Sony Starts To Gently Mock Its Competitors In Advance Of PS4 Reveal

Jump Out! We giggled.

Finally, after floating around quietly for far too long, Sony is starting to get (mildly) aggressive with its advertising campaigns. The platform holder has normally stayed away from directly referencing the competition (at least on a company-wide scale) but a couple of well placed Google ads pointing to the initial video have changed that overnight.

“Jump Out!” says one, before reminding everyone that “PlayStation Changes Gaming 2/20″. The first bit’s a dig in the ribs of Microsoft’s “Jump In” campaign, and the second part is obviously pointing to next Wednesday’s big reveal.

There’s at least one more, too – “Yoga Isn’t Gaming”, it says, followed by “See What PlayStation’s Got 2/20″. That’s either a poke at Kinect, or maybe even the Wii. It’s refreshing to see Sony doing this sort of thing – clearly targeting gamers – but it’s building anticipation for the PS4 reveal that they’re really going to have to meet.

You’ll need to find a site running Google Ads, but they’re there, across desktop and mobile devices, and it feels like another console war is just around the corner.

It’s all about next Wednesday. We’ll be there.

1. hannes_truce
    Since: Sep 2008

This almost makes me more excited that what they announce next week. Sony? Marketing?

Comment posted on 15/02/2013 at 10:20.
    • f4rgo
      Since: Dec 2011

I know! I had to pinch myself to make sure I was awake.

Comment posted on 15/02/2013 at 11:43.
  2. Haydar
    Since: Mar 2012

I’m sure many XBox users (in US) are unaware of how great/masterpiece games are created for Playstation system for the last 10 years. That’s because of Sony’s helpless advertising departments so i don’t blame gamers.

If they will be aggressive with the weapons like PS+ and exclusive games this time, Sony can win by a large margin.

Anyway, i (will) support the company who served me games like Flower, Papo & Yo, OKAMI, ICO, Journey, Unfinished Swan etc., at all costs.

Comment posted on 15/02/2013 at 10:24.
  3. ortidog
    Since: Jul 2010

XBox: IN
    PlayStation: OUT
    Wii: Shake it all about…

Comment posted on 15/02/2013 at 10:25.
  4. Dar-Kaus
    Since: Apr 2009

Their new Marketing company is starting to show it’s colors, and if this is their first salvo it teases at whats to come when the broadside of Wednesday comes.

Comment posted on 15/02/2013 at 10:40.
    • Bilbo_bobbins

Just about to put that. It’s about time Sony did some “proper” advertising and it seems their new campaign from this new company will actually provide them with some decent coverage for the PS4.

Microsoft have played on Sonys lack of advertising for a long while, but I feel they have a bit of a fight on their hands this time round.

Bring on 2/20 or 20/2 as we put it in the UK.

Comment posted on 15/02/2013 at 11:37.
  5. McProley
    Since: Aug 2011

Refreshing to see Sony starting a decent marketing campaign. Lets hope they keep the momentum

Comment posted on 15/02/2013 at 10:51.
  6. kjkg
    Since: Apr 2010

Wonder if this new tact is due to the fresh company doing the promotional stuff, reported a while back.

Comment posted on 15/02/2013 at 10:53.
  7. Kennykazey
    Since: Mar 2010

Not long left now. Sony is holding the event at a location that’ll fit over 2000 people, let’s hope they deliver.

Comment posted on 15/02/2013 at 10:57.
  8. JBoo
    Banned
    Since: Oct 2011

This comment is hidden.

Comment posted on 15/02/2013 at 11:20.
    • yiddo
      Since: Jun 2010

I’m going to try and say this without coming across as a penis.

We are all excited for whatever Sony’s Wednesday announcement will bring, and I am not going to take away from your very obvious excitement and glee for that day. But you are aware that Sony aren’t a perfect company, right? In fact they made a hell of a lot of mistakes. It was hard for them to defend themselves quite frankly, because when they did they normally ended up lying, backtracking or making themselves look like general fools.

I love Sonys gaming products, I haven’t owned any other consoles apart from PlayStations (but i’ll probs pick up a cheap 360 soon, play the exclusives and what not), but even I can admit they still make a hell of a lot of mistakes.

Comment posted on 15/02/2013 at 11:45.
      • Starman
        Since: Jul 2011

Well I agree with you Yiddo, whilst Sony always create great things, they let themselves down on basic things like customer service. I had several problems last year and trying to communicate with their shoddy customer service dept & forum help was impossible.

And mocking motion gaming seems a bit daft after their own failure to support PS move. (as I said before, great tech, poor support of it)

Comment posted on 15/02/2013 at 12:35.
      • jimmy-google

I saw that as them mocking Wii Fit rather than motion gaming as a whole.

Comment posted on 15/02/2013 at 13:12.
    • KeRaSh

Yeah, you keep telling yourself that…

Comment posted on 15/02/2013 at 11:49.
    • Sympozium

Its a shame you’d think that way I guess…

Comment posted on 15/02/2013 at 21:39.
  9. Jumping Monks
    Legend
    Since: Jan 2009

Well, I guess this erases any doubt people may have had about the meeting merely being about a vita slim. It’s also refreshing to see some reasonably decent marketing from Sony, even if it is just google ads.

Comment posted on 15/02/2013 at 11:29.
  10. dude90

Haha I find it quite hilarious, can’t seem to load the Gaf page though.

Comment posted on 15/02/2013 at 11:40.
    • yiddo
      Since: Jun 2010

Same here, Gaf not loading up at all.

Comment posted on 15/02/2013 at 11:46.