PS Vita Firmware 1.66 Now Available

Yeah! Upgrade! Again!

You probably think I’m joking.  I’m not.

The PS Vita has another firmware upgrade available – 1.66 – presumably as a result of the cock-up yesterday with 1.65 which, according to Sony, had some “technical difficulties”.

I’d advise getting this one before it’s pulled, but then again 1.67 might be out tomorrow so perhaps save your bandwidth for that one instead?

I’m kidding.  Love you really, silly update procedure.  <3

Here’s what’s new this time:

• The [System Music] setting in Settings > [Sound & Display] now affects BGM in PS Store, near and Sign-Up screens as well as the Home menu.
  • When searching for location data, users now have the option to ‘Retry’ and ‘Cancel’ when a failure occurs.
  • A progress bar is introduced for application installation.
  • A direct link to PlayStation Store is made available for new applications that users may discover on near.
  • Users can now update data at any time within near, provided they are within the same location.
  • The display time of notification alerts has been reduced from 5 seconds to 3 seconds.
  • Functional improvements have been made in the following games and applications: Unit 13, Gravity Daze, near.
  1. cc_star
    Team TSA: Writer

Think I’ll wait for 1.67 this afternoon

Comment posted on 04/04/2012 at 09:04.
  2. stonyk

I’m desperately awaiting the update to allow ps3 games to be played remote play but I imagine it will be a long time coming. Think I’ll try and wait a while before updating to new firmware. Let everyone else test it out first :-)

Comment posted on 04/04/2012 at 09:09.
    • Youles
      Since: Feb 2011

I agree about waiting but regarding your first sentance, I don’t think this will ever happen, sadly. Developers will make too much money from releasing games on both formats. I’d settle for some PSN games to be played on Vita, be it directly or remotely.

Comment posted on 04/04/2012 at 09:11.
      • Taylor Made
        Since: Oct 2011

It forces you to update when you turn on your ps vita so looks like you shouldn’t turn it on today if you waiting for the review lol

Comment posted on 04/04/2012 at 09:13.
      • KeRaSh

Sadly it’s in the hands of the developers. The closest we can get would be cloud save sharing across a Vita and PS3 version of the same game. I’d love to play some PS3 games on my Vita while the missus occupies the TV… I’m curious if the Wii U manages to deliver this feature through the tablet controller.

Comment posted on 04/04/2012 at 09:35.
    • colmshan1990
      Since: Apr 2009

That update is never coming, because the PS Vita can already do that.
      The developers have to enable the games to allow it though, and there’s not many that have.
      Lair, and the Pixeljunk games are all I can think of at the moment.

Comment posted on 04/04/2012 at 10:42.
      • kruegerman
        Since: Mar 2010

Bejewelled 2 and high stakes poker + most Psone games

Comment posted on 04/04/2012 at 11:08.
      • TSBonyman

And Peggle! :)

Comment posted on 04/04/2012 at 12:33.
  3. Taylor Made
    Since: Oct 2011

yaaay impossible game here I come

Comment posted on 04/04/2012 at 09:11.
  4. Origami Killer

Just updated. Wasn’t forced to, so had to check in settings etc. Should get some of my plus minis on there this afternoon :)

Comment posted on 04/04/2012 at 09:26.
    • cam the man

I had forgotten about that, will be doing the same.

Comment posted on 04/04/2012 at 13:12.
  5. BrendanCalls
    Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc - YOHIMBÉ!!!

Why is it up to 1.66 already, that seems incredibly high for such a new machine

Comment posted on 04/04/2012 at 09:29.
    • Erroneus
      Wanted "Trophy Hunter" but was too late.

Well it did launch earlier in Japan and some features was added and bugs removed for the EU launch.

I wasn’t expecting Sony to release a fixed 1.65 so fast, thumbs up for that.

Comment posted on 04/04/2012 at 09:34.
  6. job
    Since: Jun 2010

excellent , just need sony to sort out the inability to save on sf alpha 3 max and all my games will be playable

Comment posted on 04/04/2012 at 09:34.
  7. bigbaldwolf
    Since: Mar 2012

Updated mine now after 2 attempts. Stupid thing errored the first time it downloaded

Comment posted on 04/04/2012 at 09:54.
  8. Pitcher-T
    Since: Jan 2009

They better not be giving us empty promises with the ps3 remote play feature. I don’t want to be old and frail by the time they decide to give it to us. They hook you in with all the promises in the world :-(

Comment posted on 04/04/2012 at 09:58.
    • stonyk

I agree I would feel ‘burnt’ if this never came. I can’t afford to buy new games all the time so it will sit unloved without something to keep me pickin it up regularly.

Comment posted on 04/04/2012 at 10:02.
    • colmshan1990
      Since: Apr 2009

They didn’t promise it for everything.
      It’s a feature the PS Vita has now, but it’s games which have to be enables to allow it.
      It’s up to developers to do it.
      Some won’t because they can make more money selling PS Vita versions, others won’t because there’d be too much lag making their game seem crap.

Comment posted on 04/04/2012 at 10:44.
  9. Jag

I want to play PS1 games on my Vita, but it looks like its going to be a long wait…

Comment posted on 04/04/2012 at 10:15.
  10. Tanzil
    Since: Mar 2010

roll on the updates. Makes me feel more at home with my Vita

Comment posted on 04/04/2012 at 11:04.