Crytek: Blocking Pre-Owned Games On Next Gen Would Be "Awesome"

...sauce?

Rasmus Hojengaard, Crytek’s director of creative development, has been speaking to CVG regarding the rumours that the next gen consoles would block the use of pre-owned games.

“From a business perspective that would be absolutely awesome. It’s weird that [second-hand] is still allowed because it doesn’t work like that in any other software industries, so it would be great if they could somehow fix that issue as well,” he said.

As Crysis 2 was named the most pirated game of 2011 you can understand why Crytek want to generate extra revenue.

Crysis 2 was downloaded over 4 million times, but  3,920,000 of those downloads were for the PC version, the figures for the Xbox version are not given but are under 700,000 and the PlayStation 3 version did not even register enough downloads to be counted.

Perhaps Crytek are targeting pre-owned gamers to try and recoup some of the money lost to piracy but if pre-owned is blocked on next gen I cant help but think that the number of pirated PC games is only going to rise.

Source: MCV / CVG

1. SH Number 7/Mini-Lipscombe
    Since: May 2011

What a fool. how can he be in the industry and not understand the repercussions of what he just said.

Comment posted on 26/04/2012 at 11:28.
  2. tonycawley
    Pint! Pint!

Surely you guys can see his point though? If I was developing games I’d be pissed if 3 million people played it but I only got paid by 1 million of those people.

There has to be an outcome here that’s good for everyone. Game nearly went out of business due to their obsession with preowned (amongst other things). Developers and publishers don’t like it, and neither would you or I. Developers are going out of business, shutting down, people are losing their jobs, yet if they were making an income from preowned that would help the situation.
    So what can be done? I still think retailers are develoers/publishers need to sit down and work out a model where everyone gets paid fairly.

Comment posted on 26/04/2012 at 11:36.
    • 3shirts

I can see their point but I don’t understand why suddenly they need the money from pre-owned so badly when the industry has risen from disaster in the 80s to being the biggest entertainment industry today, all while a flourishing used market existed.
      As far as I’m concerned, if you can’t make enough money from selling your game new (plus DLC and online passes) you either need to increase the retail price or reduce your costs. This is just trying to make more money without actually doing anything differently.

As far as your last comment goes, I actually do quite like the idea of an industry supported used market. They should put some money into developing a national or international used game network and then people can trade games on there with a small portion going back to the developer.

Comment posted on 26/04/2012 at 11:49.
    • pitbullmern

Been here a while now and dont really say much but felt i had to chime in on this one.

So 3 million played their game but only 1 million brought it. £40 per sale thats 40 million. now if they dropped that price to say £25 per sale new then more would have brought it rather than buying preowned. If the 3 million brought it at the reduced price of £25 they would have received 75 million. Thats an extra 35 million in sales.

If new games were £20 – £25 a time id be more inclined to take a punt on a game than one what costs £40 but they wont drop their prices. They want the 3 million people to pay the £40.

I know my point is very basic and turns the argument that preowned would just be cheaper but its still a valid point. Drop the price and more will buy new and not bother with preowned.

I currently buy preowned and I buy new but I only pay full price if that game is a game i’ve been looking forward to or a game that has received favourable reviews. If the game is mediocre then I may consider buying it when its reduced in price or just buy it preowned.

Lets also look at the price of digital copies on PSN/XBL, some of the games are priced at extortionate amounts for a game that has no box, cover, disc and no costs associated with the distribution of that game. Then they use the excuse that they cant sell for cheaper than in stores ? what a load of crap.

Ive played games for 30 years now (yes i am a grumpy old man) and to be honest all this bullshit is starting to turn me away from gaming on consoles.

Thats probably the longest reply ive ever written here but just needed to vent a little. Thanks

Comment posted on 26/04/2012 at 23:52.
  3. nofi
    One for all.

Crytek’s PR Dept: Blocking Hojengaard from talking would be “Awesome”

Comment posted on 26/04/2012 at 11:39.
    • teflon
      Community Team

Can we get the thumbs up button back so I can thumbs up this comment?

Comment posted on 26/04/2012 at 16:47.
      • skibadee
        Since: Oct 2009

would be kool to get that feature.

Comment posted on 27/04/2012 at 02:23.
  4. wirralsman
    Since: Oct 2010

In a parallel universe the second hand game market has already been shut down. Reports are coming in that it has in fact completely ruined the industry. Everyone owns a copy of COD and FIFA, and by the time they’ve saved up to buy another game, the next COD and FIFA are out

Comment posted on 26/04/2012 at 12:12.
  5. Faulker
    Since: Jun 2010

Pathetic. But hey, one less developer to buy games from, more money for pizza.

Comment posted on 26/04/2012 at 12:28.
  6. deadwelsh

Wouldnt this lead to higher piracy rates????

Comment posted on 26/04/2012 at 12:36.
  7. The Lone Steven
    Never heard of him.

Say goodbye to your profits. And hello to a pissed off gaming audience.

Preowned help to support the industry. Take it away and the entire industry will suffer as a result. I think Fifa wouldn’t be selling as well as it is without trade ins. Same for COD. Oh and Crytek has now made themselves a target for pirating as i bet a lot of pirates will pirate their game in protest of their view on preowned.

Comment posted on 26/04/2012 at 13:12.
  8. Sympozium

I wish he’d read these thread.. maybe to being the guy back to earth, its damaging Crytek’s credabiity within news sites with these freaking statements.

Comment posted on 26/04/2012 at 14:41.
    • Sympozium

…? Wow never noticed the spelling errors. lazyiness >.>
      being > Bring..”threads” oh god..

Comment posted on 26/04/2012 at 14:42.
  9. Forrest_01

Hazels gonna be all over this crap! :D

Comment posted on 26/04/2012 at 15:43.
  10. crazyoaktree

I have been play games since the 80′s. Me and my friends us to borrow each others games all the time because we couldn’t afford to buy every game we fancyed. And now I buy second hand/preowned games now and again because I can’t afford the £40 price tag. Games are getting dearer all the time.

Comment posted on 26/04/2012 at 15:57.