Since: Nov 2008

Probably on my own with this but in terms of favouritism my order goes 1,3,2.

Who cares though? They are all fantastic games in their own right.

Comment posted on 19/03/2012 at 14:23.
    • yogdog
      Since: Feb 2010

Is that best to worst, or worst to best?
      Only played a little of 3 but they’re all great games. 2 is the reason I got a PS3 in my bedroom to replace my 360 (which my brother now has).

Comment posted on 19/03/2012 at 14:32.
      • Roynaldo
        Since: Nov 2008

best to worst.

Comment posted on 19/03/2012 at 14:40.
  5. MrBlack

The 3d was a little disappointing, resolution took a massive hit especially when compared to crysis 2’s 3d. Still an awesome game though.

Comment posted on 19/03/2012 at 15:05.
  6. Deathbrin

Yawn. Can’t really be bothered with more Uncharted. The Vita title looks interesting although they say the touch parts do get in the way.

Comment posted on 19/03/2012 at 15:07.
    • Eldave0
      andUandU

Golden Abyss definitely made up for Uncharted3 (which I agree was boring) but yeah I only found myself playing it through once before getting rid of it.

Comment posted on 19/03/2012 at 15:13.
    • Youles
      Since: Feb 2011

I think the Vita touch-screen implementation is perfect – especially for the climbing, its fantastic!

Comment posted on 19/03/2012 at 15:18.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

But, you can use “normal” controls for climbing if you wish – best of both worlds

Comment posted on 19/03/2012 at 15:19.
      • Eldave0
        andUandU

Agreed. It took a bit of getting used to but I found myself using it on autopilot after a while :) Quite enjoyed the touch-screen puzzles too

Comment posted on 19/03/2012 at 15:19.
      • Origami Killer

I felt Golden Abyss was boring towards the end, felt like it was really dragged out. And the touch screen swipe to save you from falling but so annoying!

Comment posted on 19/03/2012 at 16:48.
    • stage1
      Since: Feb 2012

“Yawn” and “Boring” really??

Comment posted on 19/03/2012 at 15:21.
      • Eldave0
        andUandU

Really (in my opinion of course) :p Yes its filled with impressive looking set pieces but the game just filters you towards each one with very little chance to do any sort of exploring. Couple that with samey combat and no-risk climbing sections and you have the formula for a series thats begging for some new ideas.

Comment posted on 19/03/2012 at 15:24.
  7. hazelam

still haven’t played this one yet, but i want to.

i’m only really interested in the single player though.
    i didn’t enjoy the mutliplayer in the second one, or the beta for this one, not because it was bad, just because it wasn’t my thing.

Comment posted on 19/03/2012 at 15:59.
    • Eldave0
      andUandU

I thoroughly enjoyed the multiplayer at first and played a lot of it during the playstation plus “early access” period. By the time the finished game reached store shelves a week or so later however I had reached level30 (?) and havent touched it since.

Comment posted on 19/03/2012 at 16:15.
      • Bilbo_bobbins

same happened to me, I levelled up and got bored to quickly with it. Shame as it has a lot of potential, but it needs something special to keep me playing.

Comment posted on 19/03/2012 at 17:24.
  8. blackredyellow
    Since: Mar 2009

Oooh my first mention, thanks!

It’s a shame to see that there are people that really didn’t enjoy it, but each to their own I suppose.

Comment posted on 19/03/2012 at 16:50.
  9. ThatMattKid
    Since: Jan 2010

I think Zero punctuation’s review summed it up perfectly.

Comment posted on 19/03/2012 at 17:00.
  10. Foxhound_Solid
    Is a smart cookie.

Love all three games.

Comment posted on 19/03/2012 at 19:30.