PS Vita Gets £85 Price Cut On 3G Version With Vodafone

With WipEout 2048 still, for now.

Vodafone, if you buy it from their stores, have reduced the price of the 3G PS Vita from £279 to £194, a saving of £85, according to reports.

This is a considerable saving and anyone looking to pick up Sony’s new(ish) handheld might well be tempted, especially as – for now at least – it still comes with the brilliant future-racer WipEout 2048 once you activate the SIM card.

You do need to pick up £10 of data when you buy the Vita, mind, but apparently there’s also a 4GB card included. Some are speculating that this is indicative of an upcoming price cut.

Check with your local Vodafone store before heading out, and let us know how you get on.

1. colossalblue
    Team TSA: Editor

Holy crap. Tempted to buy a 3G one now…

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 12:49.
  2. McProley
    Since: Aug 2011

Goddammit! So much for loyalty to Sony for buying at launch (or close to)

I feel robbed!

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 12:50.
    • nofi
      One for all.

Same happened with the 3DS. And the Xbox 360, kinda.

Don’t worry, mine ended up costing close to £600.

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 12:56.
      • teflon
        Community Team

The Xbox 1 had a huge price cut a month after launch, with all early buyers getting 3 free games for their loyalty. Then the 3DS got free games for their early buyers too. If there’s a price cut so soon, I’d expect the same from Sony.

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 12:58.
      • McProley
        Since: Aug 2011

We can expect it, yes (and hopefully we will) but Sony have a horrible habit of letting us down

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 13:01.
      • bmg_123
        Since: Feb 2012

Well, McProley, the PSN hack brought a few good games for free. Sure, they were probably already owned by most of us, but they were still great games. I got Wipeout HD out of it, so that was certainly not a let down!

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 13:04.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

I never knew that Teflon, I’m hoping for a price-cut then – free games please! :D

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 14:50.
  3. skibadee
    Since: Oct 2009

good deal.

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 12:51.
  4. KeRaSh

That is quite a bargain. Might be the first sign of a permanent price drop.

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 12:51.
  5. bmg_123
    Since: Feb 2012

AH! Oh, you scared me for a second! Got my 3G Vita yesterday from Amazon with Uncharted and a 4gb card for £225. For the standalone unit it’s £210, and you still have the option of getting Wipeout from Vodafone for free!

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 12:52.
    • bmg_123
      Since: Feb 2012

Shouldn’t it read £90 price drop? 280 – 190= 90.
      Also, on my Vita box it says a £5 top-up will get you Wipeout, so I assume the deal is different when you buy through Vodafone?

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 12:56.
      • teflon
        Community Team

The wording cunningly places blame for this mathematical error firmly on the “reports” :P

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 13:00.
  6. Nickboss1
    Since: Mar 2010

If it was £85 off the wifi version i would buy one today.

Lets hope E3 brings a price drop.

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 13:12.
    • cam the man

I bet the odds of a price cut at E3 are very low.

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 13:15.
      • Nickboss1
        Since: Mar 2010

Probably, knowing Sony.

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 13:25.
      • IAmJacksMedullaOblongata
        Since: Nov 2011

Disagree. The device is floundering, 2nd wave of quality software is still months away. The games are too dear. Sony need to shift units. They’ll announce a price cut at E3.

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 14:12.
  7. cc_star
    Team TSA: Writer

It’s a good deal, are these unlocked so I can stick a 3Sim in it? Voda is utter garbage, both on tariffs & shocking data coverage around here.

Voda are obviously making enough off of topups to incentivise purchase in this way, can’t see the wifi model benefiting from anything similar, although if it did… a purchase would be a no-brainer!

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 13:35.
    • Carl
      Since: Jan 2009

Yes, Vita units are unlocked

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 15:19.
      • teflon
        Community Team

If you have an iPhone handy, you can do what I did and get free internets from Orange for a year.

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 16:01.
      • bmg_123
        Since: Feb 2012

Teflon, do you have a link to that deal? I got my 3G vita yesterday and would rather not traverse into the depths of Vodafone hell…

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 21:00.
  8. PoorPaddy89

Was about to throw my toys out of the pram having bought one only two weeks ago! But I only paid £15 more so no big loss.

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 13:42.
  9. Bilbo_bobbins

Here comes the price cuts then. I feel very sorry for those picking it up on launch. Poor form I think.

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 13:52.
    • ico
      Since: Aug 2010

Nah. I picked it up at launch myself with the knowledge that a price cut like the 3ds was probably inevitable. However I didn’t know how long it would take and also assumed that were Sony to do on in the near future they would remember their friends (ie early adopters) with some kind of hopefully generous ambassador package like ninty did. Still hoping. Should we lauch buyers get jack all come the price drop then yes, colour me miffed!

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 14:07.
    • bowie
      Since: Jan 2012

Don’t feel too bad. Anyone who buys consumer electronics and then is surprised or overly disappointed when the price drops or a slightly improved version comes out isn’t really cut out for life in the modern world. If like me you bought a Vita at launch, what is in our best interests is for the console to be successful so that lots of great games get to be made for it. So I hope they cut the price and lots of people get it.

Comment posted on 21/05/2012 at 00:29.
  10. ron_mcphatty
    Since: Sep 2008

Good deal, all they need to do now is push it. I passed the Vodaphone shop at lunch time, no posters up at all.

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 14:03.