Opinion

I Want to See Killzone 4 Right Now

I want to see Sony Kill it again.

Remember this video from E3 in 2005? Sony showed this off to demonstrate how amazing they wanted Killzone 2 to look and then they went quiet on the game for another two years. In 2007, after the PlayStation 3 had been released, they finally showed a new trailer for the game, again at E3. That second trailer wasn’t as breathtakingly polished but it was certainly still very exciting as a showcase for what the console was capable of.

When the game was finally released in February 2009, it was one of the best looking games on console. Since then we’ve had the visual splendour of Uncharted 2 and 3 to divert our attention from the Killzone series but the third outing for the sci-fi FPS series was still very striking.

But it was that first trailer for Killzone 2, a target video really, that stuck in the minds of many early adopters of the PlayStation 3. Now we’re probably less than a year away from seeing the PlayStation 4 or Orbis, as they’re whispering in the development meetings at Sony HQ, and I think we need another big splash. I think we need a Killzone 4 target video.

Guerrilla Games are, we understand, working on another instalment in the franchise. I’m hoping it’s going to be a launch title for the new Sony hardware we’re expecting but I’d like to see it now. I’d like them to release something big and shocking and ballsy that acts as a statement to gamers everywhere. Sure, LittleBigPlanet and Wonderbook are brilliant and necessary.

The Vita is lovely and hopefully we’ll see it better represented in coming months too. But there’s nothing like Killzone to blow the doors off and make Sony’s hardcore fans take notice.

I also think that now is a perfect time to do it. Warfighter is a largely stale and cynical grab at the modern military shooter fan base, rushed out before next week’s release of the next Call of Duty game crushes sales charts for a month or two. Halo 4 is out in a few days to represent the sci-fi shooters and, apparently, it’s really good.

But Sony’s premier first person shooter offers something different from the glut of modern military shooters and, although it’s certainly sci-fi, it’s not really the same kind of sci-fi as the fantastical, colourful vistas that Halo serves up with such aplomb. Killzone is something different entirely.

Killzone 4 has an opportunity, not just to wow PlayStation fans who are beginning to hunger for the next generation of hardware but to drive a stake into the ground and declare itself the standard for true next gen shooters. If Guerrilla dropped another staggering target video before Christmas it would put the series front and centre for the PlayStation brand and show the hardcore fans that, despite the (perfectly sensible) focus on more casual games this Christmas, they haven’t been forgotten about.

With the boxed trilogy hitting shops and the PSN availability of Killzone HD, there’s a great opportunity to increase enthusiasm around the brand generally too.

I’d certainly like to go into 2013 thinking about the potential of Sony’s new hardware for what it can show me on my screen, rather than the steady stream of boring technical specs leaked through dubious sources. They won’t talk about new hardware until they’re ready and that seems like it’s going to be early summer of next year. But they can show software, stick the PlayStation logo on the end and then refuse to comment on whether it’s PS3 or next gen. We’d all go crazy for that.

I want to be wowed by seeing something I’d never considered possible on a console. I want to see something amazing and fresh and beautiful. I want PlayStation to innovate and surprise me as I sit amid the CoD clones and yearn for some gritty, serious sci-fi. I want to see Killzone 4.

1. Taylor Made
    Since: Oct 2011

You have to wait for mercenary first :p but yes can’t wait to see what K4 looks like they always have the best trailers too & hope they let us play from Helghan perspective rather than ISA no one likes them

Comment posted on 02/11/2012 at 19:06.
  2. gideon1451

This is a lovely idea. Would be a brilliant Christmas present from Guerilla.

Comment posted on 02/11/2012 at 19:14.
  3. bmg_123
    Since: Feb 2012

It would be great to get a trailer before Christmas, but overall I’m a little less enthusiastic about the series right now. Killzone 3 was a bit rushed in terms of story compared to 2. Also, I just can’t keep the idea of MGS: Ground Zeroes out of my head. The trailer shown from MGS was also in-game, not a target render, so that gives me something to be excited about.
    Either way, Guerrilla would have a tough time beating that 2005 trailer…

Comment posted on 02/11/2012 at 19:19.
  4. ThatMattKid
    Since: Jan 2010

I think the opening trailer for Killzone 2 was by far one of the most amazing openings to a game I’ve ever seen in a video game.

“They’ll know, Helgan belongs to the Helgast”

Gives me goosebumps every time!

Comment posted on 02/11/2012 at 20:16.
  5. Sympozium

Didn’t get into Killzone 2 much thanks to ylods and corruptness, but indeed it was rather nice graphically. Imho I’d rather see a target video for a new IP rather than Killzone 4 but meh might as go for it and obviously Motorstorm too because the first trailer (I think?) looked amazing back in the day.

Comment posted on 02/11/2012 at 20:28.
  6. Roynaldo
    Since: Nov 2008

I think if this happened i might possibly unload something undesirable, yet fertile.

Comment posted on 02/11/2012 at 21:47.
  7. Alex C
    One for all.

You know what, in some ways I think the intro of Killzone 2 – the first real level – actually got pretty damned close. Killzone 2 is still a beautiful game, and a teaser for 4 would be awesome, it really would.

Comment posted on 02/11/2012 at 22:10.
    • teflon
      Community Team

I’d say it was 95-99% there. A bit of fade in, etc. etc. but everyone that scoffed at the 2005 trailer was stunned by the 2007 re-appearance that really demonstrated that yes, they had managed to get that calibre of graphics out of the PS3.

Comment posted on 02/11/2012 at 23:01.
  8. HelixSundown
    Since: Aug 2011

I’m always ready for more Killzone.

Comment posted on 02/11/2012 at 22:57.
  9. bunimomike

Show everyone THE Dead Island trailer and then announce it’s all running in-game. I would require several very quick changes of underwear and a mop.

Comment posted on 02/11/2012 at 23:21.
    • SilverCider
      Since: Jan 2011

Just sit in a bucket without clothes, saves you some hassle.

Comment posted on 03/11/2012 at 13:52.
  10. Kennykazey
    Since: Mar 2010

Do you know something we don’t? A new Killzone trailer in time for Christmas would be awesome, but I’d rather it be a new IP by Guerilla, I want to see them try their hands at something else.

Comment posted on 02/11/2012 at 23:47.
    • Peter Chapman
      Team TSA: Editor

No, I know much less than most. ;)
      Just speculating (and hoping).

Comment posted on 03/11/2012 at 00:56.
      • Kennykazey
        Since: Mar 2010

I see… You’re like Manuel from Barcelona and know nothing, right? :-P
        It seems like too good of an idea for Sony to show next gen stuff yet. They most likely fear it’ll impact current gen hardware sales. I expect we’ll start to see teasers and stuff around the same time Sony started trickling things for E3 this year, so in spring. But the world ends in December, darn!

Comment posted on 03/11/2012 at 09:11.