Skyrim 1.5 Patch On PS3 Has Massive Bug

Water load of crap

As I have a few days to myself I thought I would crack on with Skyrim,  it’s just been patched so everything should be fine now, no backwards dragons, no dodgy quests, right?

Wrong.

Turns out that the latest patch on PlayStation 3 has a new bug; When your character enters water the game crashes and it’s time to hold down the power button and reset the console.

Bethesda’s solution: Delete your game data and reinstall the whole package including the updates.

My solution: Swear at Bethesda, throw Skyrim in the bin.

Thanks to gazo69 for the tip.

Source: Bethesda Forums

1. ron_mcphatty
    Since: Sep 2008

Pond-rim?

Comment posted on 08/04/2012 at 22:36.
  2. jamess109
    Since: Apr 2009

just confirms my thoughts on the game… it really is a load of sh*t lmao

Comment posted on 09/04/2012 at 00:14.
  3. John Malcolm
    Since: Apr 2009

This may be childish, but I managed to get my Platinum (187 hours, yes I’m not a great gamer!) before patch 1.5, so I am shocked that this could be done to a game that basically worked for me. I haven’t played it since getting my Plat, however, as I’m waiting for the DLC. One day we’ll learn about Bethesda and the PS3…

Comment posted on 09/04/2012 at 00:49.
  4. aerobes

How did this patch ever get …. do they even test this stuff before they throw it up on the network? That’s pretty major …

Comment posted on 09/04/2012 at 08:23.
  5. Origami Killer

This is shocking. Haven’t played Skyrim for a while and wont do now until this is fixed/

Comment posted on 09/04/2012 at 09:28.
  6. The Lone Steven
    Never heard of him.

So we have a choice between lag and crashes. I’ll pick another game Beth. I know the PS3 doesn’t have much RAM but come on! The Creation engine was supposed to be better then Gamebryo not the same as it’s still has bugs. Granted, not as much as GB.

Didn’t noone think to test this before submitting it to Sony? I’ve coded a program back when i was at college and i had to test it to make sure it worked. I expect developers to do the most basic thing and test it.

If my laptop could run Skyrim, i would get it on PC as chances are most bugs have been patched by beth and the PC community.

Still going to get it on PS3 though, although they had damm well better fix this mess by the time i get it as Crashrim is not very fun.

Comment posted on 09/04/2012 at 11:35.
  7. E8_BALL_
    Since: Jul 2010

Should’ve been spotted, but no biggy, i’ll del and install.
    A pretty damn careless & unprofessional error in the testing dept all the same, being as water transcendence was one of the improvements.

Comment posted on 09/04/2012 at 12:07.
  8. E8_BALL_
    Since: Jul 2010

Granted this was surprisingly not picked up, but saying i wont play it again, or for some time is a bit excessive & only you the user are loosing out.

Comment posted on 09/04/2012 at 12:10.
  9. Kaminari
    Since: Jan 2010

So the patch has been available for 4 days (along with the solution to this bug), and Tuffcub jumps on the trolling bandwagon only now?

Yes, the fix is a bit drastic but it works and more importantly — it gives you the chance to clean the mess left by previous patches. As all Gamebryo based games, Skyrim is heavily suspectible to ESM conflicts which accumulate over time through patches and mods.

I’m the fiercest Bethesda critic (contrary to many unnamed journos who don’t hesitate to throw 10/10 around after a few minutes of game time). Although Skyrim 1.5 doesn’t fix all quest bugs (especially for people with previous saves), the PS3 version is stable and decently smooth.

Comment posted on 09/04/2012 at 12:25.
    • Jones81
      Since: Mar 2010

Have you actually been able to download the patch?, im in the UK and patch still isn’t live yet, was hoping to play it today

Comment posted on 09/04/2012 at 13:04.
      • E8_BALL_
        Since: Jul 2010

im in uk & patch went live 9pm gmt fri .

Comment posted on 09/04/2012 at 13:26.
      • E8_BALL_
        Since: Jul 2010

afterthought… maybe the confusion is every site is calling it 1.5. When i was prompted to dload it fri, ps3 said 1.04 available & after install, game data reads as 2.04.

Comment posted on 09/04/2012 at 13:36.
      • Jones81
        Since: Mar 2010

yeah maybe but I thought 2.5 was the latest and the one you mention is old one although I could well be wrong. I hope it isnt the latest as its still crashing evry 10 mins for me

Comment posted on 09/04/2012 at 13:56.
      • E8_BALL_
        Since: Jul 2010

Well i was definitely up-to-date pre fri evening.
        Was playing just b4 watching big theory(lol) & went to reload during a commercial & prompted to update
        (btw anyone who hasn’t watched bbt, I highly recommend it:)

Comment posted on 09/04/2012 at 15:11.
      • Jones81
        Since: Mar 2010

Thats wierd, I heard a suggestion that maybe it got pulled due to the swimming bug. I def haven’t had a prompt for a new updated yet

Comment posted on 09/04/2012 at 18:00.
    • colmshan1990
      Since: Apr 2009

Seems like somebody’s in a trolling mood today.

If this article hadn’t been written and posted here, I wouldn’t know about the fix to delete the game data. I’d just assume that Skyrim had finally succumbed to the bugs, and my game would be ruined.

So you know what? I don’t particularly care if he’s jumping on the ‘trolling bandwagon’ now.

Comment posted on 09/04/2012 at 13:18.
  10. Pedromr
    Since: Oct 2010

Well, seems it’s almost time to install and play my copy… It’s sitting on a shelf since launch day. Thanks to Demon’s/Dead Souls…

Comment posted on 09/04/2012 at 14:06.