Sony On PlayStation Plus And PS4 - "We Definitely See That As A Core Part Of The Way Forward"

SCEE's Jim Ryan talks added value, but will Plus be the ticket to streaming?

Speaking to PlayStation’s Fred Dutton, Jim Ryan (President and CEO, SCEE) has said that PlayStation Plus is very much a “core part of the way forward” with regards to the newly announced PlayStation 4, but also reiterated that there’s plenty of life left in the PS3.

“We’re very happy with the service that we’ve been able to offer with PS Plus,” he said. “It’s been really well received – the value is quite extraordinary and the take-up has trebled over the course of the past year.”

“We definitely see that as a core part of the way forward.”

Sadly, Sony aren’t yet talking about what PlayStation Plus might mean on the new platform. It’s unlikely, for example, to expand into an Instant Game Collection from the off. Perhaps it’ll be multi-tiered, with several price points opening up things like streaming, or cross-game chat.

“We’re not yet in a position to disclose our plans for the future of PlayStation Plus,” Ryan added, “but there will definitely be a prominent role to play for it in the PlayStation 4 landscape.”

Ryan didn’t seem phased about the PS3, either, now that PS4 is out there. “Typically history can help us only so far here,” he said.

“We’re actually still selling PS2s in regions such as the Middle East seven years after we introduced PS3,” he continued. “There are a number of reasons why the transition might be a bit more accelerated this time round, but PS3 is a very important part of our portfolio, certainly in 2013, 2014 and probably beyond that.”

“I’d point to the software line-up on PS3 that we have coming up – God of War: Ascension next month, The Last of Us, which is looking great, and Beyond later in the year. And there’s other stuff yet to be announced which is highly significant too.”

“There’s a lot coming on PS3 and it’s going to be very important to us for some time yet.”

Via PlayStation.

1. mclarenrob2
    Since: Jul 2012

Yet to be announced, GT6.

Comment posted on 01/03/2013 at 15:49.
  2. frostface
    Since: Dec 2011

I love my PS3, I really do, but since the announcement of PS4 I can’t look at it in the same way anymore. But PS+ is phenomenal value and on the back my experience with it now, I’m sold on whatever direction it takes in the future on whatever console.

Comment posted on 01/03/2013 at 16:13.
  3. bunimomike

His closing paragraphs fill me with confidence in how Sony treat the twilight years of their consoles. I know we’re all used to it but reaffirmation is always a good thing when it comes to stuff like this. It earns respect and even a smidge of slack when they screw me over with something else! :-P

Comment posted on 01/03/2013 at 16:33.
    • Motalla
      Since: Dec 2011

Yes, it feels good to be taken seriously by console company. Never again do I want to live through an other debacle like when Microsoft just euthanised the original xbox.

Comment posted on 01/03/2013 at 16:47.
      • bunimomike

My mate (who has most consoles ever released) has been thoroughly miserable with the 360 over the last 24 to 36 months as he has no time for Kinect and wants to enjoy the console the way it started out. With great games for the hardcore/enthusiast gamer.

Comment posted on 01/03/2013 at 17:07.
  4. cam the man

Won’t be surprised to see 2 or 3 tiers to Plus on PS4. Top tier to include Gaikai?

Comment posted on 01/03/2013 at 17:46.
  5. bobeast
    Since: Mar 2013

Yup. Much more to come for PS3….and then throw it all away to buy a PS4…..not.

Comment posted on 01/03/2013 at 17:46.
  6. hazelam

i’ll still be using my PS3 long after the PS4 launches, even long after i buy one, assuming it stays functional.

Comment posted on 01/03/2013 at 18:09.
  7. The Lone Steven
    Never heard of him.

I plan on keeping my PS3 and will let it die of natural causes whilst i have a PS4. Only to replace it’s barely cold corpse with a slimmer version.(mine’s an 80GB phat one). Sony do treat their consoles well. I wonder if they will keep PSN up for a few years once support for the PS3 runs out? And allowing people to download their PSN stuff as i would be furious if i booted up my PS3 in a few years time, only to discover that the DLC i wanted to download or the game i wanted to download could no longer be downloaded.

Comment posted on 01/03/2013 at 19:01.
  8. stonyk

My plan is to put the PS3 into the bedroom to replace the 360. Blu-ray player in the bedroom as well as downstairs.

Comment posted on 01/03/2013 at 22:09.
  9. CR8ZYH0RSE
    Since: Sep 2012

Considering the social aspect of the PS4 and it being a big part of it i can’t see cross game chat coming out as part of ps plus tier structure.I think it should come as standard otherwise they would be taking a step backwards imo.

Comment posted on 02/03/2013 at 00:37.
  10. Blair Inglis
    hisnameisblair

Hope so, mine runs until December 2014!

Comment posted on 02/03/2013 at 01:15.