Published Wii U Release Schedule Looks A Bit Sparse

Perfect, if you don't have much free time on your hands.

Nintendo has released a list of all the games currently scheduled for release on the Wii U. It doesn’t look that great, considering that it accounts for the first half of the year. We can only assume (and hope) that this is a preliminary list because there’s plenty more waiting to be confirmed.

The next hotly anticipated first party release, Pikmin 3, is listed for “Q2 2013″ which means it’ll be springtime before we see it. LEGO City Undercover, also quite widely anticipated, is only listed as “Early 2013″. So there’s plenty of ambiguity still in the list.

The releases kick off with Ninja Gaiden Razor’s Edge this week. The karaoke party game arrives a month after the major party season on the 18th before Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth finishes off the month’s releases.

• Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge (Nintendo) – January 11th
  • Sing Party (Nintendo) – January 18th
  • Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth (Ubisoft) – January 24th
  • Scribblenauts Unlimited (Nintendo) – February 8th
  • NBA 2K13 (2K Games) – February 11th
  • Rayman Legends (Ubisoft) – February 28th
  • F1 Star Stars (Codemasters) – March 1st
  • Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Capcom) – March
  • The Croods: Prehistoric Party (Namco Bandai) – March
  • Aliens: Colonial Marines (Sega) – Q1 2013
  • Need for Speed: Most Wanted (EA) – Q1 2013
  • LEGO City Undercover (Nintendo) – Early 2013
  • Pikmin 3 (Nintendo) – Q2 2013

The platform’s digital release schedule looks even less inspiring. Just three titles are currently confirmed for digital releases in the first half of the year and none have firm dates, they’re simply listed as “Q1.”

• BIT.TRIP Presents: Runner 2 (Gaijin Games) – Q1 2013
  • Mutant Mudds Deluxe (Renegade Kid) – Q1 2013
  • The Cave (Sega) – Q1 2013

It’s very likely that this isn’t a full list but if that is the case then why release it now? As it is, it’s not likely to be a welcome sight for people who just spent £300 on the console a couple of months ago.

Source: Press release

1. Sympozium

The digital releases are rather disappointing, by the way is this for Europe?

Comment posted on 10/01/2013 at 13:33.
    • Peter Chapman
      Team TSA: Editor

yes, it’s for Europe.

Comment posted on 10/01/2013 at 13:40.
      • Sympozium

Nice, looking forward to Monster Hunter as usual from me :D Would’ve thought it was later.

Comment posted on 10/01/2013 at 13:55.
  2. Tuffcub
    On the naughty step.

Five of those are already out on other consoles. Way to go Ninty!

Comment posted on 10/01/2013 at 13:40.
  3. cam the man

Nothing there that would tempt me into buying a U.

Comment posted on 10/01/2013 at 13:45.
    • Peter Chapman
      Team TSA: Editor

there’s a few there I’m looking forward to (LEGO, Scribblenauts and Pikmin were all reasons I was happy to get a Wii U) but I’d like a few more on the schedule, I’ve already run out of things I want to be playing on it.

Comment posted on 10/01/2013 at 13:50.
  4. Blair Inglis
    hisnameisblair

Guys, Rayman Legends. Practically the reason I bought a Wii U.

Nothing else matters.

Comment posted on 10/01/2013 at 13:57.
    • KeRaSh

The delayed release is one of the reasons I didn’t pick up a Wii U on release. It’s basically the only title on that list that I’m really interested in. I know I’m probably going to pick up a Wii U at some point but I’d still like to be able to hold off for another while and just play it on the PS3 and/or Vita.
      With an expensive summer vacation and an even more expensive wedding in the near future, I’m not sure I want to spend the money on a new console. I barely have time to play the games I already own, yet alone finish them all, so another console is everything but a necessity right now… Damn, look at me, reasoning like a grown up… I’m getting too old for this… NOT! >_>

Comment posted on 10/01/2013 at 14:24.
      • KeRaSh

Well, LEGO City Undercover seems pretty neat, too.

Comment posted on 10/01/2013 at 14:25.
      • Blair Inglis
        hisnameisblair

ZombiU is great too.

Comment posted on 10/01/2013 at 14:30.
      • Sympozium

Same, decided to wait for Monster Hunter

Comment posted on 11/01/2013 at 01:52.
  5. jimmy-google

Looks better than the Vita list. Apart from Ratchet & Clank in January and Sly Cooper in March I’m not sure anything else has a release date. Most are just 2013 (if that) and that list isn’t long (Killzone, Persona 4, Lego Marvel, Tearaway and Soul Sacrifice). That’s about 1 game every 2 months.

There’s nothing on the Wii U list that would tempt me to get one. I doubt that would change even if I didn’t already own a console.

Comment posted on 10/01/2013 at 14:00.
    • Joshua Hood
      Small briefcase w*nker

Hehe, great minds and all that jazz.

Comment posted on 10/01/2013 at 14:05.
  6. Joshua Hood
    Small briefcase w*nker

Well the Vita line-up for the first half of this year is Ratchet this month, Sly and Persona in March, and the Lego Chima game in early summer and that’s it. So in comparison, the Wii U lineup is pretty good! :P

Comment posted on 10/01/2013 at 14:04.
    • mrfodder

Dead or Alive and Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 are due in March as well. But still not great by any stretch.

Comment posted on 10/01/2013 at 14:56.
  7. LTG Davey
    andUandU

List seems alright. Rayman, Pikmin, MH and Lego City are the big ones for me which sounds like plenty of content to last me the next 6 months – hell, MH alone will probably keep most owners busy for months.
    Will be interesting to see when Wonderful101 and Bayonetta2 make an appearence.

Comment posted on 10/01/2013 at 14:05.
  8. Zimsalabim
    Since: Aug 2010

It’s the Dreamcast all over again. That had a ’2nd screen’ too, remember.

Nah, just kidding. after all, at least this time round, EA are all over it! Err…

Comment posted on 10/01/2013 at 14:55.
    • jimmy-google

So did the ps1 in Japan (the pocketstation), though I think FF8 was just about the only game to use it.

Comment posted on 10/01/2013 at 16:10.
  9. aerobes

I’m not sure it’s the rather short list of upcoming games or the fact I don’t have enough time to play what I want on my PS3 and 3DS to accommodate another console that puts me off the WiiU and Vita.

Comment posted on 10/01/2013 at 15:33.
  10. Kennykazey
    Since: Mar 2010

Terrible. This has to be the worst launch of a Nintendo console ever.

Comment posted on 10/01/2013 at 16:18.
    • Zimsalabim
      Since: Aug 2010

Yep. If it wasn’t for Ubi chipping in, this would have FAIL written all over it and I say that as a Ninty fan of over 20 years.

The market’s moved on and left them behind. They should follow Sega’s example and become platform agnostic. Their biggest assets are their IP, NOT the platforms on which to run them – or am I missing something here? Mario on IOS / Android? No-brainer.

Comment posted on 10/01/2013 at 21:34.
      • Kennykazey
        Since: Mar 2010

Mobile Super Mario? No thanks. Super Mario on PS4? Yes please.

Comment posted on 10/01/2013 at 22:25.
      • Zimsalabim
        Since: Aug 2010

IOS or PS4 doesn’t matter. It’s got to be IOS or Android if you look at the installed base, though. PS4 won’t be around in significant numbers for 3 years from this point.
        Also, I said Mario – not ‘Super Mario’. The character’s the IP, not the titles in which he appears. Therefore, if Ninty were to create some new character experiences geared to those touchscreen platforms it might thrive, rather than drive the SMB square peg into the smart phone round hole.

Comment posted on 11/01/2013 at 10:34.