Deus Ex & FFXIII-2 Make Square Enix Profitable Again

Loadsa money.

Square Enix are rolling it in once again, the publisher has confirmed.

The latest set of financials from Squeenix indicate that the company has made 6,060 million yen ($75.75 million) in the past financial year. Considering the publisher reported a heavy net loss of 12,043 million yen or roughly $150 million in the previous year, that’s a pretty significant turnaround.

Yoichi Wada, President of Square Enix, attributed the high level of profit to sales of titles such as Deus Ex Human Revolution and Final Fantasy XIII-2. The company also saw strong growth from its line of browser games and smartphone titles – Sengoku Ixa and Final Fantasy Brigade being the two most noteworthy performers.

Source: Siliconera

Read more:
  1. teflon
    Community Team

Good for them. It’s a bit tough, since they’re so stuck behind the FF franchise, but it’s nice to see them able to get some good profits from other franchises. Especially with fantastic games like Deus Ex HR.

Comment posted on 14/05/2012 at 17:49.
  2. indigo19
    Since: Apr 2012

Deus ex HR is one of my stand out games this gen. Glad their doing well.

Comment posted on 14/05/2012 at 17:55.
  3. Kennykazey
    Since: Mar 2010

Next year should be good for them too with Tomb Raider and FFvsXIII (hopefully).

Comment posted on 14/05/2012 at 18:07.
    • Uhyve
      Since: Sep 2008

Plus Hitman and Sleeping Dogs this year. Ooh and hopefully a less sucky FFXIV, with the 2.0 patch.

Comment posted on 14/05/2012 at 18:23.
  4. MrTwP

Both of them titles are dirt cheap

Comment posted on 14/05/2012 at 18:09.
    • Sympo

yeah I have to try out Deus Ex sooner or later, so cheap now.

Comment posted on 14/05/2012 at 18:16.
      • element666
        Since: Mar 2012

same, i’ll get it at some point!

Comment posted on 14/05/2012 at 19:17.
    • RudeAwakening
      Since: Jan 2011

Yeah i traded in Saints Row The Third for Deus Ex in Gamestop and got Deus for €1

Comment posted on 14/05/2012 at 20:34.
  5. Sympo

Good for Square Enix and great that Deus EX was successful for them… Ehm now I hope they look into more Eidos IP.

Comment posted on 14/05/2012 at 18:17.
  6. Sitorimon
    Since: Jul 2011

Great stuff, I’m glad FF13-2 did relatively well – everyone poo poo’d it before it even hit the shelves and that’s a shame.

Comment posted on 14/05/2012 at 19:18.
  7. tonycawley
    Pint! Pint!

I’m still yet to pick up ff13-2, I played 13 and really enjoyed it so I’ll get it at some point.
    Deus ex hr was great so I’m glad they’re seeing profits now, there’s so much doom and gloom about the failing industry its good to see positive reports for a change.

Comment posted on 14/05/2012 at 19:27.
  8. Kaminari
    Since: Jan 2010

“Square Enix attributed the high level of profit to sales of titles such as Deus Ex Human Revolution and Final Fantasy XIII-2.”

Considering the price of the latter was less than 20 bucks just one month after its release, I highly doubt it. That, or the game must have been dirt cheap to produce (which is a strong possibility).

Comment posted on 14/05/2012 at 20:05.
  9. TSBonyman

Nice to see they’re doing well and clearly, a Deus Ex HR sequel wouldn’t be out of the question.. ;)

Comment posted on 14/05/2012 at 20:09.
  10. samiro05

Deus Ex: Human Revolution was my absolute most favorite game of last year and Final Fantasy XIII-2 was fantastic as my first game of 2012. I’m looking forward to Sleeping Dogs as I know Hong Kong very well. There is bound to be a FFXIII-3 but whether or not that will come this gen is unknown. Anyhoo, they should be proud of the games you mentioned because they are fantastic and deserve to be profitable!

Comment posted on 14/05/2012 at 20:14.